Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Display Audio system freeze/reboot/blank

42K views 121 replies 65 participants last post by  lbjgh 
#1 ·
Navigation - blank screen

Started the truck this morning and the NAV screen was completely blank. Could not get anything to appear regardless of which selections I made on the touchscreen. After about 5 minutes, got a message that said the Garmin system was not responding. Pulled into a parking lot, turned the truck off and then started it. NAV came up fine and worked after that. First issue I have seen with the unit.

#48 ·
Happened to me on the weekend as well, black screen, but the guide lines were there, I thought that I had just mudded up the lens, but it was clear. I had issues with backup cameras on my previous cars, the oddest was the KIA that ran the back up camera when I was going down the road twice.

#50 ·
Map screen went black.

When leaving a restaurant I noticed my navigation map was not on the display. I could get any other screen but not the map. Radio setting would show, just no map.

When I got home I turned the ignition off and then restarted and the map was back like nothing had happened.

Anyone else experience this?

#51 ·
Re: Map screen went black.

Anyone else experience this?
Yes.

While it may not be preferred, ideal, or normal, its not uncommon for infotainment systems to occasionally do things like this.

Remember: This is basically an Android tablet (general purpose computer) running custom software written by Honda, Garmin, and others to perform specific functions. There are hundreds of megabytes of bloated code and dozens of processes running in the background. These systems are full of bugs. The most serious are sometimes addressed through infrequent updates.

Beginning with the 2018 Odyssey and more recently with the 2018 Accord and 2019 Insight, the software on Honda's newest infotainment systems can be upgraded over USB, Wi-Fi, or 4G LTE, which makes the process easier and faster and could potentially make the systems more stable more quickly. The Odyssey had dozens and dozens of bugs that were fixed fairly quickly through software updates.

#53 ·

Yep, thinking it was just a fluke as the RTL-E has performed without flaw. Love the entertainment/NAV package. Work quite well with the iPhone.

Is there a combination of buttons that reboots the entertainment/NAV System?

#65 ·

Yep, thinking it was just a fluke as the RTL-E has performed without flaw. Love the entertainment/NAV package. Work quite well with the iPhone.

Is there a combination of buttons that reboots the entertainment/NAV System?
REALLY!!?? I have a 2017 E and an iPhone 7 running 11.x OS and the entire NAV unit reboots for no reason I can see. It may bne 3 weeks between reboots. But then it will reboot 6,7 or 8 times until I turn the truck off.
My last trip to the dealer was at 10k miles and I told them "Do not tell me to get a video of the (*&% thing! That's dangerous.".
2 or 3 days later when I picked up my truck I was told it's a known problem with iPhone 11.x OS. We un-paired the phone and it hasn't rebooted in 3 months. BUT, Georgia just passed a no hands law starting July 1.

My 11 year old Camry really like the iPhone 7 with 11.x OS.

#55 ·

I am just going to add, that the system in the ‘17 Accord has freaked out because my wife had her e-cig charging on the USB port connection to the HU. We’ve also had various reports of other issues when plugging things into the 12v & USB on the G2.

Reactions: zroger73
#56 ·

I am just going to add, that the system in the ‘17 Accord has freaked out because my wife had her e-cig charging on the USB port connection to the HU. We’ve also had various reports of other issues when plugging things into the 12v & USB on the G2.
Good to know. Nothing plugged into either.

Thinking it was just a glitch as it has not happened again.

#57 ·

Question is, why are they, though andrioid based, this glitchy. I have been keeping up with the odyclub forum as I am in the market for the new Odyssey.
I have a carpc (for the last 7 years) running windows and I am yet to have a blackout. Are we able to uninstall the bloatware, or are they locked in like they are on our phones?

#58 ·

Question is, why are they, though andrioid based, this glitchy. I have been keeping up with the odyclub forum as I am in the market for the new Odyssey.
I have a carpc (for the last 7 years) running windows and I am yet to have a blackout. Are we able to uninstall the bloatware, or are they locked in like they are on our phones?
Windows is a mature product - it's 32 years old and proprietary. Android is only 8 years old and is open source, so anybody can modify it. Our infotainment systems run Android 4.2.2, which was less than 5 years old when it was released and was no longer supported by Google even when the first Ridgeline that came with it rolled off the assembly line.

Apps crash more often than the operating system.

No, you cannot remove software.

#64 ·

I have the standard stereo, so not exactly the same but it reminded me of something. While adjusting the screen brightness settings, I inadvertently turned the screen OFF and couldn't figure out how to turn it back on. The brightness has 3 modes: daylight settings, night time settings, and OFF.

#70 ·
Display dead on my new 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

I was playing around with the settings on my display head unit. I got into some of the developer settings and I switched the boot mode to uploader mode. After I did this the display went blank, and I have not been able to find a way to access the settings to switch off the uploader boot mode. There has got to be a way to switch it back out of that mode, I just don't know what it is. Can anyone help me with this please?

#120 ·
Display dead on my new 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

I was playing around with the settings on my display head unit. I got into some of the developer settings and I switched the boot mode to uploader mode. After I did this the display went blank, and I have not been able to find a way to access the settings to switch off the uploader boot mode. There has got to be a way to switch it back out of that mode, I just don't know what it is. Can anyone help me with this please?
I did the same thing. Did you get it fixed?

#71 ·
Re: Display dead on my new 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

Try Factory Reset

1. Select . Home
2. Select Settings.
3. Select System.
4. Select the Others tab.
5. Select Factory Data Reset. A confirmation message appears on the screen.
6. Select Yes to reset the settings.
7. Select Yes again to reset the settings. A confirmation message appears on the screen. Select OK.
After selecting OK, the system will reboot.

If you cannot get the Home button to respond, press and hold the Audio Power button down for about 3 seconds try again.

All else fails, you may need to take it to the dealer to have them reset the system. Maybe they will not charge you but I wouldn't count on that. Honda doesn't want people poking around the operating system, that's why its locked down to prevent apps loading.

#72 ·
Appreciate the info. My screen is black. Nothing shows up on the screen at all. The buttons are illuminated, but the screen is completely blank. I've tried holding the three buttons down as I did when I originally accessed those settings, but nothing. Tried disconnecting the battery to force it to reboot. No luck...

#75 · (Edited)
#77 ·
#80 ·
Re: Display dead on my new 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

I was driving my 2018 Accord one day a few weeks ago when the display went blank. The buttons and backlight were illuminated, but there was nothing on the screen. Neither the volume nor any of the other buttons would work except for the brightness button, which would "wake up" the display for a few more minutes and everything would work fine until a few minutes later it would go blank again.

Come to find out, I had accidentally enabled the sleep setting in developer mode. When I turned that back off, everything worked normally again. :)