Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my brother put 20s with some Toyo offroad tires (305/55-20s) on his Titan the steering wheels wobbled after going over 50mph or so. Another friend put some 20 inch wheels plus 275/55-20 tires on his 2005 Ford F-150 and he is experiences the same thing. He even took the tires to his Dad's commercial garage and re-balanced them with the same results. He claims that eveyone he knows that have put 20 inch wheels on their trucks experienced this phenomenon as well. Will those with actual experience with 20 inch wheels/tires on the RL share their experience with the affects of the wheels/tires change? By the way, both the Titan and F-150 had the overall diameter of the tires increase over one inch, so that may be the reason for the wobbling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my truck last weekend and it has 20's on it, it shakes pretty bad I got it balanced and that did not work then I got it road force balanced and that did not work either does anyone have a solution, please let me know it is driving me crazy :mad:

thanks

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
weeeza said:
I just got my truck last weekend and it has 20's on it, it shakes pretty bad I got it balanced and that did not work then I got it road force balanced and that did not work either does anyone have a solution, please let me know it is driving me crazy :mad:

thanks
You bought used? How did that work out? Sounds like ipossible ncorrect bolt circle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will you guys please post the size tires you have? Maybe the diameter is the culprit more than anything else. I am considering 265/50 - 20s. That will give me about an inch taller and wider. Doesn't seem like enough to cause to problems.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you put on any aftermarket wheel and have vibrations, you need to buy hub centric rings. Even though you just got the wheels balanced. Most wheel shops carry them or can get them for you. They are made of high impact plastic. Most wheel manufacturers make wheels so they fit the majority of hubs. Because of this, there is a gap between the hub of your car and the centre opening of the wheel. The hub centric ring assures that the wheel is perfectly centred to the hub of your vehicle.

On most cars, the vibrations happen at around 90 to 100 kph (~60 mph), then goes away.

On 4-bolt wheels, it is imperitive you have hub centric rings installed.

If your dealer says there is no need for them, then they either don't know much about rims or can't get the right ones in and are giving you the run around. The thing that worries me is that the hub on the Ridge may not be your usual run of the mill size. There may not be a ring that will fit the hub.

BTW, most stock rims are made for the vehicle, so there is no need for a hub centric ring........ in case some of you are curious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a package setup from tire rack....no wobble or vibration at all. The wheels came with hubcentric rings to match the Honda hub center.

ASA AR1's with YOK 275/45R20

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Stone said:
I bought a package setup from tire rack....no wobble or vibration at all. The wheels came with hubcentric rings to match the Honda hub center.

ASA AR1's with YOK 275/45R20
Hi Stone,

Can you post any photos of your setup? Great choice by the way. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Sorry missed your link at the bottom. Man, sucks getting old! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the reply I will ask for those hub centric rings hopefully I will find them at discount tire since this is where I had them balanced I will let you know if that works out

in reply to buying used, yes I bought the one that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago, its a black one with navi and loaded with almost every accessoriy I wanted including 20's, I think I saved a bit by doing that

thanks

sam

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you mean the one from Hendrick's Honda in Hickory, North Carolina?

In regards to the hub-centric spacers, it is ESSENTIAL that you have those, otherwise the rims WILL wobble, no matter how tightly you have the lugnuts tightened. If you bought it from a Honda dealership this way, REQUIRE that they resolve the issue at no charge to you. Otherwise, call American Honda directly, they wouldn't be too happy to hear a story like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes it was the one from hendrick motor company in NC

regarding the hub centric rings, do you order those through honda or a tire place like discount tire ot tire rack :confused:

thanks

sam

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just an update: My friend with the F-150 tried the hubcentric rings. He also re-balanced the tires and now the wobble is gone. He said the tire balance was barely off so he doesn't know if the fix was because of the rings, re-balance or the combination of the two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts