• I did not , did not think I needed it

Votes: 18 23.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not bought my Ridgeline yet, Ill get a certified preowned with original warranty still left on it. I, just thought I will get an extended warranty and wondering how many of you did or did not?

·
Registered
411 Posts
You need another choice on your survey that says “Not yet, but if I plan to keep the truck past the warranty period, I will get one before the warranty runs out”. This is where I’m at. If I decide to keep the truck longer than 3 years, I will be buying an extended warranty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think there should a poll for “Have you had an issue with your Ridgeline that would have or did benefit from having extended warranty?” To me these results would influence my decision much more than those who did or did not buy the extended warranty do to foresight or wasteful spending. I always recommend people not buy extended warranties as statistics show more than half of those purchased are never used. It would however be interesting to see the results of those who have needed or used an extended warranty for repairs.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Or those like myself that bought a used truck and got an extended warranty.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
if you get a certified pre-owned with original warranty left on it, why would you buy the extended warranty?
Because the Non-Powertrain portion of the Honda True Certified or Certified+ warranty coverage is not as comprehensive as the OEM HondaCare extended warranty. The Honda True Certified+ warranty seems pretty good though with coverage up to 5 yr/86K miles.
Warranty.PNG

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just picked up my Ridgeline a few days ago. I opted not to buy the HondaCare yet... But the dealership included a Lifetime powertrain warranty. Only time will tell if it is worth anything.... Hopefully ill never need it. But the way i keep vehicles, eventually I might. :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes I will prior to the cutoff for purchasing a HondaCare new vehicle plan (voted I "did").
  • I have a reasonable expectation (history) of keeping the RL long after the original warranty
  • The cost of a HondaCare extended warranty (from Saccucci or Hyannis) has no impact on my lifestyle / discretionary budget
  • The 'peace of mind' for me is worth it, even as I sincerely hope that I'll never make a claim and will be quite content with that outcome
Noting that all is predicated on a genuine HondaCare extended warranty - for me the equation is not applicable to any dealer or other 3rd-party warranty.

YMMV

·
Registered
238 Posts
IF, and I do mean if you purchase a warranty, shop around for your Genuine Honda extended warranty from from a source other than your dealer.

They can be had much cheaper online.
Do your homework & and save yourself some money.

Use the search function right here on ROC if you don’t already know how to do this.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think there should a poll for “Have you had an issue with your Ridgeline that would have or did benefit from having extended warranty?” To me these results would influence my decision much more than those who did or did not buy the extended warranty do to foresight or wasteful spending. I always recommend people not buy extended warranties as statistics show more than half of those purchased are never used. It would however be interesting to see the results of those who have needed or used an extended warranty for repairs.
All valid as a personal criteria.

However, IMO the extended warranty decision is more complex than that and among other things the above ignores the value that some consumers assign to, for lack of a better term, "peace of mind". Statistics are great for group analysis but provide no solace if you are among those who fall on the 'wrong side' of the statistical curve.

IMO it's a disservice to recommend 'yea' or 'nay' on a broad-brushed basis. The 'value' of an extended warranty for any given individual depends on that individual's circumstances and attitudes. For example (but certainly not limited to) ...
  • Do you have a demonstrated history of keeping a car equal to the full term of the warranty being considered?
  • Will the expense of the warranty require a change in your lifestyle, present or future? Are you tolerant of that change if it will?
  • Are you tolerant of the risk of a big-ticket repair at an unforeseen future time? "Tolerance" being a measure of financial and psychological impact.
  • Are you prone to worry when you read / hear of other folk's problems with a vehicle like yours? Will having an extended warranty promote a more relaxed, less worrisome, reaction by you when that occurs?
  • Will you likely feel buyer's remorse if you never claim on the warranty or do not make claims larger than the cost?
Some of those factors don't fit neatly within an actuarial model, but that in no way means those factors are without 'value' or are in any way frivolous, stupid, meaningless, or wasteful.

Further, the personal measure of value may well and legitimately change over our lives. I quickly discounted the value of such to me until I reached an age and circumstance where: 1) I was less-inclined to undertake major DIY repairs of necessity; and, 2) the cost of the warranty had no impact on my discretionary spending.

In my mind, when folks, ask about extended warranties, the best 'advice' is not to offer a 'one size fits all' recommendation, nor to point to what other folks do or don't do; the best 'advice' is to educate those consumers about the pros & cons and the factors that enter into establishing their own measure of value, both economic and emotional / psychological, with the un-biased recognition that all of those factors are valid and legitimate measures of ultimate 'value'.

Life isn't always only about the money. Risk tolerance, risk stress, and the value of stress reduction, can't always be reduced to a financial equation. Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it can be spent (or not spent) in a way that contributes to a more relaxed and enjoyable day-to-day life. And that, I'd suggest, is priceless.

One olde phart's long-winded opinion. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Like I have said previously, we have assured that our Ridgeline will be the perfect model of dependability by purchasing the extended insurance, for as long as the insurance is in effect, nothing will go wrong.

But, on the off-hand that it does?

Bill

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you were to extend the warranty further than the OE warranty of three years, I would certainly get it through Honda.

But I do believe that extending the factory warranty gets more expensive the longer you keep the vehicle during the OE warranty period. Its cheaper to buy the extended warranty past the OE warranty in the first year of ownership of a new purchase vehicle, and with buying a seven yr warranty will only cover you for an additional 4 yrs after OE warranty expires ( as you've already paid for the first three years when you purchased the vehicle).

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did not buy an extended warranty. I have a 17 Black Edition with about 102,000 miles. I'm the original owner. As long as you do the regular maintenance items, you probably won't have a need for an extended warranty. So far, the only problems I have had, both minor issues, costs me about $425. One was due to using a cheap USB charger which caused an electrical issue, the other was a transmission pressure switch that was doused with rain. An extended warranty for the standard 36 months would have been way more than $425. I also had an 07 RTL and a 12 RTL. I didn't have extended warranties for those either and did not have one single issue, just the regular wear and tear items. Both the 07 and the 12 had one recall each which of course was covered by the Honda Corporation.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't buy extended warranties. The insurance/warranty companies are better at estimating the costs than you are, and they charge you that cost, plus a nice profit margin, plus the sales charge. Odds are you'll come out ahead by not buying the warranty. If you can't afford to pay for repairs should they be needed, maybe you need to consider the warranty, but generally it is an amount of money small enough that most people should "self-insure" by taking the risk themselves.

What if you just set aside the money you would have paid for the warranty and earn some interest on it. Chances are you will have enough to pay for at least 1, or maybe even 2 or 3 major repairs should they be needed.

I've been driving and buying cars for 45 years and I've never had repair costs anywhere near high enough to have justified an extended warranty. Even if I had got a lemon, the cost of the extended warranties on every car would have far exceeded the benefit from using it on the one lemon.

Also, using the extended warranty is not free--you generally have to pay something, maybe around $100 or more, and you have to spend your valuable time and effort trying to take advantage of the warranty.

If you really are leaning toward getting one, wait until near the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty and you'll probably be receiving offers in the mail, or you can research it then, and get one cheaper than if you buy it from the dealer at the time of sale.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've never bought one, but you aren't just paying for repair coverage (no warranties would be offered if it didn't pay off more often than not for the issuer), you are paying for peace of mind, only you can determine what that is worth to you.

My dad bought a Honda extended warranty back in 2005, and you could get it refunded if you never used it, is anything like that still offered?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Totally agree! I'm putting this together for cargo/towing and roadside emergency prep.

Though let's be real a bug out bag with a side folder Galil Ace etc would be pretty awesome.... but totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My dad bought a Honda extended warranty back in 2005, and you could get it refunded if you never used it, is anything like that still offered?
For HondaCare new vehicle contracts as of this date:
  • Cancellation within 60 days of purchase gets full refund if no claims.
  • If within 60 days having made a claim, or after 60 days, regardless of claims paid, you can pay a $25 cancellation processing fee and get a refund based on the pro-rated miles or time, whichever yields the lesser amount of refund.
  • No, the cancellation refund is not reduced for claims paid.
  • Transferred contracts (e.g. contract transferred to a second owner) are not eligible for cancellation refunds.
  • There are a few state-specific variations of the cancellation policy.
Also, using the extended warranty is not free--you generally have to pay something, maybe around $100 or more, and you have to spend your valuable time and effort trying to take advantage of the warranty.
HondaCare offers $0 deductible or $100 deductible contracts (buyer's choice). Insofar as making claims, with HondaCare that's completely handled by the servicing Honda dealer, to the Owner it's for all intents the same as getting service under the original warranty - one of the significant advantages of HondaCare vs non-Honda 3rd-party extended warranties.

… just trying to provide facts for decision making ….. still not saying HondaCare is / is not for everyone / anyone in particular ;)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts