Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,307 Posts
I just read the Autoblog report on quality rankings and although Honda was at mid-pack, the Tesla was dead last in quality. Complaints focused mainly on their touch screen. I sure hope quality control at Spacex is better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just read the Autoblog report on quality rankings and although Honda was at mid-pack, the Tesla was dead last in quality. Complaints focused mainly on their touch screen. I sure hope quality control at Spacex is better.
JD Power is a joke. Automakers have to pay them to do a survey. I guess Tesla did not pay their protection money survey fee. No way Dodge is number one on quality. In 15 years lets who has the most cars on the road / in the junk yard.

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Automakers have to pay them to do a survey. I guess Tesla did not pay their protection money survey fee. No way Dodge is number one on quality. In 15 years lets who has the most cars on the road / in the junk yard.
J.D. Power does not conduct research on behalf of the automakers. They gather and analyze data and offer it for sale to the automakers and other interested parties who can use it internally or for advertising. J.D. Power has no financial interest in favoring one automaker over another.

The latest survey that placed Dodge at the top of initial quality shouldn't be a surprise considering Dodge's lineup is currently among the oldest in the industry so they've had plenty of time to fix problems. The Charger and Durango are 9 years old. The Challenger and Journey are 12 years old. The Caravan is 13 years old. The Caravan and Journey are no longer sold in 13 states because their engines don't meet emissions standards. Stepping into a Dodge dealer is like digging up a decade-old time capsule.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
560 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone in Canada who hasn’t been able to get satisfactory results from Honda ever taken their issues to www.camvap.ca ( The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) and if so how did you find the arbitration process?

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
J.D. Power does not conduct research on behalf of the automakers. They gather and analyze data and offer it for sale to the automakers and other interested parties who can use it internally or for advertising. J.D. Power has no financial interest in favoring one automaker over another.

The latest survey that placed Dodge at the top of initial quality shouldn't be a surprise considering Dodge's lineup is currently among the oldest in the industry so they've had plenty of time to fix problems. The Charger and Durango are 9 years old. The Challenger and Journey are 12 years old. The Caravan is 13 years old. The Caravan and Journey are no longer sold in 13 states because their engines don't meet emissions standards. Stepping into a Dodge dealer is like digging up a decade-old time capsule.
I believe the Charger / Challenger / Durango platform evolved from the 300, which has its roots in a Mercedes Benz platform from back in the days of when Daimler-Benz owned Chrysler.

That platform has aged very well. We have a couple Durangos at work, and they haven't been bad at all.

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
These older DaimlerChrysler platforms (thanks to Mercedes-Benz) may be better than what FCA could come up with today. Perhaps that's why the Charger and Challenger are frozen in time. ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
These older DaimlerChrysler platforms (thanks to Mercedes-Benz) may be better than what FCA could come up with today. Perhaps that's why the Charger and Challenger are frozen in time. ;)

To be honest, I like the challenger and charger (post refresh) better than when they were first released. Crazy how the current gen Durango has been around long enough for the Explorer to completely change platforms twice (RWD to FWD back to RWD again)

SiL bought a 2013 Durango new and other than a few weird issues with uconnect and a cantankerous 3rd brake light it has been just as reliable as my wife's RAV4

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I’ve had two Ram trucks in the last six years, and not one problem. FCA’s UConnect is far superior to my 2020 Ridgeline........I am now in a Ridgeline since I found it to be a solution for going from 2 vehicles to 1. It makes for a great all around daily, but Honda......please get it together in the electronics department.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What display issues does the Ridgeline have?

Honda gets hammered in reviews for its info display. I've personally owned 4-5 Hondas/Acuras now with this newer version of touch screen and I love it, but Im a tech guy and know how to use it.

My mother in-law is 75 and she still drives an 80's Toyota Camery and will not get something newer even though she has lots and lots of money. Why? because she cant deal with newer cars that use computers and things like touch screens (she doesn't even have a computer or internet). I was early in tech for my age, when I was using my c64 to browse online forums in the 80's and 90's I was a 1% in tech (told ya nerds would take over the world). Now, just about everyone does this. But most of my friends (~50 years old) can still barely use a modern touch phone. Im still having to do basic maint on their win10 PC's and set up their home wifi.

My opinion is that the Honda touchscreens are absolutist awesome... they get hammered because there are a lot of people out there who dont have things like PDA phones because they are to complicated. Honda's info system is just too complicated for a lot of people.... worse as they get older. I dropped my kids right into a new 2017 civic (EX) with Honda infotainment and they picked it up in seconds.

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
I read the article, it was talking about Tesla’s display problems.
One of the problems older Tesla's are having is that the memory chip is getting full and crashing, causing users to loose function of the screen, climate controls, etc. Not a good situation. Tesla will upgrade the chip for around $2,000 or give you a chip and a new screen for $2,500. Those figures are approximations.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I believe the Charger / Challenger / Durango platform evolved from the 300, which has its roots in a Mercedes Benz platform from back in the days of when Daimler-Benz owned Chrysler.

That platform has aged very well. We have a couple Durangos at work, and they haven't been bad at all.
Yes, I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (hemi v8) that was developed with the Benz ML350 (I believe), and I thought it was a heck of a machine, mainly in terms of capability/driving experience, but the U-Connect was workable. If the air suspension hadn't had to have been replaced twice (once warranty, once like 3-4 thousand of my dollars) I might've held onto it longer, or bought another.

Off topic a little, but while researching a replacement (and wanting to add 3rd row seat) I mentioned the Durango as a potential replacement, but my wife said "that's ugly and boring", lol, and compared to our Jeep, she wasn't wrong.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Honda gets hammered in reviews for its info display. I've personally owned 4-5 Hondas/Acuras now with this newer version of touch screen and I love it, but Im a tech guy and know how to use it.
My mother in-law is 75 and she still drives an 80's Toyota Camery and will not get something newer even though she has lots and lots of money. Why? because she cant deal with newer cars that use computers and things like touch screens (she doesn't even have a computer or internet). I was early in tech for my age, when I was using my c64 to browse online forums in the 80's and 90's I was a 1% in tech (told ya nerds would take over the world). Now, just about everyone does this. But most of my friends (~50 years old) can still barely use a modern touch phone. Im still having to do basic maint on their win10 PC's and set up their home wifi.
My opinion is that the Honda touchscreens are absolutist awesome... they get hammered because there are a lot of people out there who dont have things like PDA phones because they are to complicated. Honda's info system is just too complicated for a lot of people.... worse as they get older. I dropped my kids right into a new 2017 civic (EX) with Honda infotainment and they picked it up in seconds.
Honda gets hammered because their displays are finicky and prone to doing things like random disappearance of information from the screen, slow response to input etc. I'm sure some people lack tech expertise, but a system that complicates matters is little to no help. I own 5 Macs, 2 tablets and a full on recording studio, so I'm familiar with tech. Coming from UConnect and Mini Cooper's system (BMW complicated but dependable) I find my 2020 Ridgeline comparable to a Windows machine vs. the Mac in my former vehicles. It's just not as intuitive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts