Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new here, but I sure could use some helpful advice. I changed my timing belt myself on my 2006 Ridgeline which uses the J35A9 engine. Near the end of the process I was tired and it was late at night and I made a mistake: I forgot to engage the tensioner on the belt before starting the engine.

The timing belt has skipped/jumped. I've now reset the timing to line up the marks on the crankshaft and two camshafts and engaged the tensioner so the belt is tight and won't skip. I've cranked the engine manually clockwise two times and verified the marks are still in alignment.

The engine now will not start. I've measured the compression thinking it I've done some damage to the engine and most likely bent one or more valves.

Cylinder PSI
1 130
2 145
3 135
4 125
5 65
6 115

So, it looks like cylinder 5 now has bent valve(s) and cylinders 4 and 6 look only slightly lower than the rest. It seems all affected cylinders are on the front head.

Based on what I've read in other posts, I believe I may be able to remove the front head and take it to a machine shop and ask them to fix the damaged valves/guides. Is this the best next step?

Since this happened I have bought a service manual and have the info on how to remove replace the head. I've not done this before though. I could also just have the truck towed to shop to have them fixed my botched job.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Be good to know compression before..put a little oil in low cylinder and see if it improves. It should still start i would think

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Make sure you're not "out" 180 degrees. Your timing marks on the heads need to line up at the same time as your mark on the crank pulley (check the manual). I would be concerned that you are not firing at all (which I presume it is not, if it won't start). Indicates something more than a bent valve. Are you sure you hooked everything back up? Plugs, etc.?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts