• No I did not

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • I did not , did not think I needed it

Votes: 22 19.8%
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not that I disagree with your point sometimes, but I want to point out another side. I don't think it is fair to categorically say it never makes sense to get an extended warranty.

I had my previous truck for 10 years and I never had an extended warranty. With that one, the biggest concern was coolant/tranny fluid cross contamination. That was "easily" fixable with a new $100 radiator and a few hours. So it never made sense to get an extended warranty.

Now, onto my RL. We know there is a TSB on the fuel injectors. It has yet to be seen how widespread that problem really is, but there are numerous cases here and the fact there is a TSB says it is a real problem. Real world costs from what I have seen on here range from $1300-2200. Right now, this is my biggest concern with the longevity of my truck. So I will wait until close to when the warranty is up and determine at that point if it makes sense to get an extended warranty. At that point, there will be more empirical data to work from. Who knows, Honda may warranty the injectors longer, which would make the decision for me. Let's assume they don't and we see A LOT of people have the injector issue (and maybe another TSB or two come out that are widespread). Then my choice is spend $800-1000 on an extended warranty that will probably cover at least $1300. If we saw 65% of RL's to experience this issue, then the gamble would be not buying the warranty because you would need more money to cover that cost out of pocket.

As with anything in life, there are multiple factors that play into making it a good decision. If all of the folks in that study had competitively shopped those warranties and gotten them for 50% of what they paid, would the majority then be happy and say it was worth it?
Is that caused by the Ethanol in the gas, or is there another reason?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I never did before with any car I've ever owned.
When I bought my 2017 Ridgeline, I told the guy, why would I need it if you guys are telling me it's so reliable. Ha ha
If I had the warranty I'd probably still own it.
As it stands now, I own a 2020 Ridgeline, which to be honest I love more, and I'm happy I bought it, but with the cost of parts and labor these days, it doesn't take much to break even or come out ahead with it. And If I don't that's fine too, piece of mind is worth something too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is that caused by the Ethanol in the gas, or is there another reason?
Check out this thread, lots of information in it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did not purchase it on my new '19 I just purchased. What I did buy was a program called "Cardoc". This pays for 3 years of maintenance. The only thing it wont pay for is brake pads and trans flush. Just the oil change itself over the period makes it worth it.
John, can you post a link to info on "Cardoc" Thanks

I have not bought my Ridgeline yet, Ill get a certified preowned with original warranty still left on it. I, just thought I will get an extended warranty and wondering how many of you did or did not?
Another slant on this. Let's say down the road 6 years (90k miles)...you want to sell your vehicle & you bought the 8/120/0 originally. Someone is really going to be interested in this vehicle, because they still have 2 years/30k mile warranty. You will probably make up most of the price on the resale. Definitely easier to sell & purchase the new truck 6 years from now..haha.

This is not a primary reason to buy a warranty, but is factoring into my decision as I try to purchase a Ridgeline. On the flip side an extended warranty on a vehicle traded in would probably gain you nothing.

·
Administrator
16,352 Posts
Please see my post on Car Doc on the previous page of this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not bought my Ridgeline yet, Ill get a certified preowned with original warranty still left on it. I, just thought I will get an extended warranty and wondering how many of you did or did not?
If you look at all of the electronics and computers on the RidgeLine and then look at what the Honda extended warranty covers over the standard warranty, you will want to get the extended

·
Registered
534 Posts

Another slant on this. Let's say down the road 6 years (90k miles)...you want to sell your vehicle & you bought the 8/120/0 originally. Someone is really going to be interested in this vehicle, because they still have 2 years/30k mile warranty. You will probably make up most of the price on the resale. Definitely easier to sell & purchase the new truck 6 years from now..haha.

This is not a primary reason to buy a warranty, but is factoring into my decision as I try to purchase a Ridgeline. On the flip side an extended warranty on a vehicle traded in would probably gain you nothing.
Cardoc is for the Victory Automotive group. Here is the link Car Doc Contents | Victory Automotive Group

Reactions: islandtime

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you look at all of the electronics and computers on the RidgeLine and then look at what the Honda extended warranty covers over the standard warranty, you will want to get the extended
Are you a finance manager for a car dealership?

That is the EXACT sales pitch they give when trying to sell these high profit margin warranties anytime you buy a new car.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts