Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Does 2021 Ridgeline have higher ground clearance?

14K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  hondopark 
#1 ·
I know on paper the ground clearances are stated basically the same but if you look at the new RL it appears to be higher. I know the suspension parts are the same which would make the ground clearance similar but it appears to me that the actual body is higher on the frame. That would make some of the other components higher off the ground would it not? Has anyone actually done a measurement to compare the two? Contemplating an upgrade from expiring 2019 lease to a 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The Ridgeline is unibody - there's no separate frame for the body to ride on. Even if there was and the body sat higher on the frame, the overall height would be greater for the 2021, which it is not.

Reactions: Hacksaw
#3 ·
I would suspect that's an artefact of the graphics boys getting an email to make the thing look more trucky without having to change any expensive parts.

When I get my 21 in a few months I will comment further if the chin spoiler clears stuff that my current truck grinds on.

#7 ·
  • Wow
Reactions: Razor
#8 ·
When the online parts suppliers start showing parts diagrams for the 21 Ridgeline then we can compare suspension components etc. My expectation is that there aren't any changes to the suspension etc that would result in a change of ground clearance. The increase in track is almost certainly a result of the change in wheel offset. I would speculate that any difference in the ground clearance spec is related to the front fascia changes.

#9 ·
Did anybody ever figure out if the Passport suspension components, if retrofitted to a Ridgeline, would increase ground clearance?

I know the increase would be minimal, compared to an aftermarket 1.5" lift, but it would play well with the rest of the suspension. I don't think anybody ever figured out exactly what Honda did to the Passport to gain the extra clearance. Did they alter the control arms at all, or was it just a factory spacer lift?

#10 · (Edited)
My suspicion is the 2021 lost that 0.23" of ground clearance to the center rerouted tubing for the fake dual exhaust. The front fascia on the 2017-2020 was not the lowest point but it did limit the approach angle. I doubt that the front fascia on the 2021 is lower than the 2020, but I can't confirm that. If I have my numbers right, the approach angle on the 2021 increased a tiny bit (20.4 degrees vs. 20.1) while the departure angle dropped from 22.1 degrees to 19.6, apparently due to the dual tailpipes hanging below the rear bumper.

There was a brief mention in one of the car mags that the Passport used slightly longer front struts than the Pilot or Ridgeline to gain a little ground clearance. The end links would have to be slightly modified to accommodate the longer struts but the control arms may not have required modification.

(editted with more info)

#11 ·
While I haven't put a tape measure and done any scientific studies, I can say for sure that my 2021 RTLE has a higher seat position than my 2019. And I don't mean that the seat is raised higher. The truck body is definitely higher up to me. Since it is on the same frame and is slightly heavier, that is likely why it has a slightly lower stated ground clearance in my opinion. I would like to get a tape measure side by side and measure specific components and similar points on both vehicles to prove my point but at this time, my reportings are not scientific.

#12 ·
If Honda's published specs are to be believed, vehicle height did not change for the 2021. I don't see how seat height can be higher unless the seat was actually raised, which doesn't seem likely. The ground clearance limitation on the 2017-2020 RL is measured below the engine where a structural support crosses in front of the oil drain, IIRC.

#13 ·
I am not questioning Hondas specs. I do believe that the body is slightly higher on the frame than my old 2019. I had a 2017 BE and 2019 RTLE and I know how high the seat and ride was. Definitely seems higher to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
That's why we always take the wife's Outback when we need the extra ground clearance, 8.7"

#17 ·
So when I traded my 2019 RTLE, I left the aftermarket black rims on it and kept the factory rims in my storage room at office. The dealer wanted the original rims so they could sell as certified pre-owned so I took the factory rims to them. They just called and have them switched out so I am going to go pickup the aftermarket black rims today. I am going to take a tape measure with me and get some NON scientific measurements to prove or disclaim my thoughts of the 2021 RTLE being higher in the air. I will report my findings to the group.

#18 ·
And the results are in......The 2019 was in the service department so it was difficult to get a lot of measurements but it was on flat ground. I took measurements at the top of the wheel wells, center of back bumper, inside front door jamb, and to the bottom of the door handle. Knowing the 'official' specs had the 2021 slightly lower most likely due to being slightly heavier than the 2019, I was SURE the 2021 was higher off the ground, and most everyone here said basically that I was crazy. Well everyone here was RIGHT. At each measuring point, the 2021 was 'roughly' 1/2" lower. I stand corrected but still say that the 2021 'feels' like I am higher off the ground when driving it. Only thing I can attribute that to is the new design of the front end and higher hood visibility on the 2021.

#19 ·
I stand corrected but still say that the 2021 'feels' like I am higher off the ground when driving it. Only thing I can attribute that to is the new design of the front end and higher hood visibility on the 2021.
@GreginJaxFL noticed the same thing when he went from a 2020 to a 2021.

This has come up before on this forum with the first generation. The consensus was the difference was due to compression of the seat foam over time. Your suspicious about the hood design could very well be a factor.

#25 ·
Okay, just my opinion here, and I do not mean it as criticism regarding what any of you desire. It seems like a lot off folks want the Ridgeline to be an off-road truck, with high ground clearance and rugged rock-climbing capabilities - nothing wrong with that. But if that's what you expected when you bought it, well, you quite simply bought the wrong truck. The Ridgeline is not an off-road truck - it is a suburban truck for doing the stuff most people really need. A truck for folks who don't need a big ridiculous truck to compensate for their manhood issues. You can raise it up, put on some massive "bull bar", or fit some massive off-road tires to it, but in the end it is still going to be a suburban hauler - basically an SUV that is actually usable as a truck, an SUV with a big-ass trunk. It is what it is, and what it does is better than any of the"off-road" trucks can do. Don't get sucked in on the whole "it ain't a real truck" crap - it does more than those alleged "real trucks" can do in the environment for which it is intended. Accept it for what it is, enjoy it for what it does better than those other trucks (ride, handling, AWD vs. crude 4WD, that in-bed trunk, superior fuel mileage) and enjoy it.

Reactions: Tmoo
#26 ·
Okay, just my opinion here, and I do not mean it as criticism regarding what any of you desire. It seems like a lot off folks want the Ridgeline to be an off-road truck, with high ground clearance and rugged rock-climbing capabilities
It's not that, it's just minor tweaks that competitors often offer would alleviate its shortcomings. An extra inch of ground clearance, tow hooks in the front, a fullsize spare, and optional skidplates are not huge asks but significant helps. And similar vehicles such as the Outback, RAV4, Passport, and other midsize pickups offer many of these features. Honda could even charge extra for an "offroad" package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.