Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went, I saw, and I was conquered! No buyer's remorse after one day!!!!!!!!

Now, I asked the salesman and the service guy whether I need to do anything special during a break-in period. Both said "No break-in needed."

But I don't know. Do all you wizards have any advice here?

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
I follow a basic process that boils down to this: try to avoid panic stops (but don't we always anyway?). I change the oil at about 1500 miles and then again whenever it says to, 5000 miles, or whatever. This initial part of the engine's life, it is more prone to metal shavings and detritus in the oil. Despite what some people say, I think the highway is good for car break in. The key to it is to vary your engine speed and not let it drone on and on for minutes or tens of minutes at the same rpm. Don't use cruise control during your break in period (which I would say you should be about 4000 to 5000 miles). I also tend to avoid long stints on the highway for the first 500 miles or so. As best you can: avoid frequent short runs. Finally I can't cure myself of warming up my vehicles for a few minutes in the deep of winter. They tell us this is no longer needed, but to start your car at 0° and just peel off down the road right away is asking for engine trouble down the line.

· Registered
153 Posts
Combination of manufacturers recommendations and my own would prescribe the following.

Frequently varied throttle positions (all under maybe 80%) with only moderate to light loads for the first 250 miles.

250-500 start allowing heavier (quicker) acceleration loads. Mix in some minimal full throttle operation.

5 and beyond,,, Hamer down!

· Registered
2,264 Posts
they also say to have a few 3/4 throttle starts to about 60mph then let off and coast.
Edit, yep, what qtech said.
but believe it or not, the best thing you can do for your STEREO is to break in the speakers also! Yep, even though they are electrical, they require break in. low volumes for a while and for all the details try google. It pays off in the end.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts
How about following Honda's instructions which are clearly written in the owner's manual rather than relying on incompetent dealers or the assortment opinions forum members.

Break-in procedures for virtually every vehicle on the road have been the same for decades now and are generally as follows for the first few hundred miles:

Avoid full-throttle starts
Avoid hard breaking
Minimize constant vehicle/engine speeds
Don't tow

Also, don't change the engine oil the first time until the Maintenance Minder tell you to.

· Premium Member
87 Posts
How about following Honda's instructions which are clearly written in the owner's manual rather than relying on incompetent dealers or the assortment opinions forum members.

Break-in procedures for virtually every vehicle on the road have been the same for decades now and are generally as follows for the first few hundred miles:

Avoid full-throttle starts
Avoid hard breaking
Minimize constant vehicle/engine speeds
Don't tow

Also, don't change the engine oil the first time until the Maintenance Minder tell you to.
I'd love to follow the owner's manual, but I see nothing in the printed book; nothing glared out obvious to me in the index or the table of contents about a break in period. I admit I haven't read every page looking for nuggets here and there. Will have to check the dvd later.

You'd think they'd include a "Quick Start" or other important info of what to do when you first get your vehicle. The only restriction I've found so far is what you posted on another thread - no towing a trailer before 600 miles on page 104 - kinda buried in my opinion (should have at least been the first sentence under the "towing" section).

Edit:
Just busted out the CD and the only reference when searching for "Break in" is the aforementioned towing (page 404 of CD).

Edit 2:
Just searched for "600" since that's the break in period seems to be. Found this on pg 424 on cd (then searched paper copy and found on pg 94):
"During the first 600 miles (1000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or power train.

Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced"

· Administrator
24,909 Posts
I'd love to follow the owner's manual, but I see nothing in the printed book; nothing glared out obvious to me in the index or the table of contents about a break in period. I admit I haven't read every page looking for nuggets here and there. Will have to check the dvd later.

You'd think they'd include a "Quick Start" or other important info of what to do when you first get your vehicle. The only restriction I've found so far is what you posted on another thread - no towing a trailer before 600 miles on page 104 - kinda buried in my opinion (should have at least been the first sentence under the "towing" section).
From page 404 of the owner's manual:

"Break-in Period
Avoid towing a trailer during your vehicle’s first 600
miles (1,000 km)."

From page 424 of the owner's manual:

"During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation,
avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so
as not to damage the engine or powertrain.

Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km).
You should also follow this when the brake pads are
replaced."

Having said that, I'd be willing to be that many vehicles experience "sudden acceleration, full throttle operation, and hard braking" at the factory, in between transport modes, by dealer employees, and by customers taking them on test drives. Most still last hundreds of thousands of miles following such "abuse". I don't think I've exceeded 1/2 throttle on my 2017 yet - even with ECON mode on the whole 700 miles so far.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Vary Rpm's constantly, don't use the cruise control at all. Slightly accelerate/decelerate. Never stay at the same speed for very long but you can do this easily with a 5mph swing.
Avoid full throttle until 1k.
Heat cycle the engine as many times as you can. That means driving for 30 minutes or less, then let the engine cool down completely before driving again.
I do do some hard, panic stops, to bed the brakes. Any time you drive this could be necessary so might as well find a place you can do this.

Honda does use break in oil so I wouldn't change it at 1k like I do with other mfr's. But I also wouldn't wait until the minder goes off. At least change the filter between now and then and top off the oil.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
I always put a ton of miles on my cars, my last one 128,000 the one before that 210000 plus
anyway the only 'breaking in' I do is not beat on it for the first 1000 miles and by that i mean exceeding 85 for any length of time.
I drive over 120 miles a day, mostly highway and I only ever own one vehicle at a time, so yea, within a day or two of owning I will drive for over an hour, 60 miles at 70 plus mph - never had an issue.
I do recommend using mobile one and be religious about oil changes.

· Registered
83 Posts
Vary Rpm's constantly, don't use the cruise control at all. Slightly accelerate/decelerate. Never stay at the same speed for very long but you can do this easily with a 5mph swing.
Avoid full throttle until 1k.
Heat cycle the engine as many times as you can. That means driving for 30 minutes or less, then let the engine cool down completely before driving again.
I do do some hard, panic stops, to bed the brakes. Any time you drive this could be necessary so might as well find a place you can do this.

Honda does use break in oil so I wouldn't change it at 1k like I do with other mfr's. But I also wouldn't wait until the minder goes off. At least change the filter between now and then and top off the oil.
Kevmelbel has a couple of threads about how he took his brand new G2 from Utah to Nebraska towing a 5000 trailer. Seems to have been fine for him. Hopefully no long term impacts from that.

I'm picking up a G2 on Saturday and heading out on a road trip the next day. Mostly through the mountains so speeds and RPMs will vary a lot. I expect this should be fine for break in. But I won't be stopping every 30 minutes to let the engine cool.

Will probably change the oil soon after I return. Round trip will be about 2000 miles.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Kevmelbel has a couple of threads about how he took his brand new G2 from Utah to Nebraska towing a 5000 trailer. Seems to have been fine for him. Hopefully no long term impacts from that.

I'm picking up a G2 on Saturday and heading out on a road trip the next day. Mostly through the mountains so speeds and RPMs will vary a lot. I expect this should be fine for break in. But I won't be stopping every 30 minutes to let the engine cool.

Will probably change the oil soon after I return. Round trip will be about 2000 miles.
Everyone is free to do how they wish with their property. I was only contributing to the thread. I've studied this subject extensively over the past 25 years, talked to many mechanics of cars and motorcycles. Seen engines split open, worked with race mechanics. A lot of knowledge gained. The best thing you can do is vary the Rpm's and takes t easy on the engine the first 1000 miles. You do that you'll be just fine.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts
All my previous Hondas stated the following in the owner's manuals:

"Break-in Period
Help assure your vehicle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 km). During this period:
Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km).
Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time.
Do not tow a trailer.
You should also follow these recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine, or when the brakes are replaced."

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Honda does NOT use break in oil. The oil is heavy with moly due to the assembly process. Leave the oil in it until the MM says to change it.

Reactions: HondaEmployee

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Honda does NOT use break in oil. The oil is heavy with moly due to the assembly process. Leave the oil in it until the MM says to change it.
So would you rather we call it something else? It's break-in oil. It's referred to as such because they don't use heavy moly post, only at break in. You are getting twisted up with semantics.

And you can quote the manual all you want, I'm not leaving oil on a new engine in there for 5000, 8000 miles and such. It's going much sooner along with the filter, same goes for the factory gear oil. I'll have Amsoil in it much sooner and lab reports performed at every oil change with factual data instead of manual quoting (liability laden) and hyperbole. That maintenance minder will never tell you what oil analyzation will.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
It is NOT break-in oil. Why would you insist on calling it something that it's not?

Honda uses conventional oil as factory fill. The only reason it's heavy in moly is due to the assembly process. To call it special break-in oil is inaccurate.

You can change your oil every 100 miles if you want to. It's your vehicle. Believe the mfg or not. That's up to you.

I agree that a UOA is more accurate than the MM. That being said, the MM seems to do a fine job for most owners. I'm pretty anal about my maintenance, but I have not yet seen the value in knowing the UOA for extended ownership purposes. With nearly 500k miles between 4 vehicles and being diligent about maintenance, I've had pretty good luck operating in ignorance of UOA data. ;)

That's not a knock on UOA at all. I simply haven't seen the benefit in using that service in my normal operating environment.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.