Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

The dealership keeps asking if I want an intake cleaning and/or a lower engine cleaning done on my 09 RTL.

Does anyone have this done? If not, or if so, what is your reasoning?

Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Guys,

The dealership keeps asking if I want an intake cleaning and/or a lower engine cleaning done on my 09 RTL.

Does anyone have this done? If not, or if so, what is your reasoning?

Thanks! :smile:
No.

Pure Profit enhancement for dealer, wallet emptier for you. I do run a bottle of Seafoam through a tank of gas approximately every 10,000 miles, but I can't show you anything that proves it is useful. Just my "seat of the pants" feeling that it helps. No scientific backup. Also, Modern gasoline has additives to help minimize the type of deposits they claim to be "cleaning".

I suppose if the dealer could show me where in the factory service documentation it says this should be done, and they are using a machine or a chemical that has "Honda" written on it, I would reconsider my position.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think that service comes with a free vacuuming of your pockets &/or wallet. :grin:

I'm really curious as to how much they would take off your hands ($) to perform these services. Did they give you a quote?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I have used seafoam in my van's fuel tank and the intake cleaner you spray in the intake while it's running. Made a big different in my van. I has 240,000 miles on it and has some issue, but I was pleased.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The general concept of what they're trying to sell isn't automatically and inherently bad, it's just that they want WAY too much money for it. WAY too much.

If they showed me some serious deposit build-up in the intake tract or combustion chambers with a borescope on MY pickup's engine, then I'd probably reconsider. However, I'd _also_ know that something was seriously wrong with either my fueling and maintenance regime, or with the engine.

...or that I was driving a direct-injection engine, probably from VAG or Ford...

;-)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
I have used seafoam in my van's fuel tank and the intake cleaner you spray in the intake while it's running. Made a big different in my van. I has 240,000 miles on it and has some issue, but I was pleased.
Won't that kill all the mosquitos in a 5 mile radius? :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Direct injected engines really need the valves cleaned periodically (fuel induction service), but with port injected engines, the fuel cleans the back side of the valves.
Since the RL isn't direct injected, you don't need it.
Anyone adding cleaners to their fuel should also be concerned about 'over' doing it.
My sister burnt the injectors up on her new Iroc Z 6 months after buying it new. She added a bottle of cleaner with every fuel up.
My bother-in-law had to replace them out of pocket.

The RL however does benefit from throttle body and intake cleaning, but then I believe you or the shop needs to do the relearn procedure after cleaning and resetting.
This is usually on high milage vehicles though.
Might as well clean the sensors on the intake (MAP/MAF/IAC) with the proper cleaner also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Direct injected engines really need the valves cleaned periodically (fuel induction service), but with port injected engines, the fuel cleans the back side of the valves.
Since the RL isn't direct injected, you don't need it.
Exactly! Well said.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With the amount of scrubbing, cussing and solvent it took to clean my intake manifold, I can't imagine those kits could even scratch the surface...

That being said, we used to make a huge amount of money at gm doing the fuel injection services... well, the dealer made a bunch, $15 kit, $69.99 service, lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check engine light and atv light kept coming on. Shop said needed cleaning service and plugs. Plugs only had 60,000 miles on them. $700 later no better anything!! Took to Honda. Adjusted valves and all is good. Use sea foam and save your money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts