• I did not , did not think I needed it

Votes: 18 23.7%

• Total voters
101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,857 Posts
Just to clarify...
If Person A buys an 8yr/120K mile warranty when the vehicle is brand new.
Person B could buy a ~5yr/100K mile warranty for $100-$150 more, right before they turn over 36K miles.

Is that correct?
I think you've got it.

Let's say I bought a 2017 Ridgeline 2 years and 11 months ago and it has 35,000 miles on it today. I could have bought the 8/120 "new" plan at the time of purchase for about $1,300 or I could buy the 5/120 "near new" plan today for about $1,400. Either way, I still end up with about 8 years of coverage from the day I bought it or until the odometer hits 120K. By waiting, I would pay a little more for the same coverage and would have lost some of the "side benefits" during those 2 years 11 months such as a rental reimbursement or meals/lodging if I broke down while away from home.

If you're not worried about the side benefits, it might be wise to wait until the last minute to consider Honda Care. If a vehicle proves reliable over the first three years, you might consider skipping Honda Care. If a vehicle hints at future reliability issues (fuel injectors, transmissions, etc.), you might consider opting for Honda Care at the last minute. If you wait, there's always a risk that Honda Care could increase in price significantly, but it hasn't done this historically.

·
Registered
916 Posts
@TommyDeVito, take note of ^that^ as relates to your interest for 8yrs (from in-service date) of coverage for less than 100k odo miles....

Back when I was shopping I filled out a 'dummy' vehicle on the Saccucci info page for a 34-months in-service 2017 RL with 34000 miles even though mine was a 2-months in-service '19 with ~2k miles. That yielded an email from Saccucci with all of the then-current "Near New Vehicle" plans and costs (plans Fxx and Gxx).

Note that Fxx and Gxx plan Time starts not on the in-service date but on the plan purchase date. Miles are still total odo miles of course. Looking back at that "Near New Vehicle" info I got, I see, for example, Plan F/G58 covers 5 years from date of plan purchase or 80k miles (20k miles less than the "New Vehicle" option, with attendant lower cost due to lower miles and time).

Just saying there might be a strategy in the 'deferred purchase' / "Near New Vehicle" plans that comes closer to your wants. As mentioned by @zroger73, the exact plan costs (and maybe even terms) might change.

When I spoke with Saccucci about differences in coverage between "New" and "Near New" plans and implications of delayed purchase they said there was none, but I have not seen a "Near New" Contract in full myself to verify that.

Anyhoo, just for your consideration and perhaps further evaluation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So religiously go to the dealership for all service/repairs, where they will happily fleece you for thousands of dollars, by charging exorbitant rates and performing unnecessary services.

Then in exchange for being one of their "good" customers (i.e. huge profit makers), they may give you a few hundred dollar discount on an overpriced major repair!
So religiously go to the dealership for all service/repairs, where they will happily fleece you for thousands of dollars, by charging exorbitant rates and performing unnecessary services.

Then in exchange for being one of their "good" customers (i.e. huge profit makers), they may give you a few hundred dollar discount on an overpriced major repair!
You forgot to quote this part..."NOT SOMETHING TO RELY ON, but for those who are unaware...."

So, in October 2001 we purchased a new Odyssey. Using coupons from the selling dealership, we would bring it back for regular maintenance (oil/trans services, etc.) and we would always schedule maintenance with the same Service Advisor. Find a good advisor and make friends. In Jan 2003, we already had approx. 115k miles on van. The transmission was making a weird noise so we brought it in for diagnosis. No factory warranty remaining, no HondaCare. The call we got from the Service Advisor was to tell us that the transmission was failing, but that between Honda and the dealership, it would be replaced at no charge to us. Not only did they replace the transmission, but while they were at it, they fixed some issue with the EGR system (some issue that was supposedly common and Honda covered it as well), and they covered a rental while the vehicle was in the shop. We didn't ask, they just did it. A few years prior, when I was a service advisor (not for Honda), we would do the same thing for regular customers. It;'s not uncommon to take care of your regulars.

You bring up a good point about the higher costs for having maintenance performed at a dealership, but In this overpriced hell-hole that we call the Bay Area, REPUTABLE independent auto repair shops are not much cheaper than our local stealerships. Take advantage of coupons and price matching.

Also good info. for those reading this...it's the parts and service departments that keep a dealership afloat. Auto sales are VERY competitive and sometimes a dealer has to sell a "new" vehicle below their cost to make a sale (used cars are a different story). However, dealers will get kick-backs and other incentives from the manufacturer for moving units each month, and also from the financial institutions for brokering customer's loans through their banks. This is why your local dealership pushes up-sells such as Extended Service Contracts, Maintenance programs, scratch/dent coverage, paint/leather protection, etc., etc. There's good profit in those packages. But when car sales are slow, it's parts & service that keep the dealer going.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts