Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone it's been a while since I was on this page, my 2009 Ridgeline has been a champ.

After buying in 2014 and moving it cross province I have only needed to do some basic maintenance aside from an injector sensor.

Now that I've put 200, 000km on her (338,000km total) I started hearing a pretty loud ticking sound in what appears to be the engine. Sound gets quieter when I accelerate but it definitely noticeable.

I don't recall any of the repair history and I've called my Honda dealership to see if they have a way of getting the history from AB. But we'll see if that works...

As side from that, I'm wondering,

What should I check?
What should be done, prevention measures?
If I do buy another ones, do I go Second Gen or stick with first? (pre 2016?)

Thank you all in advance and I will be more involved moving forward since I love this truck and just convinced 2 others to buy. I didn't know how wonderful it has been not paying for repairs untill the ticking sound came.

Any help would be appreciated,

That Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Never? Unless prior to me getting it?

How big of a job is that? Do I have to go all the way in to do that?

I just came from a (general) mechanic who took off the belt and made sure it was coming from the inside. (I was pretty confident it was). Then suggested a thicker oil incase it was bearing issues 5w30. Made the ticking a little deeper sounding I think but that's it.
Basically said its internal and I need a new engine since the job of any valve replacement or cam work would not be worth the cost as this is 335+km

When's the last time the valves were inspected/adjusted?

They should be inspected/adjusted when code 4 appears on the Maintenance Minder or if they are noisy.
Also, no codes popping up... Unless maintenance codes are different? If so how do I find them?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,469 Posts
@ 335km or 208k miles, unless rust has taken over I'd just do the valve job and go from there. It would be much easier to know more about the vehicle

only your budget and your preference will guide if you want an '06-'14 G1 or a '17-'21 G2

Reactions: scarface

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ 335km or 208k miles, unless rust has taken over I'd just do the valve job and go from there. It would be much easier to know more about the vehicle

only your budget and your preference will guide if you want an '06-'14 G1 or a '17-'21 G2
There is very little rust on the body. Almost none on the frame.
Like valve replacement? Or adjust as zroger77 suggest?

What else would be helpful to say about the vehicle? I'm an open book, I just don't know what is relevant.

·
Registered
189 Posts
In my opinion, you should try to fix it. I am sure you enjoy not having a truck payment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just amazed you bought a 2009 Ridgeline in 2004. What lotto numbers should I pick??
I got supper lucky. Hitchhiked across the rockies TWICE to get that deal.

In my opinion, you should try to fix it. I am sure you enjoy not having a truck payment.
I've never had a payment before, this was the most expensive thing I've ever bought in my life.

Anyone know a reliable inexpensive mechanic in BC they would recommend? I looked up the codes and maintenance minder information and I think I missed some stuff.

Search SMOD, or "strawberry milkshake of death" if you have an earlier model and haven't replaced your radiator.
Holy smoking 🐮!? What in the world 😮 is this!?

Plan for today,

1.Go take pictures of the Rad, find part number /see if it was changed before I got it.
1(a).if not, try and find one online for cheep. Spectra I'm seeing from the thread is most desired? (or did I miss something?

2.Find out how to adjust the valves. Or someone in BC who can do it for a reasonable price. (recommendations welcome)

3.Call the original dealer since the previous owner said they took it to them religiously up till I bought it and get a service record report (if they will give it)

4. (make this no. 1 & 4) Praise this forum and those who answered - 🙏🙌 This has been such an awesome experience, I thank you all 🙏👍

5&6 - side bar, when looking for odd parts (drivers side mirror, grill, gas cap (gas cap sensor always tripping) is there a buy sell portion on this page or recommendations?

I'm just amazed you bought a 2009 Ridgeline in 2004. What lotto numbers should I pick??
Omg 😂🤣😬 I meant 2014 I bought it hahaha my bad. Not a time traveler, just a dummy. (or is that just the type of thing a time traveler would tell you?)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,469 Posts
Reactions: that604guy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts