Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the year I've had the truck, me wife and friends and I have gone on a few backwoods road trips to trail heads, many of which are off road. This summer I noticed a need for more lighting on our way to the Sawtooth wilderness in Idaho, as numerous deer and elk were about and I was forced to going 25mph.

Since that drive, I've been wanting some ditch lighting. After tons of looking, I saw there was no brackets for such lighting....so I made some! Thought I'd share...enjoy

Lights come in a few days. I will be using KC Hilites C3 pods.

More to come as soon as I have more to update with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's pretty snazzy! Good job! What kind of light will you go with?

*hopefully you have enough room where the light attaches, so that it won't hit the windshield when the hood is open.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's pretty snazzy! Good job! What kind of light will you go with?

*hopefully you have enough room where the light attaches, so that it won't hit the windshield when the hood is open.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
KC Hilites C3 pods

I've al
I've already accounted for the light housing and opening the hood, there shouldn't be any issues.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KC sent just a generic switch...I'm going to loose install it inside the cab until I get all the lighting done, then figure out a permanent place to mount a panel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All wired and running great. Went for a night test drive, and they really add good flood lighting towards the sides, no complaints at all. The wiring harness is extremely high quality.

Glad I did this. Only cost about 10 dollars for the steel and 144 for the lights shipped.

Lights clear touching the windshield to a certain extent. When the hood prop is holding the hood open they clear completely...but tilt it back another 30 degrees and they contact, I'm not worried about it though. Clear the windshield wipers also, absolutely no issues as of now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is great!! How did you make it, and can you post the flat pattern dimensions?
Its made from 10g steel, cut with an angle grinder for the shape, using a metal bit on the mounting holes, and a metal bit and dremel on the slot to mount the light. Then just a spray can of bedliner for the coating.

I have the rough template i made from cardboard, i can try and get it scanned or something.

There is a vibration while driving, its really not very noticeable. I might redo these and weld a few pieces to stiffen them up a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
That is awesome bud!!
It is very seldom that I use my Hella Fogs and honestly, I have not used it in almost 2.5 years. The vibrations, as you mentioned, of the lights, kills the joy.
Aside from the tricky wire routing, any reason why you did not want to mount it on the basket you have up top? Or to the roof rack? I would imagine it would be a bit more rigid up there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is awesome bud!!
It is very seldom that I use my Hella Fogs and honestly, I have not used it in almost 2.5 years. The vibrations, as you mentioned, of the lights, kills the joy.
Aside from the tricky wire routing, any reason why you did not want to mount it on the basket you have up top? Or to the roof rack? I would imagine it would be a bit more rigid up there.
I have other plans for lighting up top. I wanted these mounted here to light up the area off to the side (hence the name ditch lights). Up top I have plans to mount a light that will light up further past what the headlights reach. I also am thinking of putting something behind the lower grill.

This next week off I'm going to remake these in thicker steel, I'm thinking 3/16 304. I think that will take care of the vibration, plus add some corrosion protection.

I posted these on the facebook group, there was mild interest from others wanting me to make them a set. If I got a group of maybe 10 people, I would consider it, but I would need that many to make it worth the time it takes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts