Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find them locally. Most stores don't even have the Ridgeline in their system. The closest dealer is 30 miles away so I'd like to avoid the trip if I can. Also, I got a Bosch filter to go with my Mobile 1 5w20. Are those any good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You might call Jiffy Lube or Oil Can Henry's they usually have them as well. You could probably order them from collegehillshonda.com as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No you don't really need to. I've reused them for years when I felt too poor (lazy) to go get a replacement. The only real harm would be a very slow drip. Most folks over torque them so the real compression effect is most likely lost. I've never had a reused one leak but it seems like the only real hazard.

The bad thing is depending upon how anal you are. You could very well end up doing a complete change again to fix the leak. I'm so bad I once got out of bed at 2:00 in the morning to trace an oil leak on a range rover. That vehicle left our stable within a couple of weeks! :)

I did buy a washer for my first and hopefully only removal of my ridgeline's drain plug. I use a top drainer that sucks the oil through the dipstick. Griot's Garage sells two types one pneumonic and the other a T-shapes plunger that you manually pump like a bike pump. Works very well on the wife’s Lexus, and my NSX. The first time I use it on a car, I pull the plug to make sure all oil is out. I'll try to post pics when I do my first ridgeline oil change.

I've only run into a couple of cars that had strange dipstick routing paths e.g. my 2000 M5.

Cal

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Some people don't even use the washer. It is only used really as a caution and is not needed unless the pan leaks. Any washer will do if it fits. Best thing however, is to do it once at the first oil change and replace the bolt with a Fumoto drain. That will prevent you from ever changing it a second time (again, as long as there is no leak). The Fumoto will also make your oil changes (and taking samples) a snap.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Most stores don't even have the Ridgeline in their system.
The drain plug washer is the same one as for the Odyessy, Pilot or Acura MDX. It's probably the same one for all current Honda engines.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Webwader said:
The drain plug washer is the same one as for the Odyessy, Pilot or Acura MDX. It's probably the same one for all current Honda engines.
When I changed the oil on our '01 Accord, the washer looked identical to the Ridgeline's.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
shortspark said:
Some people don't even use the washer. It is only used really as a caution and is not needed unless the pan leaks. Any washer will do if it fits. Best thing however, is to do it once at the first oil change and replace the bolt with a Fumoto drain. That will prevent you from ever changing it a second time (again, as long as there is no leak). The Fumoto will also make your oil changes (and taking samples) a snap.
Hi shortspark, Do you have photos of the Fumoto drain?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive done many oil changes on my accord and acura tl, never once used a new washer. I think like cal says the risk of over tightning or the crush is why honda wants to change the washer because of the aluminium oil pan. Just put a small dab of silicone and tighten until its snug. I also put one of these rare earth magnets on the drain plug and the oil filter .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
JOZ RIDG said:
Try here: http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Also someone has posted some good tips on how to best install it on the Ridgeline.

Joe
Do you think there is a chance that moderate off-roading or running over road debris could catch on the release lever and drain the oil out of the engine?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
5S Dude said:
Do you think there is a chance that moderate off-roading or running over road debris could catch on the release lever and drain the oil out of the engine?
Yes, re-read my post above. I edited it with a thread with more info on drain valves.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
JOZ RIDG said:
Yes, re-read my post above. I edited it with a thread with more info on drain valves.

Joe
Thanks JOZ, I think we will just stick to the OEM plug. Less chance of "Dumb-Luck" having any affect on dumping oil before it's time.:D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Most of us will just be taking the truck in for simple oil changes, but it would be interesting to see if the Honda shop actually replaces the washer or just puts the old one back on again. I guess this would be one indication of the type of shop you are dealing with if you have no history with them before. I have gone to Jiffy Lubes in the past for my older, out of warrenty vehicles and I can never remember them worrying about putting a new washer on any plug, on any vehicle. I usually stand around and watch to make sure they dont forget to tighten anything up before they pull the vehicle out. That is always a possibility with the quick lube places.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My experience on quick change oil lube shops over the years with my 87 and 89 accords has been if they leave the washer off they leak.

They also do not torque the pan nuts back on and often strip them.
:eek:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The oil on my wife's Pilot has been changed exclusively by the dealer since new. The drain bolt head is almost stripped, and the crush washer is dimpled from overtightening. I changed the oil last weekend myself and will be doing it for her from now on. I'll have to order a new drain bolt and washer.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I bought three filters from a Honda dealer. Each came with a new washer scotch taped to the filter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I stopped by the dealer today and picked up 4 washers for $1.15. Now, I just need to take the time to change the oil and rotate the tires.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Steveberger, that scotch taped washer to your filter is what I would be looking for in a dealer who cares about their customers.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
BillB said:
Steveberger, that scotch taped washer to your filter is what I would be looking for in a dealer who cares about their customers.
Agreed. I'm very happy with my dealer. I had "the leak" and they were all over it. Loaner, new carpet, follow-ups, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts