Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, I have and 09 Ridge. Started to have a bit of an issue about a month ago.

Turning left, once I started to straighten back out would a get a small, clunk, clunk, clunk, from the front end. Would do it rarely. Past two weeks it has been much more consistent. Thought maybe a CV?

Took it to a mechanic this morning, not a dealer only do that if I absolutely must. After about 2 hours he called me explaining that he is having trouble locating the source. Checked everything he could visually inspect and all looks good. Took it over to a Transmission only expert to see if he could help.

They asked if I had, had the diff serviced recently. I explained that I had back in July before a long road trip. They where wondering if the wrong fluid was put in(nope I checked my records). He went on to explain that maybe the clutches in the differential are sticking, which would make sense that the noise comes once you start to straighten out ie: the clutches are trying to release?

Any one have a similar or the same issue? The above make any sense? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Something is binding. My first thought is a CV. Anything else will be hard to diagnose without someone underneath the vehicle while it is happening. They have these things that you attach to(techs call them ears) to certain places to see if noise is louder or quiter. Usually mom and pop shops dont have these. They are expensive.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The transmission shop is correct that the rear different unit can sometimes clunk or make noise around corners when the fluid needs to be changed. Can you affirm that the fluid was changed with VTM-4?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission shop is correct that the rear different unit can sometimes clunk or make noise around corners when the fluid needs to be changed. Can you affirm that the fluid was changed with VTM-4?
Yep VTM-4 rear diff.

Sound I am 99% sure is coming from the front, so doesn't make sense to me that it would be the rear diff?

And read something that the front diff is within the transmission? So up front there is a transfer case and the transmission? Gonna change fluids in both and see if that fixes it?

I have never touched the VSA control button, till today. Turning it off gives the yellow ! triangle is this normal?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Relic,

this could be a few things, but I've read (and my own) a few other 09 with a driver's side CV joint worn out.

Click clunk on turns, usually only heard at slower speeds and on accel. The right way is to install an electronic chassis ear to pinpoint.

It could simply be sway bar links, or a transmission issue... but more details about when it occurs would help narrow it down.

btw, mine had a little bit of grease seeping from the boot. May be a visual indicator you are headed for the same repair (joint was $90, easy fix).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does not do it on accel. I know a CV it usually happens when accelerating and turning.

Does it at moderate speeds when coming out of a left turn. So when the vehicle is returning to straight clunk, click, clunk... not too loud and not every time.

CV's were checked nothing was found. Visual check revealed no other apparent problems.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So, first make sure your VTM-4 lock button is not on. (I'm sure this isn't the case, but check to be sure).

Next, unless it makes a regular cadence knock reliably when taking corners, I'd not think it's the CV joint (unless it's just starting to go bad). But 'could be?

I'd be checking the front shock tower 'bearings' (or whatever the correct term). They are part of the housing at top of the shock absorbers. When you turn, the shock actually turns a little bit in this mount/housing. If this bearing is bad, you'll get an irregular knock as the shock binds and breaks free during this rotation.

If not this, then yes, it could also be sway bar bushings or ??? suspension parts worn out.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Start the process of elimination.
Sounds like a ball joint to me. Jack it up and rock the tire to see if it has excessive play then go from there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Chassis ears are your best bet. Mine was a bugger to confirm also, but eventually got consistent enough to call. Changing fluid in trans or transfer case is pointless... If they are clunking, it's too late. Noise in front likely sway bar link or CV.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Wow - that's a new one on me (suspension mounting bolts required retorque). FYI, unless you've got a ton of miles on your RL, or it's seen a LOT of abusive off-roading (or even a lot of everyday harsh washboard roads), I wouldn't suspect your ball joints before checking out everything else.

And if you take it somewhere to get it fixed, make sure they don't try to sell you a whole set of new shocks if you only need the upper shock mounts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts