Votes: 36 32.7%
  • I did not , did not think I needed it

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
You kinda hit on the bottom line with regards to these extended warranties. "Profit" These programs are not about savings for the buyer but profit for the seller. They wouldn't exist if they weren't profitable. So really who wins the end? It's rarely the consumer.
I completely agree they have to be profitable, but it is possible for both parties to win even if you buy one.

If you buy Honda Care online for say $1k and you have the fuel injector issue out of 3/36. Honda Care covers it. It has been covered in other threads, folks being quoted ~$1200-1500 or so for this repair. You are happy because you just saved money with HC. The cost for Honda to do that work is probably something like $250 for parts and $100 to a tech. These are all guesstimate numbers, but I think you get the idea. If that is the only claim made, the buyer is happy HC covered $12-1500 in work for $1k, but the dealer cost on that work is much less than $1k.

Then of course, there are always the ones that the person never uses the purchased HC and that becomes pure profit for the dealer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There's no room to discount Honda Care purchased online - it's already being sold at or near dealer cost and the dealers rely on volume bonuses instead.

I've never known of Honda or dealers to push Honda care - particularly just before the factory warranty expires. They'd much rather sell a higher-profit third-party warranty at the time of sale.
I wasn't referring specifically to Honda Care warranties, just to extended warranties in general. I don't know how many companies provide these warranties but I get multiple offers when my vehicles are approaching the end of their warranties. I've never compared Honda Care to any other because that is an additional problem with extended warranties--the extra time and effort involved in reading the information and choosing a plan, which is another reason for me not to get one.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
475 Posts
Extended warranty’s are a gamble just like every other kind of insurance we buy... I’ve only bought one since I started driving and it more than paid for itself..and it was a Honda Civic.
All the Hondas I’ve had since then, have been flawless. But just like the stock market, past performance does not guarantee future success. With changes made for fuel economy and the EPA. Direct injection and all the other changes. These are not the same Hondas that we’ve been driving for years. So it’s whether you want to gamble or not. If you’re one of those people that don’t keep a car pass the 3year/36,000 mile warranty. It’s a no brainer. Don’t buy it. But if you keep a vehicle for a long time maybe it’s not quite the gamble it seems. Machines are made by humans...and they break.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought about waiting to buy closer to 36k miles. But wanted to lock in what I thought was a fair price. Plans and prices change over time. And I only wanted Honda Care. Not a 3rd party plan. Buying now gave me the option of a 8yr/120k mile plan w a $0 deductible.

From Honda care.

The best time to buy Honda Care is when your vehicle is still new and has less than 6,000 miles. This is when the longest terms are available and the best pricing is available to you.

You can purchase Honda Care as long as your Honda is a 2017 or newer and has less than 36,000 miles, but as you vehicle ages and you drive more miles, the plans available to you change and there are changes to the Honda Care pricing.”

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E - Scarlet
21 Posts
I purchased a Honda Extended warranty (6 years 108k) was surprised when the first time I asked them to look at something I felt would be covered, they were going to charge me $135 just to look.
Will never purchase another one.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
I purchased a Honda Extended warranty (6 years 108k) was surprised when the first time I asked them to look at something I felt would be covered, they were going to charge me $135 just to look.
Will never purchase another one.
What was the item / issue you felt would be covered? Did you actually read your contract to see if it was a covered Mechanical Breakdown or on the list of What Is Not Covered in the contract? Did the dealer warn you that, in spite of what you "felt", they suspected the issue would not be covered under your VSC, and explain why?

A dealer may charge an up-front diagnostic fee, but if you have a HondaCare VSC and the problem is indeed covered, the diagnostic fee will be refunded. See article III.B. in the contract.

Few dealers actually ask for diagnostic fee payment up-front unless their preliminary judgment is that the issue will not be covered, they typically simply disclose the amount on the Work Order when you authorize the work in case the problem is not covered by the HondaCare VSC, then waive it per the contract if it is a covered breakdown.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would guess that they are just covering themselves. If you ask them to look at something, and it turned out to not be covered by the extended warranty you could just walk away. And they would be out the shop time/labor....Easier to collect that upfront then after the fact

·
Registered
76 Posts
In 2005 we handed our 99 Accord to our son and in 2012 we gave him our 2005 Accord Hybrid. His son now drives the 99 Accord. Both cars still running fine.
Ditto the Camry I gave to my son. 250,000 miles. He has changed the oils religiously, had brakes done, and replaced both tail light assemblies (ex girlfriend with baseball bat).

·
Registered
529 Posts
I did not purchase it on my new '19 I just purchased. What I did buy was a program called "Cardoc". This pays for 3 years of maintenance. The only thing it wont pay for is brake pads and trans flush. Just the oil change itself over the period makes it worth it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I did not purchase it on my new '19 I just purchased. What I did buy was a program called "Cardoc". This pays for 3 years of maintenance. The only thing it wont pay for is brake pads and trans flush. Just the oil change itself over the period makes it worth it.
What sort of cost are you looking at for the CarDoc program ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am retired, and this will be the last new car that I buy. The Honda dealer that I bought my 2019 Ridgeline Sport from, provides a lifetime warranty on the drive train. I also purchased the 10 year 150,000
bumper to bumper warranty, for everything other than the drive train.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
What I did buy was a program called "Cardoc". This pays for 3 years of maintenance. The only thing it wont pay for is brake pads and trans flush. Just the oil change itself over the period makes it worth it.
I'd love to see a legible pic of all the written terms and conditions of that Maintenance Contract.
Are intervals per Maintenance Minder or ...?
Are fluids and filters Honda Genuine or ...?
Is maintenance by any Honda Dealer or ...?

Just curious - how many miles do you expect to drive over the life of that Car Doc Contract?

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
The only reason I asked John is that usually for the first three years of maintenance its not too heavy in costs unless you do a bunch of miles
I agree but the cost is way less then doing the stuff over the 5 year period! It starts paying for itself around 40K.

·
Administrator
14,976 Posts
About the period length, 75K over 5 years. I don't know if other dealership groups offer what Victory Honda group offers. This is the link: Maintenance and membership program provides quality car care in Cookeville TN
My closest Honda dealership is owned by VAG and they add Car Doc and accessories to every new vehicle on their lot which adds another $3,500 to the MSRP.

The most valuable item in the $1,095 5-year Car Doc maintenance is 15 oil changes (one every 5,000 miles).

5,000-mile oil change intervals are wasteful considering the average driver will only be prompted for an oil change every 8,000 miles. Even worse, other maintenance will likely get neglected when continually resetting the Maintenance Minder before the oil life reaches 15%. See this post.

Car Doc also includes an "oil treatment" (MOA oil supplement "additive" by BG). Honda specifically warns against the use of oil additives in the Owner's Manual.

"Engine Oil Additives
Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact, they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability."

A while back, I picked apart every "benefit" in Car Doc and confirmed that it is a racket. Paying only for necessary maintenance as you go will be better for your vehicle, the environment, and your wallet.

EDIT: Here's my analysis of Car Doc.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree but the cost is way less then doing the stuff over the 5 year period! It starts paying for itself around 40K.
You mentioned three years in an earlier post, but if its five then maybe worth it . At least your all set for costs going forward except for your noted items not covered under the warranty

·
Registered
529 Posts
You mentioned three years in an earlier post, but if its five then maybe worth it . At least your all set for costs going forward except for your noted items not covered under the warranty
Yeah, I meant 5 years

·
Registered
529 Posts
My closest Honda dealership is owned by VAG and they add Car Doc and accessories to every new vehicle on their lot which adds another $3,500 to the MSRP.

The most valuable item in the $1,095 5-year Car Doc maintenance is 15 oil changes (one every 5,000 miles).

5,000-mile oil change intervals are wasteful considering the average driver will only be prompted for an oil change every 8,000 miles. Even worse, other maintenance will likely get neglected when continually resetting the Maintenance Minder before the oil life reaches 15%. See this post.

Car Doc also includes an "oil treatment" (MOA oil supplement "additive" by BG). Honda specifically warns against the use of oil additives in the Owner's Manual.

"Engine Oil Additives
Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact, they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability."

A while back, I picked apart every "benefit" in Car Doc and confirmed that it is a racket. Paying only for necessary maintenance as you go will be better for your vehicle, the environment, and your wallet.

EDIT: Here's my analysis of Car Doc.

$3500 is crazy!!!!

121 - 140 of 149 Posts