Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my 2007 RTL with only ~89k miles. I am torn about fixing up the damage and continuing to use as my daily driver, scrap it or get it fixed and then sell it off as best I can. I am hoping the images come through. It is totally smashed right front corner into the radiator reservoir and crumpled up hood.

Estimate is $8K, and the adjuster has not gotten back to me yet. I am going bonkers going through scenarios.

It has not had timing belt or other major items done. It has had routine fluids, filters according to the MM. It has been rock solid for me, and I love the hell out of my truck.

Any thoughts?
thanks,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow. hard hit. Hope you are okay. I feel like you only have two options. Fix it, or fix it. haha

This is assuming you have decent insurance and the air bags didn't go off.

If you sell it wrecked, you won't get nearly the $ of what it is worth. If anything, fix it then sell it. But odds are once it is fixed and you see her looking all new, you won't want to sell it anyways.

Is a Honda dealer doing the repairs? Maybe while it is totally busted up, getting all the fluids done as well as timing belt and water pump all at the same time aren't a bad idea.

Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Oh, deer!

Personally, I don't like driving a wrecked/damaged/altered vehicle, so I'd be inclined to have it fixed then get rid of it before it potentially showed up on CARFAX or AutoCheck.

However, given your acceptable mileage and if you're otherwise satisfied with the vehicle and intend to keep it as a daily driver, it makes the most economic sense to fix it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Why are you apprehensive to have it repaired ?

Done right the vehicle will be 100% pre accident condition in three categories.
1) Appearance 2) corrosion protection 3) collision protection.
If the repair is done right you will have nothing to worry about what so ever.
Any one who says otherwise is unaware of what can be done in collision repair.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Insurance will fix it or total it. If they fix it then drive it and see if you like it. It should drive like it did before the crash. If you satisfied with it keep it, if not sell it.

Of course this is considering you have insurance.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
As long as it is not money out of your pocket to fix it, do it! As said, if you don't like it after it is done then sell or trade it in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It looks like it's going be within $1000-$1500 of being a total loss. If it got into the suspension-drive train the insurance company will probably elect to total it. They will not want to pay more in repairs than the total loss threshold (most states it 75% of retail value.

Is the dash damaged, interior trim, as stated above suspension-drive train, wiring etc. Keep us informed:act010:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Eat the deer, fix the truck

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Man that must have been some big deer. With the structure of the RL, I'm surprised with the damage. I would be surprised to see the insurance fix it. I would start shopping for a good used one if I were you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I have full coverage with $1k deductible, so I believe I will get it fixed up for about that $.

Yes, it was a pretty good size buck. I was going around 70 mph and it tossed the deer 30-40 feet into the ditch. I don't think it ran there. A couple of guys that stopped after the hit ended up taking it with them.

8 days after I get the estimate I find that the shop had not submitted it correctly to my insurance to review. I am watching the claims process on the web, so I submitted it yesterday with the pictures. More waiting on the adjuster to make the decision.

I really think I will keep and drive it for a while, but I will always have doubts in my head about reliability now. What about engine, structural damage that was not discovered. and corrected? I got it shut down and off the road fairly quick, but the flatbed truck had me start it back up to drive it up the bed. I know it was a short time, but coolant had been leaking from the reservoir hit.

I also saw the rebuild thread, but i do not have anything close to that talent to do that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya on the rebuild. That's more than I care to take on myself. But the OP in that thread did a great job... and just touched base recently to report no lingering issues from that rebuild. I'll bet someone could buy your damaged RL and build a nice one out of it on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I had 12k into mine at about 38k. 128k and runs new.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,388 Posts
I had a front end collision (my fault) on my 06 Ridgeline about 2 years ago. Front bumper, hood, radiator, ac condensor, at cooler, front subframe, pass headlight, passenger side fender etc etc. Truck had around 85K miles on it at the time and was not totaled. Bodyshop used all OEM parts except the AC condensor and fixed it well. The Ridge's underlying structure is very solid and the front subframe (if damaged) is a bolt on part. Before they unbolted the front subframe they pulled it (front cross tube was bent back) straight so that this in turn would correct any slight bends in the frame itself. . . Basically my truck has many, many new parts up front with almost no repaired original pieces. It drives well and looks good. The Ridge is a tank and I can't see why yours wouldn't repair pretty much good as new.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
+1 for fix it & drive it. You love the truck, and if it's fixed right, you'll forget it ever happened. You've got to keep that low mileage advantage. I'm guessing it's still nice inside as well, right? Don't give up a good thing. Get a dealer to assess the repairs after the fact, if it's not actually repaired at the dealer. Might cost you a few bucks, but will be worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I really think I will keep and drive it for a while, but I will always have doubts in my head about reliability now. What about engine, structural damage that was not discovered. and corrected? I got it shut down and off the road fairly quick, but the flatbed truck had me start it back up to drive it up the bed. I know it was a short time, but coolant had been leaking from the reservoir hit.

I also saw the rebuild thread, but i do not have anything close to that talent to do that.

The way it normally goes is the insurance company will write an initial estimate. ( usually pretty crappy )
The body shop will take the vehicle apart and find all the hidden damage. Structural, mechanical, what ever. They will then submit a supplement, and then the the insurance company will pay them direct for the additional as long as it does not hit that total threshold.
Structural unitized repairs are VERY common and with the right equipment and training quite easy. A damaged frame of structural unibody is not a reason to panic.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It would probably take $18-$19,000 in damage to total loss it. Probably not that much damage based on what I've read here.

If they offer to repair as opposed to a total loss payout, then I agree with some others about having it fixed and driving it for another 100K miles. Modern repair techniques are great and the unibody construction of the Ridgeline makes fixing even moderate to severe damage possible.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts