Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Ridgeline RTL with moonroof. I am not ank kind of bargaing expert. I paid MSRP $33190 . I traded in a 2001 GMC Yukon. I got $17000 trade in, not to bad I didn't think. If I would have bought the ridgeline out right, it would have cost me $30790.

So, to make a long story short, I got a very nice trade in, but I paid MSRP. Just wondering about everbody else. Willy212

·
Registered
159 Posts
willy212 said:
I just got my Ridgeline RTL with moonroof. I am not ank kind of bargaing expert. I paid MSRP $33190 . I traded in a 2001 GMC Yukon. I got $17000 trade in, not to bad I didn't think. If I would have bought the ridgeline out right, it would have cost me $30790.

So, to make a long story short, I got a very nice trade in, but I paid MSRP. Just wondering about everbody else. Willy212
Well, I hate to say it, but you probably could have saved several thousand. Carsdirect.com has the RTL w/ moonroof listed at $29,616. If you'd have gone through Costcoauto.com or a local credit union's car-buying service, that's the price you'd have paid, give or take a couple hundred (plus TTL, of course.)

As for the value of your trade-in, check Edmunds.com and Kbb.com for the range. It all depends on the condition, mileage, etc.

Regardless, if you're happy, that's all that counts, right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you are happy with your Ridgeline ... then enjoy it and smile :) it's yours and it is fun to drive. So far, this has been the only vehicle that I enjoy driving everyday and actually look forward to it too, and that is after nine months! ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
When you trade in a vehicle, they usually give you a price off of MSRP. That is why they ask that upfront. You should say no trade-in, I have my own financing at the beginning. Negotiate a price, then discuss financing from that price.
I am in the process of buying a Ridgeline now. I am getting quotes from the internet from dealers in the area.
My local dealer has said he will match any price. We will see.
Once I get a price, I will then look into financing. I am going to lease it. So far I have one quote for RTL-S/R for $28,412. I asked for quotes with NAVI, so I had to email back to see if that price includes NAVI (I doubt it)..
Its a long process, but I have to the end of January before my present vehicle's lease is up.

L

·
0 Posts
Nicholas said:
If you are happy with your Ridgeline ... then enjoy it and smile :) it's yours and it is fun to drive. So far, this has been the only vehicle that I enjoy driving everyday and actually look forward to it too, and that is after nine months! ;)
DITTO!!! :)
If it makes you feel better....I worked for a Honda dealership when I bought my RidgeLine back in March and I paid sticker!!:eek:

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
You didn't get taken if you are happy!! Don't think about the price again, if you can help it, cuz there's nothing you can do about it now...short of torching it! (hahaha) Besides, looks like you got a good trade-in value, so take it and run.

I paid MSRP in March and am happy to have been an owner for the better part of a year!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Its all Accounting. The trade in was probably a bit higher because it benefitted the dealer to show an MSRP sale to Honda Corporate. Tradeins and Car dealerships in general are sleazy businesses and most dealers move money around to benefit their bottom line and not yours. The net amount you had to pay out of pocket over the life of your ownership is all that should matter to you, what the dealer does with the pieces of your transaction only make sense to them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I agree if your happy driving it then you got a good deal. With all the goodies we got we paid $40,000,and we enjoy showing it off to anyone who wants to see a great SUT. I drive it to work every day and love the looks I still get. It is by far the best auotmobile I've ever owned. There seem's to be alot of people griping about little stuff, like the size of cupholders,gas mileage,locking tail gate ect.. Granted there are a things that Honda should have put on stock,and I too hope the gas mileage will improve. But I love this car my wife loves it and the dogs love it. What more could a man ask.

·
Registered
626 Posts
BillB said:
Its all Accounting. The trade in was probably a bit higher because it benefitted the dealer to show an MSRP sale to Honda Corporate.
Ditto what Bill said -- it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, in terms of the deal you got. $17K sounds high for the Yukon, so think of it more as $15K, with $2K off MSRP for the RL. It's not a bad deal. Some people have done better, many have done a lot worse... you can't kick yourself for it... a life lived with regret is a life half-lived!

·
Registered
70 Posts
As others have said, I don't think you got robbed but you might have saved by shopping around a bit more. I paid $28,030 for the same vehicle in November. Now I am saddled with the task of selling my old truck because I didn't do a trade in. It is a hassle and makes me think I should have considered the trade in at purchase. Best of luck with your new chariot.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
paguard said:
Now I am saddled with the task of selling my old truck because I didn't do a trade in.
Have you tried ebaymotors.com yet? My Brother-in-law has sold 2 vehicles there and had great experiences both times.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mayfielh, thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying local advertisements first, because I'd rather avoid having to get involved in a shipping process. I am headed to ebay if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
paguard said:
mayfielh, thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying local advertisements first, because I'd rather avoid having to get involved in a shipping process. I am headed to ebay if all else fails.
You can list it as local sale only if you want. But there are several auto movers that just come right to your door and pick up the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
No, I don't think you got taken, but I think you could have done better. With that being said, you got a good trade-in so, like Billb said above, it all comes out at the end.

Just word of advice.....next time, tell them there is not trade-in and then, when they come to a number, say something like, "Well....just for the heck of it, why don't you give me a trade-in value on my (enter current vehicle here). If I can get a good price from you guys, I might just trade it in, instead of selling it outright", and don't let them budge on the original price they gave you. That way you should get a good price on the vehicle you are buying....even though they might low-ball you on the trade-in value.

No matter which way you look at it....it all comes out in the wash.....and, if you're happy with your new vehicle..... who cares?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have to agree with everyone here. If you're happy and the financials worked out for you, don't worry about it. I've seen some of the prices on here for the RTL-SR and thought "darn, I could've saved another grand!" But hey, I got it for $30,500 but took it as a lease since AHM was running an excellent special. Eventually I'll probably convert it to a regular loan since I drive a lot, but in reality, I've got a 1.7% interest rate when you figure out the lease money factor - or something like that. Anyway, I figure I can keep beating myself up for not taking a couple more weeks to look around, or not pushing harder for a lower price, etc. or just enjoy the Ridge that I've got.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi willy212, If your happy driving down the road knowing you got the truck you wanted and don't have to worry about stuff falling off it then I say you did great! I just keep thinking of my sister-in-law that bought a new Tahoe because she got the Chevy Discount and what that truck will be worth come trade-in time. I think she got taken...... Enjoy the smooth ride and welcome to the club.:p

·
Registered
105 Posts
willy212 said:

Up until a few years ago I was in the car biz mostly as a service director/manager. Unless you need a larger trade in value for purposes of qualifying for financing, it is always best to get the best price on the new vehicle and trade your old one in for ACV (actual cash value). In this way you pay a bit less sales tax. Judging from current values, the Yukons while in reasonable demand are 'soft' on the market and do not bring listed Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds posted figures. These are merely guides, not the value of the vehicle. I believe you did ok. Time now to forget the deal and enjoy the truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts