Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Honda falsely advertise the bed as being "scratch resistant"?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe i'm just in a bad mood, but it really frustrates me that I am afraid to haul anything in the "scratch resistant" bed because I don't want to scratch it up. It seems that the even drying the bed with a towel the wrong way could scratch it! Ok, that's a bit excessive, but you all know what I mean. I realize that Honda has come out with a bed scratch repair kit, but come on, we shouldn't be forced to buy it because Honda falsely advertised the scratch resistance of the bed. To me, and really, the least sophisticated comsumer, "scratch resistant" means that it would resist most scratching from general everyday use, but this is clearly not the case. Does anyone agree that Honda needs to step up to the plate and resolve this issue once and for all?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have owned many trucks of all brands in the past. My ridgeline bed does not scratch as easily as any stock bed on any other truck. Logic dictates that ANY surface will scratch. The trucks I owned with a painted steel bed scratched easily and rusted. When I installed a basic drop in bedliner, guess what...it scratched too. On one truck I had a sprayed in bed liner...yep, you guessed it...it scratched too. You could not notice it as bad because of its rough surface and flat finish. My Honda bed has some scratches in it and thats ok. I feel that if you shove cinder blocks across it ( or furniture or boards or or or) it will scratch. I even had a truck with a bed mat in it and the bed mat got scratched also! I don't feel Honda misled me because I listened and read their ads. It said "scratch resistant" not scratch proof and it did not compare the bed to anything else, such as paint, rubber, steel, titanium, etc. If you use a truck to haul stuff, and you push an object across the surface, it will scratch...period. Sorry I don't agree with you, but my bed does not scratch as "easily" as standard truck beds with painted surfaces,and this is what most trucks come with from the factory. Just my observation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a Toyota bed liner in my '94 truck. I could drag anything across it and it would still look the same (looked good after 10 years). Even after unloading ton after ton of mulch with a mini pitchfork year after year the look never changed. With the Ridge bed, if I take plastic recycling containers two miles down the road it gets all scratched. THIS IRRITATES ME!:mad: The whole "it's a truck..." doesn't fly with me.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Flies with me just fine. I guess I'm the only one who feels this way so far. A can of paint will fix it up real nice prior to resale.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I haul stuff. My '98 Ranger had a bed liner, it showed scratches. My Ridgeline shows scratches. Who cares? I don't care. When someone admires the truck they don't look in the bed and say," Geez, you got scratches!":rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
The claim was poorly stated. The material shows its scratches way too easily. White scratch marks on a black material!?!?!?! Really Honda, how could you miss that?

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
My truck's bed is pretty scratched up from hauling various items. I don't care. Like other posters have stated, a can of black paint will solve the problem.

I was always under the impression that it was scratch resistant but not scratch proof.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've hauled some pretty nasty loads in my RL and have yet to "scratch" the surface. Do have have the white "scuff" marks yes, but the surface does not have any grooves, dents or dings.

I freaked when I gave it the 1st scuff mark but over time I came around to the reason I bought a truck, to haul things I don't want in my SUV.

Hey at least these marks won't rust and you can always swap out the panels if it bugs you too much.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It's A Truck.....:d

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are some great responses guys (and gals)! Believe it or not, I have had a wide range of emotions about the bed. I started off being anal about it, then I got some scratches and I just accepted it, then I hauled a cooler and got more scratches so I got frustrated again. That's when I found the touchup paint. I was about to order some and I was like "wait a minute, why should I have to pay to cover up Honda's problem". Now today, i'm back to "it's just a truck". LOL!

I'm sure many of you have gone through this as well.

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
I got a little smirk out of this topic today because we went through this 3 years ago on the EOC site because the Element was advertised as having "scratch resistant panels" but people complained (rightly) that they were scratching much easier than they'd hoped. I don't recall seeing the exact words in their earlier advertising, but I do recall reading something about Honda toning down the advertising later about just how tough those panels really were.

That being said, at least a truck bed is not as visible as side panels on the Element. I remember my first truck bed and how I kept that thing wiped down for a good six months and then someone I respect finally kicked me and said "would you knock it off...it's a truck". :)

I let it get a few scratches, but I still secretly wiped it down in the garage.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't know what your talking about. I hauled a load of sleeping bags just the other day and not a single scratch.:D

But seriously, I don't think it's a problem at all. I keep a blanket in the trunk to throw down for items that might scratch and I have a 4x5 sheet of plywood to lay down if I ever need to throw a 500 lb cast iron stove in the back.

If you have scratches, I hear motor oil will bring back the finish. That's from a Honda factory employee, so I'll take his word for it. If you try it, post back and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
My first scratches came from sliding a cardboard box into the bed. Learned my lesson quick, I now use my trailer for hauling or put carpet down before loading any type of cargo. This has been a big disapointment to me! The only other gripe I have is the headlight switch, the worst location they could have picked. Otherwise I love my truck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I put a 500 LB table saw in the back and scratched the crap out of it, now I am definitely in the it is a truck so what category but I voted that they said it was scratch resistant not scratch proof as I think Honda properly stated the capabilities of the bed. If I had my way, I would push them to mix black dye in with the composite material in their 2007 run so that when you scratched it you hit a black material instead of white. I think this would end the complaints of at least 50% of people who don't like that it turns white. The others who are picking on scratches, I don't know what the problem is, because even sliding this behemoth across the bed, I don't have any deep gouges in my bed, just light scratches of white (and a few of red where the bed won out over the saw's metal crate). I guess it depends on what you want to call a scratch versus say a scrape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have hauled a yard full of tree branches after Hurricane Wilma (5 trips to the dump), sheets of sheetrock, cement bags, landscape rocks, mulch, bags of aggregate...[get the picture?] and I have narry a SCRATCH in the Ridge's bed. Now I'm going to play semantics here but it is for rhetorical effect: I have numerous WHITE scuff marks, but no SCRATCHES. Scuff marks I don't care about [it's a truck for crying out loud!!!], but the bed is not scratched after all those uses.

·
Registered
383 Posts
captmiddy said:
If I had my way, I would push them to mix black dye in with the composite material in their 2007 run so that when you scratched it you hit a black material instead of white. I think this would end the complaints of at least 50% of people
Right on Captmiddy! It is just the contrast of white scuffs on black that is a little annoying, but in the grand scheme of things, the white scuffs will not rust.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your replies. I should probably clairify my position. It's the white marks that I am referring to when I talk about the scratches. I know the bed is going to get some wear and tear marks, but it's the white contrast that frustrate me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, I don't really care about the scratches but if Honda advertised the bed as "scratch resistant", I'd have to say they missed the mark on this one. It didn't take me long to put ther first scratch in the bed. I was just transporting a bicycle. Again I don't really care but I was shocked at how easy it was. Ok maybe they're not "scratches" but "scuffs" and Honda can make the claim that the bed is "scratch resistant" but they forgot the small print "scuffs like hell".

·
Banned
44 Posts
Its a truck get over it. If you bought it to be pretty then go back and get a pilot. I dont understand why people are crying about scratches in a truck bed, if you dont want to scratch it then dont use it.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts