Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On June 5, 2019, I ordered a set of 9005 SL1 LED headlights from @Diode Dynamics to replace the factory halogen high beam headlights on my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. Since that time and as of the time of this post, their website still states that they are compatible. They arrived on June 8, 2019. That same day, I attempted to install them. Due to the short distance between the base and flange of the of SL1's, they would not fit down into the sockets far enough to turn and lock into place. The instructions state:

4. Fitment: If the bulb does not seem to fit properly in the headlamp socket, check to confirm the SL1 bulb size matches that of your original bulb. If it seems too tight in the socket, carefully align the bulb so it is completely straight with tabs in the correct position, push the bulb evenly and firmly into the socket, then apply adequate rotational force to lock the bulb in place. If you experience trouble, you may adjust or remove the red rubber o-ring and attempt reinstall. Contact Diode Dynamics if you still experience any trouble.

5. Fitment: While Diode Dynamics has tested hundreds of headlamps for compatibility and fitment, in certain vehicles, the SL1 bulb may not fit due to overall constraints in size and space, especially for some vehicles with dust caps. Please contact Diode Dynamics for assistance if it does not appear that the SL1 will fit properly in your vehicle.

I am very careful and precise with such installations and thought perhaps I wasn't using sufficient force after reading the instructions. Again, I carefully aligned the tabs on the flange with the socket, pushed the bulb "evenly and firmly into the socket" then tried to apply "adequate rotational force to lock the bulb into place". During most attempts, the bulb simply wouldn't turn. During other attempts, only one or two of the tabs would lock resulting in a misaligned bulb and stress on the socket.

Per the instructions, I contacted Diode Dynamics by sending an email to the address listed on their website on June 8, 2019. On June 10, 2019, I had not received a response, so I called and spoke with Steve who answered my call quickly and was very courteous and eager to provide assistance. He suggested repositioning or removing the O-ring or replacing it with the O-ring from my original bulbs. He also suggested rotating the collar and offered a full refund if I couldn't get them to fit. None of these suggestions worked so I requested an RMA that same day. The RMA was approved on June 11, 2019 after which I dropped off the prepaid return at my local post office. Diode Dynamics received my return on June 14, 2019. As of June 24, 2019, I still hadn't received a refund so I called and spoke to Matthew and asked where my refund was. He spoke to his accounting department and was able to get the order refunded within minutes. I wonder how much longer they would have sat on my money had I not called. I also wonder why it takes "3-5 business days" to issue a refund after a product has been received in addition to the "1-2 days" it takes for the credit to appear on my account.

Unfortunately, the failed attempts to install the LED bulbs that Diode Dynamics claimed and still claims are compatible with a 2019 Ridgeline on their website stressed the sockets in the headlight housings to the point that the original bulbs no longer fit securely. Because their product damaged my headlight housings, I requested that they replace the worst of the two headlight assemblies. Matthew apologized that the bulbs did not fit and for the damage to the headlight assemblies, but refused to replace the headlight assembly citing that it was against their policy to do so. After informing him that I would be publishing an honest and accurate review of my experience with their product and service on this website, he said he would speak with someone and placed me on hold. After returning to my call, he apologized again and refused to replace the headlight assembly.

I did the legwork for them by illustrating why these bulbs won't fit this application and listed all the Pilot and Ridgeline year models and trims that aren't compatible. They thanked me for that information in an email on June 13, 2019, yet continue to list them as compatible on their website.

Adding insult to injury, the refund was processed at $150.00 instead of $160.45. They did not refund the $10.45 shipping charge! UPDATE: After bringing this to their attention, they refunded the shipping charge and responded, "While we do not generally refund the initial shipping charge, we will get it refunded in this particular case."

Premium Member
You have more patience than me. If they had not responded in two days, I would called again and followed up with an email. The second email would be stating that if I do not hear within 1-business day, I will be disputing it and doing so accordingly. I am not saying that DD has poor business practice, but this remark about shipping is just childish (unless you requested for expedited shipping and not standard).

Administrator
Discussion Starter #3
...this remark about shipping is just childish (unless you requested for expedited shipping and not standard).
I chose the least expensive shipping option.

I paid $150 + $10.45 shipping for the DD units for a total of $160.45.

The XD units were listed as regularly $139.99 and on sale for $119.99. There was also a 10% discount coupon worth $12 and free shipping for a total of $107.99.

Premium Member
I see that on DD's website. Looks like the shipping is a pass through item on a $150.00 item (that does not even fit). I tried a test shopping and mine was around $12 for standard shipping.

All in all, glad you got it resolved and glad the XD unites are working good so far!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts