Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the installation directions for the die-cast running boards it instructs to remove the undercoating and apply touch up paint in its place.

Is this really necessary? Why?
If I don’t do this are there any negative effects, rust?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn’t have to be for the die-cast running boards.
Did anyone who installed any running boards follow these steps, or did you just bolt right onto the undercoat?

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
656 Posts
My dealer installed the die cast running boards and mud flaps before I took delivery. They did not scrape off undercoating or touch up the indicated areas. I don't think they even looked at the instructions for either install. The brackets for the running boards were on the wrong side and the mudflap fasteners were installed incorrectly. They were only interested in hanging the accessories on the truck and following instructions was not something that was below the dignity of the dealer guy.

If you want accessories installed according to the instructions, do it yourself. As to the undercoating, I see not reason it needs to be cleaned off. The area is certainly not going to rust because the metal is coated and you do not need metal to metal contact for grounding purposes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I installed the running boards on mine. I trimmed the plastic as recommended, but didn't see the need to clean off any undercoating. I suspect that the reason they put that in there is if the undercoating got into the threaded holes, you would have to get that out to put the bolts in. In either case, I was able to snug up the bolts just fine and have no issues with mine.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the running boards on mine. I trimmed the plastic as recommended, but didn't see the need to clean off any undercoating. I suspect that the reason they put that in there is if the undercoating got into the threaded holes, you would have to get that out to put the bolts in. In either case, I was able to snug up the bolts just fine and have no issues with mine.
You are correct Sir, I suspect the same as I had none of the undercoating (sound deadening stuff) in the area of where the brackets went.
Here’s the end result.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
You are correct Sir, I suspect the same as I had none of the undercoating (sound deadening stuff) in the area of where the brackets went.
Here’s the end result.
Wow, our trucks are very similar. BE with same running boards and roof rack. Only difference I see is tonneau, I have the Lomax.

Yours is looking good!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, our trucks are very similar. BE with same running boards and roof rack. Only difference I see is tonneau, I have the Lomax.

Yours is looking good!
Very cool. All I have left (for now) is to install the splash guards and door sill protectors (XPEL film).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Running boards came in today. I really like them not really what I was picturing. For those on the fence here’s what they look like.
I just purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. My dealer wants $1,500 Canadian for the diecast running boards. I see I can buy them online for about five hundred bucks USD ($600usd). How hard is it if I install them myself and buy them online?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doesn’t have to be for the die-cast running boards.
Did anyone who installed any running boards follow these steps, or did you just bolt right onto the undercoat?
I just purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. My dealer wants $1,500 Canadian for the diecast running boards. I see I can buy them online for about five hundred bucks USD ($600usd). How hard is it if I install them myself and buy them online?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Installation is very easy. I did mine without raising the truck. All of the threaded bolt holes are exactly where needed.

The instructions show to cut the lower body trim in six locations to accommodate mounting. My 2021 RTL-E had scribed locations for the trim which I did with a utility knife that has a razor blade for cutting.

Those running boards look very good and they are strong.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In the installation directions for the die-cast running boards it instructs to remove the undercoating and apply touch up paint in its place.

Is this really necessary? Why?
If I don’t do this are there any negative effects, rust?
There was no undercoating in the area of the threaded bolt holes on my 2021 RTL-E. It is likely they include that statement in the event you pay the dealer to apply undercoating, you must remove it in the area of the bolt holes before attaching the brackets. I have not under coated my vehicles since the mid eighties and refuse to let a dealer do it to my cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts