Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2022 Ridgeline has a lot of blind spots and if, like me, you don't have the blind spot monitoring, it's a little frustrating. Also, using the small rear view mirror to look through the small rear window is not that good. I decided to try the NexiGo D90 mirror dash cam and it solved all of my blind spot issues. It's close to $250 and there are lower priced models but I wanted to get the 4k version. It's only 4k for the front camera. The camera takes a little time to get used to viewing a camera as your review mirror but I've had it for about 2 weeks and can't imagine driving without it. I mounted my camera inside the cab but I guess it can be mounted outside. You will see from the pictures, I'm still working to clean up the wiring.

Product: NexiGo D90 4K Mirror Dash Cam

Pros: It is always recording and comes with 128gb memory card. Records front and back with or w/o audio. It has a wide angle view that makes using it as your full time review mirror a lot better than the stock analog mirror.

Pros: Viewing angle can pan up and down so you can see your cargo if you need to.

Cons: At dusk and dawn, I've noticed the camera adjusting the low light. Rear camera pictures seem to have a high contrast so the picture looks different but still very usable. I've only noticed it at those specific times so I've concluded it's the low light. At full night and day, it's perfect in my opinion.

Cons: To have a clean look, you'll have to find a way to run/hide your wires. It's really not that hard. 2 wires need to be connected, power and the rear (included) camera. The optional third cable is a GPS receiver for speed and direction. I didn't use it because I get the same information from my actual Garmin GPS. My Garmin w/Alexa is another of my "must haves".

Cons: The mirror is 11 inches wide so I need to angle the mirror toward the driver so that my visor can fully move down.

Anyway, just thought I would share for anyone with concerns about the blind spots and want a solution

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
190 Posts
I'm intrigued. What RL trim do you have? I'm curious to see where exactly you mounted the rear-facing camera in the cab. The only complication I can think of when installing in a RTL-E interior is the sliding rear window. It seems like you would have to mount it off-center on the non-sliding side of the window. Your install location seems great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm intrigued. What RL trim do you have? I'm curious to see where exactly you mounted the rear-facing camera in the cab. The only complication I can think of when installing in a RTL-E interior is the sliding rear window. It seems like you would have to mount it off-center on the non-sliding side of the window. Your install location seems great.
I see what you mean. I was able to mount it on the rubber gasket around the window, not on the actual window. It was installed with a double side type sticky tape. I'm hoping it will stay but if it doesn't I will consider sticking it to the glass.

Mine is a SPORT

Attaching some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,230 Posts
The mirror camera is a great idea. Here are a couple other tips on reducing blind spots:

1) sit in your truck as you normally would when driving. Check your side mirrors. Can you see the sides of your truck? If so, the mirrors are set in too far. Move them out until you have to tilt your head slightly to see the sides of the truck. Then your mirrors will be adjusted correctly.

2) the headrests on the rear seat are removable. Take them out if you never have rear passengers. If you do occasionally have rear passengers, you might store the headrests in a box or bag under the rear seat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The mirror camera is a great idea. Here are a couple other tips on reducing blind spots:

1) sit in your truck as you normally would when driving. Check your side mirrors. Can you see the sides of your truck? If so, the mirrors are set in too far. Move them out until you have to tilt your head slightly to see the sides of the truck. Then your mirrors will be adjusted correctly.

2) the headrests on the rear seat are removable. Take them out if you never have rear passengers. If you do occasionally have rear passengers, you might store the headrests in a box or bag under the rear seat.
I hardly ever have anyone sitting in the back so I 3D printed some holders to hold the rear headrests behind the front headrests. It would be easy enough to make them out of hardwood.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
190 Posts
I see what you mean. I was able to mount it on the rubber gasket around the window, not on the actual window. It was installed with a double side type sticky tape. I'm hoping it will stay but if it doesn't I will consider sticking it to the glass.

Mine is a SPORT

Attaching some pics.
Thanks for posting the rear-facing camera mounted in your Sport. Very, very useful visual information. Based on your picture, I think that setup will still work well in the RTL-E with a sliding rear window.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts

That's very similar to how I set my side mirrors too. I set them up so that a car passing on my left seamlessly merges from my rear view mirror into my left side mirror, and same for the right side mirror. For example, as a car approaches one side or the other, at one point, I'll have one headlight showing in one of the side mirrors while the other headlight is still in the rear view mirror. By the time a car reaches the traditional blind spot and moves past where the side mirror shows, I'll be able to see the car just off to the side with my side vision.

But most cars I get in for whatever reason seem to always have the side mirrors adjusted to see the side of the car, which sets up the classic blind spot. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
12 Posts
... I decided to try the NexiGo D90 mirror dash cam...
Jumping on the D90 band wagon. Although I already have a nice Rove Dash cam, it will be replaced by this D90.
Main reason to do this is that I'm not a fan of auto-dim mirrors. They just don't work as well as the flip mirrors did. Also with a digital rear-view mirror I can reinstall the head rests and still see more than before. Being a front/rear cam is just icing.

Question: I plan on mounting the rear camera outside just under the cab-brake light. Does anyone know how to remove or get into that plastic area which includes the sides and top that houses that brake light?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@LunarSilverSport Thanks for the idea. I wound up ordering a similar unit, though not the exact same. Install was pretty easy, even hard-wiring power to the fuse box, and now I have much greater visibility out the back.
I hope you find it as useful as I do. I can't imagine driving without it. Was it difficult to hard-wire? It would be a cleaner setup so I'm going to look into that as well. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you find it as useful as I do. I can't imagine driving without it. Was it difficult to hard-wire? It would be a cleaner setup so I'm going to look into that as well. Thanks
Wasn't difficult to hardwire at all. I bought a $20 kit specific to my camera mirror, and I imagine yours probably has one as well. I routed the wires along the front headliner until I came to the driver's side A-pillar, then took the weatherstripping off and ran it down that side until I came out near the parking brake. There are two fuses that require connection (#28 and #30 were open for me on a 2022 model), along with a ground. One of the fuses is for accessory power, so the mirror camera only powers on when the car is running. Works perfectly!

One suggestion - don't bother taking off the A-pillar cover. I did so, wound up scratching up my dash in that area, and it turned out I didn't even need to do so. Removing the weatherstripping is all you need to do. The weatherstripping then just pushes right back on when you're done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
D90 First Impressions & Installation:

Installed the Nexia D90 in my G2 today. I installed the rear camera outside below the third-brake-light. Here is how I managed it.
-Removed the third-brake-light trim using info from this video... (video)
-Tied a steel washer on a string and pushed it in the hole where the 3rd-brake-light wire comes through.
-Using a very strong magnet up against the headliner I managed to drag the washer to the sunroof then to the front of the vehicle. Took some trial and error.
-Removed the washer and tied on the rear camera wire, after cutting off the red wire (only needed for backup activation)
-Pulled the wire back from the front to rear with the string. Stashed all the extra wire under the 3rd-brake-light trim.

White Light Body jewelry Motor vehicle Wood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Fixture Automotive design Mode of transport

Twig Icicle Freezing Winter Metal

Impressions: Mixed.
The Good - I really like the wide view. Notice the two before/after pics below. They were taken with the toneau cover rolled open, yard debris in the bed, and a 15 gal fuel bottle, head rests under the seat. The stock mirror left little to see out the back, but the D90 (as installed) sees over everything and takes in the blind spots too.
The No-so-good - Glare/Reflection. Granted I've only had one short drive so far but this was very noticeable. What makes it worse is that, it seems, the focal distance is different and I tend to focus on the far away reflection and have to concentrate to focus close to take-in the digital mirror image.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Plant Hood Automotive mirror
Hood Vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Plant

Well, that's my two cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The No-so-good - Glare/Reflection. Granted I've only had one short drive so far but this was very noticeable. What makes it worse is that, it seems, the focal distance is different and I tend to focus on the far away reflection and have to concentrate to focus close to take-in the digital mirror image.

View attachment 427320 View attachment 427321

Well, that's my two cents.
I had the same problem and was close to returning the unit. I then tilted the mirror/unit down and pointed towards the rear seats. Took care of the glare problem and left very clear picture. If I want to turn off the video feed, I simply tilt the mirror back up. Hard to explain through text, but essentially rear seats don't give off a reflection so we only see what the camera is producing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem and was close to returning the unit. I then tilted the mirror/unit down and pointed towards the rear seats. Took care of the glare problem and left very clear picture. If I want to turn off the video feed, I simply tilt the mirror back up. Hard to explain through text, but essentially rear seats don't give off a reflection so we only see what the camera is producing.
Makes perfect sense - thanks!
Will try this tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline BE
42 Posts
How's the glare at night from the headlights behind? I love the auto-dimming on the stock mirror. Not sure how the camera/monitor set up would handle very low light with bright spots. Can you still see clearly? Is the screen bright at night?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts