Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda;

I have been waiting for years to find the truck that I like. the truck the I really feel home when driving it, and the one that I wouldn't want to leave when I arrived to my destination. I've saved all the extra money that I could for the past 10 years or so, waiting. few years ago, I almost bought a chevy, then almost bought a dodge.. every time I shopped for a truck, something held me back. this year, a friend of mine mentioned that Honda is coming out with a truck, and the first time I saw the photo, I fell in love. never mind waiting 3 months to get the color that I wanted, but I did. and I purchased one on june 3rd, a little before my B-day but who cares, I couldn't wait, I bought "MY TRUCK".
this was the first time I've ever purchased, or even driven a Honda. I was very happy with the new vehicle. everyone was telling how great Honda vehicles are, and I should expect the best in auto experience.
The dealership was good, the salesperson was great. the service department was also very good. until I noticed the things that shouldn't be on a vehicle of that style and price.
the service people at the dealer tried to fix the rattling noise in the tailgate twice, but the noise is still there today. they did call me to take it in for the third time, but I need to drive to work. so I couldn't. I told then I'll schedule an appointment later.
I mentioned the wind noise when driving over 50 mph or so to the survey lady that called from Honda, and to couple other people at the dealer, no one offered a solution yet. then the gas mileage, for the life of me, and no matter how I drove, I could not get more that 12 miles to the gallon, the most I got was a little less than 15 miles to the gallon, but most of that was freeway driving, the sales person said: "the more you drive the car the better mileage you get" it's still the same at over 2300 miles. that is very disappointing. there are many other little annoyances, but I could live with those.

THE WORST part was when I had an accident, last week. a little VW ran into my ridgeline's driver side front corner (at about 30 or so mph), and crippled it. yes CRIPPLED this 5 star crash test rated vehicle. I was shocked. the little car drives off, and my truck wobbles half a mile to the parking lot and waits for a tow truck. That was a very devastating disappointment. I have never felt so emotionally drained that something like this could happen to something that I loved so much.
**I think the crash tests need to be done again.

the truck is at the body shop now and will be there for at least the next 10 days to fix the body damage, and I don't know how long will it take for them to figure out and fix the mechanical damage.

in closing, I know this note will probably never reach a decision maker, and most likely wont make a difference but I feel obligated to write it, and to pass it on to other ridgeline owners and want to be owners, for reference.
I appreciate the great feeling that I got driving this car for the first couple of weeks or so, but I think - when she comes out of the shop - I will be putting 'her' up for sale, and go back to waiting for another car manufacturer to build my truck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You said the car hit your front corner. Did it actually hit the wheel? If so, I'm not surprised it was "crippled". Any vehicle would be if the wheel/axle is affected. That has absolutely nothing to do with the 5 star side impact crash rating. That only refers to the intrusion into the passenger compartment and the effectiveness of the safety systems (airbags, structural members, etc). Did the passenger cabin cave in? Were you physically hit by any part of the other vehicle? If not, the RL's safety features probably did their job.

I understand your frustration with gas mileage. I'm getting less than many report on this site too. Still hopeful though.
Sorry to hear of your experience thus far, but lets be fair about the 5 star side impact rating.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash...but I think you missed the point of a 5 star rating. You survived, without injury right? That is the point. The truck is supposed to give up itself for YOU. Just because the impact point hit the wheel area, the RL couldn't be driven away. The crush zones did their job.

I hope that you feel better about keeping the RL after it gets out of the shop. You likely won't do better going anywhere else. Wait until after you have had at least one oil change before you give up on the mileage figures. The motor isn't even broken in yet!

·
Registered
78 Posts
WOW!!! I do feel for you on the wreck part. I just had mine repaired, one of my employees went out for lunch and a SLK Mercedes ran a light and you can guess the rest. The damage done to the ridge was substantial compared to the other vehicle, my bumper and headlight fell off and the fender peeled like a ripe peach. At least the other was silver, matched well.

I would wait and see how it comes back, mine was repaired and I am very happy with the work. I had a body shop that I have worked with for years do the work and his reputation is excellent. The truck came back and you can not tell it was even damaged.

On the milage, I suggest drive it and it will get better. I did get only 13 mpg at first and now I get 18-20 in the city and believe it or not 28 on the way to New Orleans last week. I have 10,900 on the truck and it seems to run better each week.

The repair issue, talk with a manager. Ask him to look at the issue and drive it with him so they hear it. (Not trying to talk down to you), just do not accept any answer. I had a issue with mine and the writer informed me not to drive at the speed it happened at, I suggested he take the unit back and I would stop payment on my check. I ended up going to another dealer and they are awesome, turns out the writer is a customer at one of my stores.

I drive a new truck each year, I feel that I will keep this one for a while. Did I mention that I picked up mine and the next day went back to get my wife one. Yes, we are a 2 ridge family. Give it a chance you will like it.

L

·
0 Posts
Dear Mr. K,
First let me say how sorry I am that all this happened to you. No one deserves that much heartache with a new vehicle no matter who made it.
Second, let me offer some unsolicited advice. If this vehicle gave you so much pleasure why give up on it now?? As you may know, many of us have been through similar even worse situations with our trucks, not to dismantle your feelings what so ever.
If you go to the Dr. and find out that you have a cold, then it goes into the flu, then you get the chicken pox, do you remove yourself from your life?? No..I am sure you don't.
I was just thinking this morning about my ROC family as I was washing Ridgena and thinking how lucky we all are here at the ROC to have each other and to support each other when times are good and when they aren't so good. Some of us have had some rough times and others have had nothing but pure pleasure. But we stay with that vehicle that gives us such excitement when we drive her and we don't allow anything to stand in the way of that feeling. To quote a very good friend of mine from this forum, "Let no one steal your joy". Don't even let YOU steal your own joy. I am a first time Honda owner myself and have had difficulty on a few issues but knowing that I can get high without chemicals the moment I step into that truck is enough for me to say, just another bridge to cross.
Now..it may sound like I have some stake in you keeping that vehicle and I guess maybe I do. Even though you are new to the family, you are still family and I as well as countless others want to be here for you too. The majority will be honest almost to the point of being brutal. But you can always count on an honest opinion if you choose to seek one.
I have been coming here every day for the past 8.5 months, 6 months as a voicing member/owner. Mostly because I am hoping someone has something new to tell me about my Ridgeline I didn't already know or maybe I can share something I know that others don't. But also for the friendships I have built and the knowledge of a vehicle that gets my famiy and I home safe at night. Yes, it's just a vehicle but we do put a lost of trust in that vehicle to keep us safe. It sounds like you are were uninjured. Thank God for that.
In closing, I just want to say congratulations and welcome to the ROC family. We're glad you are here and we hope you stay. Hang in there because life is good in a Ridgeline and we're here for you.
Your ROC family member in the great state of Ohio.
LadyRidge :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I'm sorry about your accident. I'm glad you are OK and this is the most important thing. The five star rating doesn't mean that if you hit something (or something will hit you) at 30 miles per hour there will be no scratch on the car. It means that you will survive and the car will absorb all the impact. When the first cars were made many people have died or got severely injured in the slow speed accidents even though there was a minor damage to the car. This truck incorporates almost everything there is know in the industry to preserve YOUR life and health. The engine drops to the ground in case of the front impact instead going into the cabin an crashing your legs, the crumple zones are designed to absorb as much of the impact as possible, then you have airbags all 5 of them. All this of course makes repairs expensive in case of the accident, but the main goal is for the occupants to survive or not to get injured. When it comes to MPG, I don't know sounds like there is something wrong with your truck or calculation, because I have a very heavy leg, and drive way too fast and get about 16-19 depending on the conditions. Even when I was towing I got 13-15, and by no means I was driving conservatively.

I hope they will do great job fixing your truck, and you will enjoy your Ridgeline experience from now on. Welcome to the ROC.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hmmmm........early VINs had distinctive problems. I don't remember the tailgate being one of them, but it's a valid question.

L

·
0 Posts
VaVet96 said:
Hmmmm........early VINs had distinctive problems. I don't remember the tailgate being one of them, but it's a valid question.

If memory serves me, the tailgate was the very first issue Honda faced with the Ridgeline. There was an issue with the handle. Maybe it is the latch that is broken.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mr-K said:
Dear Honda;

I appreciate the great feeling that I got driving this car for the first couple of weeks or so, but I think - when she comes out of the shop - I will be putting 'her' up for sale, and go back to waiting for another car manufacturer to build my truck.
Mr-K, your disappointment is certainly understandable. When your truck comes out of the shop for the body works and repairs, it will be just like new! When it comes out, continue to pursue the problem with the service department for resolution. If and when you do not get a satisfactory response, ask to talk to the manger! The wind noise is well known. Tell them you are a member of the ROC and know for sure this is a well known problem by American Honda. I think someone made mention of a TSB coming. And insist they take a better approach to fix the noise in the tailgate!! Tell them how outraged you are that you have wasted enough time on them! Once you get over this hump, these bad moments just becomes a dim memory'
while you, once again, feel the joys of the Ridgeline! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Before your were hit, did the Honda folks solve your problems? I think not, your dealer especially;therefore and consequently, why not invoke the lemon law. From your description, parish the thought a Honda and a LEMON!?#@%* But, stanger thing have happened and Horatio, what transpires between Heaven and earth is stranger then man can comprehend.
:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
All that happened to this guy.......................................and this is the first time He's posted anything about it ??!!??!!??

Lets see some pictures buddy.............

·
Registered
50 Posts
chicago said:
All that happened to this guy.......................................and this is the first time He's posted anything about it ??!!??!!??

Lets see some pictures buddy.............
Can't believe everything you read in the papers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe the "break-in" oil that your Ridgeline came with is different from normal oil. ( to facilitate proper piston ring seating ) Imediately after my first oil change, my gas milage improved significantly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't believe for a moment that this is true. This has been going on in other forums knocking the Ridgeline. You did NOT get hit as described and the other car just drove away. BS.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
pbear said:
I don't believe for a moment that this is true. This has been going on in other forums knocking the Ridgeline. You did NOT get hit as described and the other car just drove away. BS.
Doubting Sam? I think you may be right!!! I am retracting my empathizing for now... :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
1st post? Im calling "Shennanigans"

·
Registered
153 Posts
mr-K sorry to read about your problems and wreck. I've got over 20,000 miles on my Ridgeline and it's going great.

When you get your truck fixed up and for sale please post or e-mail me pictures. My son is looking for a used truck and he will be interested. If it's as bad off as you say the price should be right.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Tiger

1 - 20 of 33 Posts