Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got some snow and ice here in the Marietta, GA area and I just HAD to get out to try my BE. We had about an inch of ice covered with about an inch of snow. My driveway is uphill to the house and so is the street leaving my driveway. I put it in all of the modes i.e. normal-snow-mud-sand and tried to get wheel spin. I am very impressed with the traction even though I have the stock Firestone tires. I have a bad hill going out of my drive way and I have always had problems. I had NO problems with the BE and I am a happy camper. I think I'll keep it!
:grin:

·
Registered
377 Posts
9" here and the RL handled it just fine.
Stock Firestones will work great for those with good snow/ice driving techniques.

Reactions: Rondo and flyboy76

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
9" here and the RL handled it just fine.
Stock Firestones will work great for those with good snow/ice driving techniques.
Been driving in ice/snow for years. Previous vehicle with LTX M/S 2's did fine until I put the winter tires on...just had to be a little more cautious. Firestones were, at least for me, horrid. The RL was quite stressful to drive in the first few storms we had. Put the snow tires on (X-Ice 2's) and the RL turned into a beast on the road....my experience kept me safe on the Firestones; however, I'm not putting them back on the truck when I swap the snowies out in the spring....I found them below average, even as an A/S....

JMHO.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Been driving in ice/snow for years. Previous vehicle with LTX M/S 2's did fine until I put the winter tires on...just had to be a little more cautious. Firestones were, at least for me, horrid. The RL was quite stressful to drive in the first few storms we had. Put the snow tires on (X-Ice 2's) and the RL turned into a beast on the road....my experience kept me safe on the Firestones; however, I'm not putting them back on the truck when I swap the snowies out in the spring....I found them below average, even as an A/S....

JMHO.
Flagstaff, yeah you know your stuff. So what will you replace with when the snows come off?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We had 7-8" snow plus icy roadways where shade hindered plowing and chemical application and I drove with no issues whatever. Used snow mode and normal off-road on my property and really saw no differences. And yes I have the OEM Firestones! So far I am very pleased.

·
Registered
220 Posts
About 8" here in central NC and my BE did great. I originally tried in normal mode and then tried in snow mode. You could tell starting out that it was in a lower gear but honestly didn't have any issues in normal mode so I just left it in normal mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Flagstaff, yeah you know your stuff. So what will you replace with when the snows come off?
I sure liked those LTX M/S 2's that I had on my Tacoma...will certainly consider them since I thought they were a great, quiet, smooth riding all season...

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Drove mine today off road some pulling my snowmobile trailer to the mountains of Western Pa. No issues with the stock Firestones so far. We'll see what the rest of winter brings.

Steve

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I sure liked those LTX M/S 2's that I had on my Tacoma...will certainly consider them since I thought they were a great, quiet, smooth riding all season...
I had a feeling you were going to say that. They are pricey but do not come in an O.E. size. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I had a feeling you were going to say that. They are pricey but do not come in an O.E. size. Thanks for the reply.
Hadn't even looked, yet...thanks for the heads up.

When I went on tirerack.com, the one that stood out for more research for me was the new Premier LTX. We had a set of the Premier A/S as the last set of tires on our '13 Avalon sedan (drove it a lot before trading it for an Acura RDX for the wife) and they were some of the best passenger tires (smooth, quiet, handled well, and did well in rain and light to moderate snow) I'd ever ridden on for an A/S. They use sunflower oil in the tread compound and this supposedly keeps them softer in cold conditions, resulting in better winter all-season handling and they changed the tread pattern to allow for better water distribution away from the tread. Not sure if the Premier LTX is the same; however, that will now be my first look tire to replace the Firestones at the end of winter...(pricey or not, as a retired accident constructionist, I see tires as a major safety investment).

·
Registered
377 Posts

JMHO.
I doubt you have anywhere the experience I do as I outlined in an earlier post about my job at Snowshoe.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/155865-winter-snow-performance-just-meh-3.html#post2307185

You must have $$$ to burn.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I doubt you have anywhere the experience I do as I outlined in an earlier post about my job at Snowshoe.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/155865-winter-snow-performance-just-meh-3.html#post2307185

You must have $$$ to burn.
Not interested in getting into a competition over who has how much experience....I don't doubt yours at all and haven't challenged your statements.

No money to burn, just prefer safety over saving a few bucks. I may have had a bad set of Destinations; however, not interested in keeping them, based upon their poor performance for me in both dry and wet/ice/snow conditions. You are welcome to keep yours, if they work well for you. I'm just sharing my personal experience regarding the Firestones, which has been poor. Forums are for sharing experiences and opinions. Ours, regarding the Firestones, just happen to differ.

Peace.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Safety?

No

No money to burn, just prefer safety over saving a few bucks. . Forums are for sharing experiences and opinions. Ours, regarding the Firestones, just happen to differ.
You absolutely cannot prove that there is anything 'unsafe” about the running the Firestones.
That's a hyperbolic opinion you won't be able to support.
And for the record, looks the more sensible “drive the stock tires” crew outnumbers those who feel less confident w/o the added expenses and the change-out hassles of unloading their wallets and buying “winter” tires.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I may have had a bad set of Destinations; however, not interested in keeping them, based upon their poor performance for me in both dry and wet/ice/snow conditions. You are welcome to keep yours, if they work well for you.
A "bad"set? All four are *defective*?
Give me a break!
Man you are desperate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Some will never listen.
Really just can't get used to people making such dumb claims.
“Bad set of tires” is nothing but an over active imagination.
There are a few situations where dedicated snow tires with studs (if LEGAL) might be a smart choice but my point is that the MAJORITY of RL owners DO NOT need to blow two grand for MORE tires and wheels to drive safely in deep snow.
Same thing Consumer Reports recommends and Tire Rack surveys have shown.

One post shows how some NOT serious you are about this topic: "how do I unsubscribe from the craziest thread on the internets?"

Its easy,
for most.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have destination LE2's on my CRV that are date stamped in 2014. All four of them have a dry rot line in the center. About 30k on them. Overall, was ok with the tire but now can't reuse them come spring. As far as the RL is concerned I wil eventually need something better for the winter. I can't stand the ABS clicking in every time I hit the brakes. The RL has good pull off traction but braking and turning traction is a whole different concept that can only be improved with snows.

All seasons are ok if you go slow but I'd take an average driver with snows and stability control over a driver with "techniques" and all seasons. There are many high and mighty folks that think that they are better than technology and don't need it but once you have snows and you get caught in a storm there is no going back. With 4WD and snows you can go anywhere anytime. No advance planning necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I'm a believer in snow tires. I've used several different sets of all-seasons and snows over the last two years, in snow/ice/slush conditions, and there is no question that the snow tires are more effective.

Can I get by with all-seasons year-round? Sure. Do I feel safer with winter tires from November through March? Abso-frickin-lutely!!! Biggest plus is knowing you're you can dodge the goofballs with all-seasons that are sliding around on the highway. Yes, there are people that know how to drive with all-season tires in the snow, but there are a WHOLE lot of people that shouldn't be out there. Snow tires are the best insurance when you have to drive somewhere amongst the goofballs.

As for expense, it's a wash. All-seasons last longer by not being used November - March, rims don't have to be expensive, and the money you save by avoiding fender-benders can pay you back many times over. In life-threatening situations, it's a no-brainer.

Also, a separate set of tires automatically gives you full-size spare(s) if and when you want them!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
A "bad"set? All four are *defective*?
Give me a break!
Man you are desperate.
Desperate? You are trying to get into an argument. I refuse to do that. Even if it is one of four that is bad, that is enough. The fact that the vehicle runs smoother, quieter, gets better gas mileage, and has lost it's vibration after taking the Firestones off, replacing them with snow tires, no less, is enough for me, and that's before speaking of the better ice/snow traction. You don't have to believe what I say....again, no argument to have.

You absolutely cannot prove that there is anything 'unsafe” about the running the Firestones.
That's a hyperbolic opinion you won't be able to support.
And for the record, looks the more sensible “drive the stock tires” crew outnumbers those who feel less confident w/o the added expenses and the change-out hassles of unloading their wallets and buying “winter” tires.
Confidence has nothing to do with it. Again, no argument to get into. Your OPINION differs from mine. End of story.

Some will never listen.
Really just can't get used to people making such dumb claims.
“Bad set of tires” is nothing but an over active imagination.
There are a few situations where dedicated snow tires with studs (if LEGAL) might be a smart choice but my point is that the MAJORITY of RL owners DO NOT need to blow two grand for MORE tires and wheels to drive safely in deep snow.
Same thing Consumer Reports recommends and Tire Rack surveys have shown.

One post shows how some NOT serious you are about this topic: "how do I unsubscribe from the craziest thread on the internets?"

Its easy,
for most.
I put my two decades of accident reconstruction behind my OPINION. I remember in one of the first sessions at the Northwestern Traffic Institute, the instructor showed us statistics that basically said that 90% of all drivers felt they were excellent drivers and that they also felt that 90% of the other drivers on the road were not. I don't categorize anyone, including you, in any group. We all have different experience and roadway conditions to drive in. My personal recommendation, based upon knowledge, training, and experience, is what it is. I don't bash your recommendation or opinion. It belongs in the pool and people can choose.

Again, not sure why you are trying to argue your points. They have validity. In this case, there is no right or wrong, just what is best for different people with different situations. I happen to go more towards the basic philosophy espoused here:

Why All-Wheel Drive Isn't Enough in Winter » AutoGuide.com News

And here:

5 Tips When Making the Switch to Winter Tires » AutoGuide.com News

Not sure why you resort to comments like 'desperate' and 'hyperbolic'. Seems like you want to argue, or attack. I certainly don't and wish you safe winter driving.

Peace.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the OEM firestones too and they work pretty good. The aren't studded by any means but here in Alaska they do fine as long as your not driving like you would on dry pavement. Deep snow or ice are fine. But if they aren't go for some studs of dedicated winter tire.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts