Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, congrats to everyone here who contributes to make this a great forum. When I was looking for my first ever truck last year I found the ROC and spent quite a few hours digging around and looking at all the mods and postings before deciding on an RL.

On my '14 RL Sport (the last Black Sport I could find new in VA) I've replaced the tweeters (big win), installed the Sportwing door protectors (they look and work great), added a few pieces of plastic and swapped in LED's from VLEDS (which are fantastic) for most globes plus the Fog Lights and DRLs.

The small globes and Fog Lights were a straight swap, but the DRLs were a PITA. I got VLED VX3s (2,800 Lumens!) and the Honda wiring harness which plugs straight into the driver's side factory plug, but it took a few "why the #%^& doesn't this thing work? I've tried every possible combination!" moments to figure out I had to close the circuit on the passenger side plug before the lights would come on. It makes perfect sense in hindsight as the DRL's are wired in series. I have the orange DRL warning light on the dash now (the harness has relays and the factor circuit is not drawing enough current) but aside from that they now work and look great.

Anyway, getting on topic: one thing that bugged me about my relatively down-spec Sport is that the interior is a dark cave without one of those little lights that shines down from the console like that the fancier models have. So I fitted a couple of these LEDs to the interior console:

I drilled into the plastic and tapped into the power for the existing in console light (and took the globe out of). The lights are held on with 3M tape. The LEDs will now adjust with the factory brightness control (they go from bright to very bright). The one red LED at the top is a piece of red transparent lego donated without permission by my kids. Fits right in. You can also buy these with three red LEDs but I prefer the white light for inside the console and red for the dash.

The net result is that I can now see the dash and inside the console and I'm a happy camper. It's an easy and cheap mod to do - takes about 30 minutes all up. I recommend to solder the connections.

My to-do list includes a full stereo and speakers replacement, leather seat covers, some of 5S Dude's bling, and some much better headlights. I'll keep digging around the forums...

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cannot find this anywhere and cannot make a new post so here goes. I am a newbie and have a 2014 Ridgeline Sport. I love it. Just bought it with 21k on it this year. Where you have the map light in the center console has anyone ever made it so you can plug in a USB port? If so what did you use? How did you get the power to stay on when the key is on? Any insite on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
I cannot find this anywhere and cannot make a new post so here goes. I am a newbie and have a 2014 Ridgeline Sport. I love it. Just bought it with 21k on it this year. Where you have the map light in the center console has anyone ever made it so you can plug in a USB port? If so what did you use? How did you get the power to stay on when the key is on? Any insite on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You can buy a USB port on ebay and power it from the rear cigarette lighter type power outlet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12-24V-...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2800d01d06

Here is a post showing how to tap into the rear power outlet.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110514

Here is a thread showing how I added USB/3.5mm to the center console even though it was powered from a BT-45HON Bluetooth unit.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104897

This thread will show how to have the power outlets hot when the key is off...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3090

Happy reading :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts