Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2012 Ridgeline RTL with a Nav system. I did not want the Nav system, it just so happened to be included in the Ridgeline I found. The reason I didn't want a Nav system is because I have noticed the navigation software that comes with my Android phone is updated continually from both a road data perspective as well as the design of the user interface. Compare that to the Nav systems that come with cars that require you to purchase a new CD or DVD each year for data and the User Interfaces always look old and out dated. For this reason I am hoping someone has found a way to display your phones screen and audio on the screen that comes with the Nav system? Has anyone seen this before?

·
Administrator
19,513 Posts
Welcome to the ROC!

While it is possible, I wouldn't recommend it, want to do it, or would do it. It's a terribly inelegant solution. There are aftermarket adapters that can "hijack" the navigation display and allow it to accept a composite video signal. If there is a cable for your phone that can output a composite video signal then that takes care of the video. You have an AUX input jack above your glove compartment that can be used to send the phone's audio through your truck's speakers.

Keep in mind the following [extreme] limitations:

1. The navigation display would be only a display - not a touch input device.

2. You could not use the truck's microphone as an input to your phone.

3. Being of a very dated design, the resolution of the navigation display is very low. Your phone's output would likely look blurry and pixelated.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I like the idea, but wonder if you'll lose the backup camera if you disconnect?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your right, the Navi Screen basically sucks. Honda just sent me an email to purchase an update DVD for 99 bucks LOL

I bought a Garmin about a month ago. Its 10X better. Lifetime updates and traffic built in. Works fantastic!!!

·
Administrator
19,513 Posts
Your right, the Navi Screen basically sucks. Honda just sent me an email to purchase an update DVD for 99 bucks LOL

I bought a Garmin about a month ago. Its 10X better. Lifetime updates and traffic built in. Works fantastic!!!
The Garmin can't control your HVAC or radio via voice commands.
The Garmin doesn't have dead reckoning, so if you lose GPS signal your current position isn't indicated.
The Garmin is more likely to be lost, stolen, or damaged since it isn't physically integrated with the vehicle.
The Garmin has a smaller screen.
The Garmin can't mute the front speakers when it speaks.
The Garmin can't be controlled using voice commands initiated by steering wheel controls.

"Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. Third party content providers may change. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product."

History shows that factory navigation systems continue to be supported long after portable units exceed their "useful life". For example, Honda still offers map updates for the navigation system installed in Odysseys manufactured 14 years ago in 1999. Riddle me this: What's the oldest portable navigation system you are aware of that still works and is still updated?

For a couple hundred bucks, I suppose you can afford to throw away the obsolete unit and buy another one with "lifetime" updates every couple of years. Oh, wait... That comes out to about the same price as buying a new navigation DVD for your Ridgeline every year. Could it be that... Oh, nevermind. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great post Roger. I used to work in retail sales and some of my competitors had "lifetime warranties." Most people never realized that "lifetime" means the expected life of the product, not the owner. If it is expected to last 5 years, a lifetime warranty is good for 5 years.

I can't wait until the car stereos have a seemless interface with smartphones. It looks like its getting close.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I believe there are app radios that you might be able to pop in that spot. But then you lose the functions of the OEM nav. I'd just get a high end mount for the Android, hard wire it in and use that as is. I have the same opinion of the system - the Tom Tom on my I Phone 5 is leaps and bounds better and has traffic so I use that at the same time and occasionally check it to see if it is rerouting me for congestion. Other than that, I love the bluetooth / handsfree and the larger back up camera for hooking up trailers... those two alone were worth the price of admission for me. Might seem crazy to some but...

·
Administrator
19,513 Posts
My first encounter with a "lifetime" was a $300 Fluke multimeter we have at work that developed a display problem. Most here would have just tossed it and bought another since it served us well for several years. I decided to save the company $300 and have it repaired/replaced under Fluke's "lifetime" warranty. It was then that I read the fine print and realized "lifetime" means 7 years. The meter was just over that. I then decided to buy a replacement display, but it wasn't available by itself - it only came as part of a new board for not much less than the price of a new meter. I still prefer and rely on Fluke instruments both personally and at work, but why not just call it a 7-year warranty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts