Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of large trees down on the property and a couple of medium sized ones I need to drop. This means I'll need to split the wood for the fire pit. My truck doesn't have a tow hitch. I don't ever plan on hauling trailers or campers just the occasional wood splitter or chipper and possibly a cement mixer next spring. Should I bite the bullet and get the OEM hitch with the harness? I'm thinking an aftermarket hitch only will be fine. Or have they changed the laws so that if the hitch is installed it has to have brake like connections?

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Check NC laws, but different states have different requirements. I believe "Honda" suggests either 1000 or 1500 pounds with out a 7 pin connector/brake controller. You can always get an aftermarket Hitch, and get an OEM Wiring Harness later. But if your renting the chipper or wood splitter or cement mixer, they may have additional requirements.

I remember when I lived in UT if the Tow vehicle lights could be seen over or around the item being towed, you didn't even need a 4 pin connection, just reflectors.

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked. Under 4,000 lbs. only reflectors are required. If the load doesn't obscure the towing vehicle tail lights, turn signals are not required. Safety chains are required on everything but 5th wheels with locks.

So it looks like I'm good for my needs. I'll get some quotes.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Just keep in mind that it's not the "taking off from the stop sign" that's the problem "its the rolling thru the Stop sign" without significant brakes. The Ridgeline doesn't have the best brakes, I'd keep the load below 1500 lbs. without a brake controller. Personally I wouldn't even enjoy being close to the 1500 lbs.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
If you decide to add the harness, make sure to get the OEM harness. But any hitch will do. I put a Curt on mine, but used the OEM harness with an angle bracket for the electrics to mount to.

· Registered
130 Posts
I got mine on Amazon. . Though it says PRO SERIES TRAILER HITCH #51139 (Reese?) They actually sent me the Draw Tite 75280 along with the harness.. Looks like they have since raised the price by about $20.

If you just want the hitch alone. That can be seen here.

Regarding the installation watch out for that center bracket that makes you think the side bolts/brackets are not aligned properly. See my installation notes.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
I would strongly recommend against using that 3rd party harness. For the RL, go with the OEM harness. You'll be glad you did.

· Registered
44 Posts
Got this from 4wheelonline.
Below are the specs by the way.
Manufacturer: Curt Manufacturing
Part Number: 13385
Rating: Class III
Receiver Size: 2"

Maximum Weight Carrying Capacity:
Gross Trailer Weight: 5000 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 500 lbs.

Maximum Weight Distribution Capacity
(Additional Weight Distribution Hitch System Required):
Gross Trailer Weight: 6000 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 600 lbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.