Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did not mean to, but I went off roading...

One day after I got my truck, and while it was all still polished up by the dealer, I decided to take some yard waste to the dump.

Our local dump has a paved road most of the way, but then it turns into a dirt road. I didn't think much about this until I got to the dirt road part. It had been raining for several days straight and the dirt road was now a huge mud puddle.

I figured this was a good chance to see how the Ridge did in the mud. So I'm going along just fine, but I have to stop every now and then to let a car coming from the other direction pass through the best part of the road. Again, no problem. I can hear scraping on the bottom of the truck, so I know I'm sinking down pretty good.

I get to the dump, drop off my yard waste and head back out the same way. The routine is the same, stop for other cars, and hear the mud scraping the bottom of the truck. I'm thinking this is pretty cool, going "mudding" and all. Sure is great to have a truck for this...then a darn mini van goes by. Oh heck, that just kind of blew it for me. :rolleyes:

I'm sure if the mini van had stopped he would have had a lot of trouble, but still...

Anyway, after all the fun, my clean truck was not looking so sharp anymore. So off to the car wash, and when I made it home I had to spray the userside of the truck quite a bit to get all the dirt off.

My Ridge looks all New and shinny again, but that darn mini van sure took some pleasure out of the whole experience.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I understand that the off road jeep guys in the sixties and seventies would always get bugged when they went out in the boonies as far as they could get, and somebody would be out there in a VW bus or bug.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
My band had a VW Microbus when I-75 was being built thru town. Near the practice house was an overpass where the buggies and cycles gathered to hillclimb. That bus could walk up a pretty steep incline with little effort. :eek: Really ticked off a few hard-core offroaders. :p

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think as is usually the case, vehicles can more than we are comfortable with. The mini-van (if it was only two wheel drive) was doing more than most would expect and our Ridgelines can do more than we expect. I have some experience driving off road and through really deep snow with rear wheel drive vehicles and I can tell you that momentum and other's wheel paths can make a huge difference. Notice I didn't say wheel path ruts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
964 Posts
nevadagarth said:
I think as is usually the case, vehicles can more than we are comfortable with. The mini-van (if it was only two wheel drive) was doing more than most would expect and our Ridgelines can do more than we expect. I have some experience driving off road and through really deep snow with rear wheel drive vehicles and I can tell you that momentum and other's wheel paths can make a huge difference. Notice I didn't say wheel path ruts. :rolleyes:

My Dad's 72 Ford LTD would go well in the snow, if you had momentum. If you didn't, forget the hills!

Like you said, cars will do more than we think, especially if the driver can do :)

Haven't really taken my RL offroad yet... but our driveway in the winter will be an experience.. gravel and hilly and curvy. Should be fun!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just got back from a vacation in the Eastern Sierras, where I did some unplanned off-roading. I had a great time, saw an old VW van in one place I didn't expect. Found out later that I did a small Class III climb along the way (past the VW spot). I had no trouble as I kept reminding myself about the 8" clearance - have some treebranch scratches as a result that I am pretty sure will rub out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts