Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "07 RTL has 114,000 miles. I've done most of the usual maintenance such as all fluids, belts, timing belt, plugs, replace stereo at 50K, etc.

I found a few threads discussing the struts but without much info.

How do you know if it's time to replace them? I remember with shocks we used to push down on the fender and if the vehicle didn't return to stationary after one down and up motion, the shocks were no good.

Does this apply to struts? Mine goes up and down a few times.

Any reason this isn't a diy project? (with good spring holders). Also, any good aftermarket struts or are OEM good? If I'm gonna do this, I wouldn't want to miss the chance to upgrade.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You're on the money with most of your speculation, except that I wouldn't replace them unless they are not performing well. Do you like the way the truck is handling? Are you experiencing excessive roll in turns, or poor isolation over bumps?
If they are not leaking, and don't exhibit bad performance, I'd say you're fine until that time. It's not uncommon at all for struts to last much longer than your 114K miles.... but as always ymmv. I've got near 150K miles in mild weather area & am going strong with my factory struts.

FYI, it's not unusual for the introduction of mystery noises to instigate strut replacement, as much as anything else.

If you do it yourself, be sure to use a good spring compressor as you stated, and don't forget that you'll need to do an alignment after the fact.

If I were you, I would not do it at all, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yep, pretty much the same condemnation criteria. The basic difference(es) between a shock absorber and a strut are that the strut incorporates the spring perch(es) and hub attachment point into the assembly. It's still a shock absorber, though.

I've replaced struts on a few vehicles before. I don't relish the job, but a person who likes to or is handy at automotive work can certainly do the job, with appropriate tools.

As was said, you'll need an alignment after replacement, no matter who does the job.

I have typically preferred KYB shocks & struts. Not sure what the various names are that they use now, but GR2 and Gas-a-just (sp?) Used to be their 2 lines of shocks. For me, the GR2s were a touch too soft. Gas-a-just was what I liked. I did not care for the Monroe Sens-a-track struts I had on (only!) one vehicle at all. They felt just like the worn out struts I'd just taken off.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,602 Posts
From my experience with my Rl, tire wear will tell you it's time to change. No bouncing down the road, or over bumps but a "minute cupping" on the edges of all four tires. (Mind you, I religiously rotate my tires every 5,000 miles for free)

I changed mine out at 150,000 and should have done it earlier. One set of tires show the wear. Now 50,000 miles since all is good again.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
The fact the KYB seem to be the mfg for the stock Honda struts is good enough for me. I have never been that impressed with Monroe either.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,602 Posts
From my experience with my Rl, tire wear will tell you it's time to change. No bouncing down the road, or over bumps but a "minute cupping" on the edges of all four tires. (Mind you, I religiously rotate my tires every 5,000 miles for free)

I changed mine out at 150,000 and should have done it earlier. One set of tires show the wear. Now 50,000 miles since all is good again.
I forgot to make note but my KYB's are now lifetime replaced free of charge. I expect to have the second set replaced in about 50,000 more miles for free.

This company has replaced them for free in the past with vehicles I have owned. Free, ain't bad.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's really hard to tell if the ride is deteriorating since it happens slowly. I feel like potholes and bumps are less smooth over the last few months, but that could be the roads after a long winter. Maybe I should test drive a new Ridge to see what mine used to feel joke (although that could be dangerous).
The ride is certainly not to the point where someone would point it out if they were riding in my Ridge.
I forgot to check for leakage, so I'll do that. If the struts are not leaking, I think I'll leave well enough alone. I don't see all the enthusiastic threads about changing struts like I do for brakes, so I get the feeling it's not a particularly pleasant diy task.
Still, I'm game to do it if I need to. I appreciate the advice and the recommendations.
I don't rotate my tires as regularly as I should so wear may be a difficult way to monitor things.
@Hamhocs, I was just trying to be funny. At about 50K I was looking for something to do. The Ridge is so solid there was really nothing that needed repairs. My "07 had no ipod support so I'm really pleased with the new stereo and speakers.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
I did both my Civic & Del Sol between 120k & 125k. Both were replaced with Monroe. The only thing I'll say is they were cheap. IMO, both needed to be replaced again about 180k, and could have done them at 160k

If your going to do it, go OEM or better. The consensus is KYB is the supplier for Honda on the RL, put your labor to good use and use quality parts

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
It is encouraging that struts/shocks do last as long as they do. That was certainly not always the case.
I would not consider replacing them at 125K+ miles as anything but routine maintenance.
It should be an expected event not really a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts