Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2019 Ridgeline with mudflaps but they don't work. Road dirt is thrown back on the truck and the flat black running boards collect the dirt.

Right now considering cutting aftermarket mudflaps to the shape of the factory ones but making them 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer than the factory ones. This will avoid screwing into the truck.

Anyone done this? Any recommendations on decent stiff mud flaps. One post recommended Armor something mud flaps but they are too flexible for me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My plan is to extend the Honda hard plastic mud flaps with rubber/flexible universal mud flaps found at most auto parts stores. They’re cheap. Looks like 2-3 screws would attach them firmly to the existing mud flaps. I’m thinking a minimum 5” extension down. The longer, the better. Rubber universal mud flaps have plenty of flex to negotiate the downside of parking lot speed bumps.

Food for thought......who invented the speed bump - an idiot or a genius?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out the WeatherTech mudflaps, Good size and I am very happy with them..
Thanks LeeH,

I became aware of the quality of Weathertech when my wife bought her CRV. Consequently, I bought their all-weather floor protectors instead of the more expensive factory ones. I wish I had looked into their mud flaps before I bought the factory ones. Having already spent $80 for the factory ones I think I will opt for extending the factory ones with some flexible rubber-like material I have in my shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plan is to extend the Honda hard plastic mud flaps with rubber/flexible universal mud flaps found at most auto parts stores. They’re cheap. Looks like 2-3 screws would attach them firmly to the existing mud flaps. I’m thinking a minimum 5” extension down. The longer, the better. Rubber universal mud flaps have plenty of flex to negotiate the downside of parking lot speed bumps.

Food for thought......who invented the speed bump - an idiot or a genius?
Thanks, HRL384,

Your comment matches my observations. After taking a second look at the road dirt pattern on the truck I realized longer mudflaps, not wider, is what is needed. I think I will opt for extending the factory ones with some flexible rubber-like material I have in my shop. Hadn't thought of adding 5" but, if too long, much easier to cut off an inch than making a new extension.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the factory tires and flaps on my 2019 RTL and I was actually surprised how well they worked the first time I started flinging mud out of the tires. I just new I would get home and have mud stuck all over the the side of the truck. To my surprise, it had almost completely been contained on the the flaps and in the wheel wells.

Of course I wasn't off roading and I don't have running boards, so my experience may not be indicative of what would happen if I was really off roading, which I wouldn't do in any normal circumstance with my stock truck, but I was happy with how well everything worked for driving through mud from heavy rains that we've had in recent times.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is why I'm saying the mud flaps need to be extended about 5" below the Honda flaps in order to do much good. 1st pic....the tape is a good 5" below the Honda mud flap when the angle from the base of the tire is to the back edge of the front door. 2nd pic....angle is way forward, much less coverage, with the Honda mud flap. Kinda hard to tell about the Weather Tech mud flap, but it appears to be not much longer than the Honda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks HRL,

Showing the angle was helpful. Looks like extending the flaps 5” will work.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kinda hard for me with my old sore back to hold the tape and camera at the same time, so measure twice, cut once. LOL

Like you said earlier, much easier to shorten than lengthen.(y) What kind of flexible rubber-like material do you have?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Any red-blooded male likes a chrome stripper......Yo Sam should be restricted to Saturday morning cartoons.?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Extending the mud flaps too far will result in them scraping constantly when going over speed bumps and humps. That is what happened with my 2010 Toyota Tacoma. I like the Weather Tec flaps. Just about the right combination of length and width and no drilling.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, the hard stiff plastic mud flaps will give an audible scrape negotiating a speed bump. If they don't, they're too short to do much good.

If you install flexible rubber mud flaps you'll never hear them, when going over a speed bump. If the mud flaps don't contact a speed bump, they're most likely too short to do much good........as a mud flap/splash guard.

How often does one go over a speed bump?........maybe occasionally?

·
Registered
751 Posts
How much longer (than stock) are the WT mud flaps?

The chrome stripper flaps (above) look long enough to actually do some good. If you take a straight edge from the base of the tire, to the flap, to the trailer, the straight edge would meet the trailer several feet back from the stripper.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
5 Posts
How much longer (than stock) is "much longer"?
I honestly do not remember the dimensions of the originals, but examine the pictures on the webpage I posted and hopefully that will give you a good visual of the WT flaps.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks. I've been to the WT website and did not see actual size number comparison (stock vs WT). The pictures seem to indicate the WT flaps might be an inch longer.?‍♂ Hard to tell from pictures on a website. My plan is to use flexible rubber or some kind of flexible material and make the flaps plenty long. They won't be as easy to install as the WT flaps but, easy install doesn't necessarily mean max benefit.

Wonder how TommyW is coming along with his mud flap install? TommyW, where did you go?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just measured. The WeatherTech's are roughly 1 1/2" longer. Not much but it does make a big difference in their effectiveness.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts