Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Stampede VP Series clear bug shield from site sponsor http://www.realtruck.com/ and a can of paint to match my Dark Cherry Pearl Ridge from http://www.paintscratch.com/. I also spent a few extra bucks on the spray nozzle handle and it did make the job easier.

I used easy release painters masking tape to mask the front side to protect against overspray. In hindsight, I probably didn't have to mask it. It would have been just as easy to clean any overspray with alcohol but that had to be done before it cured (about 24 hours) and I was afraid of accidentally scratching the painted side. I cleaned the surface to be painted with dish detergent to remove any dirt, grit or greasy fingerprints.

I sprayed it in several very light coats, waiting 10 minutes between each coat. After the first couple of coats it looks blotchy, but resist the urge to fill it all in at once. Five to seven coats should do it, depending on whether or not you want it to remain slightly translucent. I gave it six coats and it is basically opaque. It probably goes without saying that the "rattle can" must be vigorously shaken between coats.

I was very pleased with the way it came out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The paint should cure for at least 24 hours but 48 would probably be better depending on the humidity. The weather forced me to wait for 72 hours but it was all good.

The installation kit that comes with the deflector consists of 6 nylon inserts with 6 nylon washers and 6 phillips head screws. The only tool required is a phillips head screwdriver.

Locate the six square holes under the weatherstripping and insert the nylon inserts.

They just snap in.

Carefully push the mounting tabs on the deflector between the hood and the weather stripping and make sure the mounting slots are positioned over the nylon inserts. Using the nylon washer and the screw, attach the deflector, but don't tighten the screws yet. Lower the hood and make sure the deflector is centered. The mounting tabs are slotted so it will move slightly one way or the other. When you're satisfied with the position, tighten the screws until they are just snug against the nylon washer. Don't over tighten.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a few photos of the finished project. I was very pleased with the outcome and it was a very easy mod for just under $100 total.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dusty, but I have a long way to go to catch up with you LOL.

I was amazed at how easy this was and no installation problems like I read about with some of the other deflector options.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
That is extremely slick looking. Since I have a black truck, the smoked bug shields work just fine, but what you have is a premier example of do-it-yourself customizing. BTW....where did you get the Honda spray paint in a can. I need some black for rear bumper touch-ups.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments Rusty and thanks for helping me pick the right deflector in previous posts. Did you ever order one to replace the one that was broken.

I ordered the paint from http://www.paintscratch.com/. You'll need a paint code from a sticker on your Ridge or the VIN #. It might be different for different years, I'm not sure. Mine matched with the VIN.

Don't think you'll find the candy apple red there though LOL. You have one awesome paint job. I bet you get lots of looks.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Thanks for your comments Rusty and thanks for helping me pick the right deflector in previous posts. Did you ever order one to replace the one that was broken.
As a matter of fact, after seeing yours installed, I went to one of the ROC sponsors a few minutes ago and ordered up a low profile, smoked to replace my broken one. I got 10% off and free shipping for a total of $59.35. The Lund bug shield I had, which by the way was 5 weeks out of it's one year warranty when I discovered it broken, was going to cost me over $90.00 to replace.

Don't think you'll find the candy apple red there though LOL. You have one awesome paint job. I bet you get lots of looks.
Yeah, matching that Candy paint job is a little rough. I've managed to get some engine pieces painted and since they aren't anywhere close to the outside paint, they look okay. I think the best comments are from the little old ladies who see the truck and come up and say how nice it looks. I mean when you've got a 70-year-old grandma come up to you and ask about your truck, you gotta be doing something right. :act035:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rusty, I'd love to see photos of the low profile when you get it installed.

And about those Granny comments,... I knew your ride was a chick magnet :act029:
Besides the color I bet they really like the hydraulics too.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Rusty, I'd love to see photos of the low profile when you get it installed.
I'm wondering if it is worth putting a layer of clear coat over a painted deflector.
True, no one care about how it looks on the backside, but it is more protection.

Regardless, I am looking forward to doing this same mod this week.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for all the info, I ordered my shield & paint this weekend... Hope to get it done soon also. A coat of clear can't hurt....

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Thanks for all the info, I ordered my shield & paint this weekend... Hope to get it done soon also. A coat of clear can't hurt....
I think it might be overkill. I don't want to have to wait to get another can of spray. Although there might be something locally available I could apply. After all, a clear coating does not have to be color matched. Chances are I will put off doing it at all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the clear coat and didn't use it. Figured If anything happened I could touch it up and then clear coat. So far, after 10,000 mile since installing the deflector, no problems without the clear coat.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I bought the clear coat and didn't use it. Figured If anything happened I could touch it up and then clear coat. So far, after 10,000 mile since installing the deflector, no problems without the clear coat.
Considering where the paint is, there should be adequate protection. Especially from any flying objects. :)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Wow!!! This bug deflector looks awesome. Wish I would have seen this before I purchased and installed my Honda bug deflector. Oh well, if/when the Honda one gets cracked, I'll be doing this little number. :act024:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just completed the steps you have provided. And it looks awesome! My coworkers and friends were impressed as well. I'm not an idiot, but this was IDIOT PROOF! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I just completed the steps you have provided. And it looks awesome! My coworkers and friends were impressed as well. I'm not an idiot, but this was IDIOT PROOF! Thanks a bunch!
PATCH,
Welcome to the ROC.

Dan

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the ROC and I'm glad you found this helpful. Feel free to post some photos.

ROC on :act035:

·
Registered
131 Posts
That looks awsome.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts