Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: As with all of my projects I claim no responsibility as to the accuracy of the information posted in this thread for liability's sake. This information is to be used for illustrative purposes and is to be used at your own risk! I claim no responsiblity as to the accuracy of the information posted in this post and in the follow up posts. Any interpretation or misinterpretation of the information posted herin is deferred to the reader/end user. The author of this post shall be held harmless to any damage done to anyone's vehicle as a result of implementation/usage/misimplementation/misuse of this information.

In other words, if you cross a wire or catch your truck on fire as a result of trying to do this modification, it's on you, not me. I do believe this information to be accurate but if you do something wrong and start blowing fuses or burn your garage down, don't have your attorney call me. You have been warned!!

And now, to the good stuff!!

Many people have requested LED Side Mirror Turn Signals for the RL yet none are available. Now you can make them yourself. All you need are some basic hand tools and a little patience. This project can be completed in less than 4 hours by anyone who has a rudimentary skill level with hand tools. This project will allow you to install LED turn signals that will be viewable from the front and back of the truck. The total cost for the LED's that I used in my installation was approximately $25 including tax.

I will post only the most relevant pictures in an effort to keep this as short as possible. Some of the pictures are links. Please click on the links to see the pictures. I have no idea why the pictures will not post but if you click on the blue underlined links, you will see the pictures. If you need an additional picture or explanation, please ask.

Tools supplies needed/suggested:

10 mm socket
10 mm wrench
Soldering Iron (suggested)
Electrical Tape
Phillips screw driver
T-25 Torx driver/bit
2 packages LED's for outside of mirrors (available at all major auto parts stores)
1 package LED arrows for inside of mirrors (available at all major auto parts stores)
Drill
Drill Bits
Coat hanger or Fish Tape
Pliers
15 ft. of 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire or zip wire
Some sort of pry tool (suggested)
A flat head screwdriver
A clean sock
A towel (to use as a rest for the mirror so you don't scratch it after removing it.)
Duct tape
Wire taps
Beer

OK Lets get started!!

The first step will be to remove the mirror part of the door mirror itself. I would suggest that you remove the reflective part of the mirror before removing the mirror housing from the truck but it can be done after removing the mirror housing iteslf. I suggest doing this with the mirror mechanism on the truck so that you have maximum leverage.

Pivot the mirror itself so that the bottom inside corner is pivoted outward. You can pivot the mirrors manually without harming the mechanism. It takes a fair amount of effort to get the mirror off. Pull the bottom edge of the mirror out from the housing. It will separate from the truck with a snap. Carefully disconnect the wires from the mirror if you have heated mirrors. The wires slide off the little thingys attached to the mirrors. Don't rip the connectors off of the mirror. Doing this will make your heated mirrors inoperative.

Next, remove the inside triangular cover from the door. You do not have to remove the inner door panel if you are careful. This can be done by pulling the top of the triangular cover by using some sort of pry tool. I suggest a plastic prying tool but you can use a flat head screwdriver covered by the sock. This is the panel in question.

Behind this cover are 3 bolts. Remove the 3 bolts. Use the 10 mm socket to take out the top bolt and use the 10 mm wrench to remove the bottom 2. If you are careful you can remove all 3 bolts to remove the mirror without taking off the door panel. If you drop a bolt, you will have to either fish the bolt out with a magnet or take off the door panel. I am fairly clumsy but was careful and did not have to remove either door panel.

Once you have the mirror unbolted, there is one plastic connector. Pull this connector through the hole in the door and disconnect the connector.

You will now have to dissemble the mirror completely. This is very easy.

There are several T-25 Torx screws on the underside of the mirror. Remove these screws and seperate the mirror housing from the hinge that attaches the mirror to the door. Take the wiring harness loose from it's hooks and pull it through the hinge.

There are a total of 7 screws that hold the mirror motor assembly inside of the housing. Here are where the first 6 are located.

Please do not post any replies until I have posted the entire How To Please in the interest of continuity. Thanks!!

·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: DIY LED Side Mirror Turn Signals PT II !!

The 7th screw can be found by pivoting the mirror and removing the plastic cover from the inside edge of the mirror housing which is here.

Remove the white motor harness completely from the mirror housing and set it aside.

Now, we are going to drill the holes for the outside LED's. This is the only tricky part of the entire operation as if you drill the holes incorrecty you are going to have to buy a new mirror housing. There is a trick to getting the holes in the right spot. (see below)

This is the brand of LED that I bought. Carefully cut the package open. Carefully remove the 3 LED's from the cardboard holder. I say carefully because the cardboard retainer can be used as a template to measure the spacing of the LED's on the mirror housing itself!

I would suggest taking the cardboard retainer and placing it against the outside of the mirror and get an idea of where you want your LED's to appear. I would suggest using a dry erase marker to mark the 3 spots where you want to drill your holes. The cardboard retainer contains exactly the same spacing as I used when I did my install. I only realized this after I did the install on the first mirror. I used the cardboard on the second mirror with much better results than to freehand it like I did on the first mirror.

The mounting instructions for the LED's tell you what size drill bit is required to insert the LED's. I had to drill larger holes. I do not honestly remember what drill bit I ended up using but will try to find out later. You can experiment by going up one size at a time from the instructions.

Your mirror should look like this after drilling the holes.

Now we are going to install all of the LED's.

This is done by first inserting the black LED holder with the LED already inserted into the holder.

Still not done. Please do not post questions yet!!

·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: DIY LED Side Mirror Turn Signals PT III !!

Now we have to wire up the whole mess. This is very easy. First, bend the wires over at the base of the LED's as pictured. Then connect all of the red wires together and then the black wires. If you look closely, I connected the wire that connects to the arrow that sticks on the reflective mirror at the same time. (This is the thicker black wire. It contains both a red and black wire inside the thicker black wire cover.) I connected all of the wires to a piece of the wire that I cut off of one of the LEDs that was about 12 inches long. This master wire lead will be fished through the mirror housing to connect to the truck so make sure that you connect this extra wire lead. I made my wire lead about 12 inches long. Here is a picture of all of the wires connected. I suggest that you solder all of the wires together so that they will not come loose or break from slamming the door. You could most likely get away with taping them together but I wouldn't try it.

Tape all of the wires down inside of the mirror housing. The picture below was taken with the mirror housing upside down. The wires should be taped to the inside top edge as shown. This will minimalize the amount of moisture that the wires are exposed to. DO NOT TRY TO TAPE THEM IN ANY OTHER WAY AS DOING THIS WILL INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THE POWER MIRRORS. I would suggest only using duct tape as duct tape will stay on through car washes and heat. Electrical tape or other plastic tapes will not.

The red and black wires on the left side of the picture are the wire lead that I soldered to the 4 sets of leads from the individual LED's and the LED arrow that goes on the reflective part of the mirror.

Fish the wire lead for the LED's back through the mirror and the mirror elbow along with the OEM wiring harness. Reassemble the mirror by reversing the steps I described to dissasemble the mirror. Don't forget to reattach the wire leads to the reflective part of the mirror if you have heated mirrors.

DO NOT STICK THE ARROWS ON THE REFLECTIVE MIRROR YET. WAIT UNTIL YOU MOUNT IT TO THE TRUCK AS YOU WILL NOT GET THEM STRAIGHT.

After you have reassembled the mirror, you should have the OEM harness and the wire lead sticking out of the end of the mirror and the LED arrow should be dangling. Make sure that you don't leave it behind the reflective mirror.

Remount the mirror to the truck by doing the following. First run the wire lead for the LEDs and the OEM wiring harness through the hole in the door. Use the top 10 mm bolt first and reattach the mirror to the door. Put it in hand tight so that you can proplerly align the bottom 2 bolts. Carefully reinsert the bottom 2 bolts and hand tighten. Then tighten all 3 bolts with the wrench and the socket. These bolts should be torqued to about 20-30 ft-lbs. Don't torque them using your hurculean strength as you will strip out the mounts.

Now reattach the OEM wiring harness. Now you should have the wire lead from the LEDs dangling.

Take your wire coat hanger and straighten it out and put a hook on the end of it or use your fish tape and run a wire up to the front turn signal. This can be done by pushing the coat hanger between the fender and the foam block as shown in the picture below. Run the coat hanger or fish tape from the inside of the fender from inside the engine compartment to the inside of the door. This is much easier than it sounds. This wire fishing can be done from the inside of the door to the inside of the fender as well. Take special note that the wire fish I used was right above the top door hinge. This is the easiest place to get the fish tape/coat hanger through the fender. There was almost zero resistance to get it through.

One more post and I should be done!!

·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: DIY LED Side Mirror Turn Signals PT IV !!

Connnect half of the 16/18 gauge speaker wire to the fish tape and pull it though the fender. This can be accomplished through the inside of the engine compartment. You now have to connect the speaker wire to the turn signal harness inside the front fender. Remove the edge of the wheel liner as you would to replace a burnt out turn signal. Drop the wire you fished down inside the fender. It should magically appear somewhere near the turn signal.

Now, use this wire to tap into the turn signal harness for the front turn signal. Please pay attention to which wire you connect to the positive and which one you connect to the negative wire of the turn signal harness. The negative wire that you will have to tap into is the black wire in the middle and the positive wire is the (TBA) wire. Most speaker wires have either different colored leads on the jacket or a stripe. Pay attention to continuity as reversing the wires may burn out the LED's. You do not have to worry about blowing a fuse by using the OEM harness as LED's pull very little electricity. Either use electrical tape or wire taps to connect the speaker wire to the turn signal harness. I used taps and then used electrical tape over the taps to make sure the wires never come loose. If you can solder these connections, more power to you. I'm not that flexible so I couldn't accomplish soldering these wires.

The bulb that you will have to pull out is pictured below. You will have to cut the black electrical tape back about 3 inches to have enough room to tap into the wiring harness. Make sure that you reinstall the turn signal bulb into the housing before putting the fender liner back in place.

Now, all you have left is to take the slack out of the wire you fished through the fender and attach it to the wire lead from the LED's from the door. Make sure that you leave about 6 inches of extra slack inside of the fender so that you can replace the turn signal bulb if you have to in the future.

I did not try to fish this wire lead through the OEM door harness as I found it unnecessary. Some will want to do this as it would double the time it takes to complete this project. I ran the wire from inside the fender under the part of the weather stripping for the door and under the door panel and up to the part of the door where the triangular little inside door sail mounts. I then soldered the red wire of the wire lead to the positive side of the speaker wire and the black to the negative and covered both leads with electrical tape. This connection should be attached so that it goes inside of the door. I left about 3 inches of slack between the weather stipping and the fender to allow the door to open and shut.
Reattach the triangular inside door sail.

Peel the tape from the dangling arrow and attach it to the reflective part of the mirror. I used a small level to make sure that I got the arrow level the first time. Once you stick the arrow on the glass, it's stuck.

Lastly, open beer and drink beer. You worked hard and you deserve it. Test your new turn signals by turning on the turn signals. It should look like this if you connected all of the wires correctly.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/HondaRidgeline/Turn Signals/?action=view&current=100_0045.flv

I have had my LED turn signals hooked up since January and have not had any problems with how I ran the wiring and have not blown any fuses. They work today as they did when I installed them which is flawlessly.

I am all done. Thanks for your interest and good luck!! :)

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Very slick, and nicely done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Chris, you are great! Thanks.

You are also too humble. You forgot to mention your other mirror mod that everyone should do while they are in there. Your very helpful water in the mirrors mod.

I was going to suggest people look for it themselves then I thought I might as well find the link and that is when I realized you are the master of all mirror mods! You should put a link to this mod into your original post so people doing the blinkers can do this one while they are in there.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Chris, is it possible for you to take a picture of an open front door where the wire comes out and enters the front fender? This is the only part of your install I didn't quite understand. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
any pictures with these bad boys in action?
I saved this thread also, awhile back. Last post was 2.5 years ago, so you brought it back from the dead.

Maybe Chris can give us a update? Wonder if it is still working great 2.5 years later?

·
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saved this thread also, awhile back. Last post was 2.5 years ago, so you brought it back from the dead.

Maybe Chris can give us a update? Wonder if it is still working great 2.5 years later?
They still work like the day I installed them. The little red arrows on the mirrors themselves have faded a little but they are very easy to replace.

Here is your video. There is another link upthread with a longer video.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/HondaRidgeline/Turn Signals/?action=view&current=100_0044.flv

·
Registered
25 Posts

Now, use this wire to tap into the turn signal harness for the front turn signal. Please pay attention to which wire you connect to the positive and which one you connect to the negative wire of the turn signal harness. The negative wire that you will have to tap into is the black wire in the middle and the positive wire is the (TBA) wire. Most speaker wires have either different colored leads on the jacket or a stripe. Pay attention to continuity as reversing the wires may burn out the LED's. You do not have to worry about blowing a fuse by using the OEM harness as LED's pull very little electricity. Either use electrical tape or wire taps to connect the speaker wire to the turn signal harness. I used taps and then used electrical tape over the taps to make sure the wires never come loose. If you can solder these connections, more power to you. I'm not that flexible so I couldn't accomplish soldering these wires.
What color is the hot wire for the turn signals?

·
Registered
5 Posts

There are 3 wires. Middle black wire is your ground. Then, there are the 2 outside wires that are kind of pink in color, one with a black stripe and one with a blue stripe. I hooked mine up to the wire with the blue stripe and it worked. Did not attempt to connect to the other one. I just did the mod with the exact same LED's as ChrisM; however, I chose to place them more to the outside rear of the mirror instead of the rear. They look nice and bright when staring directly at them, but look a bit dim if you are looking at them at an angle. Because of this, I purchased 2 more sets and I will be installing 3 on the rear as well to get the full effect from all angles. Most of the mod is straight forward; however, tapping into the blinker wires through the wheel well is a pain in the a**.

·
Registered
5 Posts

What color is the hot wire for the turn signals?
There are 3 wires. Middle black wire is your ground. Then, there are the 2 outside wires that are kind of pink in color, one with a black stripe and one with a blue stripe. I hooked mine up to the wire with the blue stripe and it worked. Did not attempt to connect to the other one. That said, the lights do not flash when I activate my alarm; however, my blinker does so it may have something to do with the other wire.
I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL with Navi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts