Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the RTL-E comes with a tranny cooler. Part of the reason it can pull 5000LBS, besides being AWD. So does adding the AWD option to a lower trim level add the tranny cooler?

It might be on the window sticker.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,102 Posts
Any of the AWD versions can tow 5000# and any of the FWD are limited to 3500#, trim level doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
The way I read the spec sheets on automobiles.honda.com, it says the trans cooler is 'available' to the trim levels below RTL-E and BE and standard on the RTL-E and BE. Those are the only two levels with AWD as standard. The AWD comes standard with the tow package and the 2wd only comes pre-wired. I take that to mean that adding the AWD adds the tow package, and thus the trans cooler, which is why it can tow 1500 more pounds.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the wife's 16 MDX SH-AWD which can also tow up to 5000#s, the tranny cooler is separate supposedly. So are fog lights. I can't believe the 2nd from the top trim doesn't have fogs.

So I really need to know if its included with the AWD package which is only $1800 upgrade.

I like the RTL-E but that's $3640 more than an RTL-T AWD. So I really need to know all the differences and thats one that I can't confirm in the brochures etc. It may only be on the sticker.

·
Registered
257 Posts
6-Speed Automatic Transmission
All Ridgeline models feature a standard 6-speed automatic transmission that contributes to improved acceleration and fuel efficiency, and features reduced friction and improved lockup clutch performance. The 6-speed automatic offers excellent launch-feel, acceleration performance and fuel efficiency with an 20 percent wider gear ratio spread featuring a "lower" (numerically higher) first gear overall ratio, and a "higher" (numerically lower) top gear overall ratio than the 5-speed transmission it replaces in the last generation Ridgeline. To support the Ridgeline AWD's 5000 pound tow rating, a heavy duty transmission cooler is standard in all AWD models. The 6-speed transmission's straight-gate shifter is an intuitive and easy-to-use design that takes up little space in the center console.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just checked the sticker from my RTL-T and it says clearly under technical features "Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission Cooler" is included.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok......I’ll bump an old thread. Where is the “so called” G2 heavy duty tranny cooler located?What does it look like? Any pics of it? Anybody here monitoring tranny fluid temps?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
384 Posts
Ok......I’ll bump an old thread. Where is the “so called” G2 heavy duty tranny cooler located?What does it look like? Any pics of it? Anybody here monitoring tranny fluid temps?
It looks like a little radiator

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
384 Posts
Optional on all AWD trims below RTL-E. Standard on RTL-E and BE.
No its confusing the way they literature is worded, but it is AWD that is optional below RTL-E, but if you have the AWD option you have the transmission cooler. They go together.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,602 Posts
Do FWD G2 RLs have a tranny cooler inside the cold tank of the radiator?
Its not a cooler, it is actually a pre-warmer. Unlike the G1 with the pre-warmer on the bottom end tank of the radiator, none of the G2 have such built in. However, the prewarmer is a sandwich style heat exchanger located on the transmission housing. 25560-5B7-A01 is the part number, and yes the G1 FWD and AWD have them.

·
Administrator
14,602 Posts
Do FWD G2 RLs have a tranny cooler inside the cold tank of the radiator?
The heat exchanger (or warmer and cooler since it functions as both) is now external instead of in the radiator. From a cold start, the heat exchanger transfers heat from the engine coolant to the transmission fluid. If the transmission fluid becomes hotter than the engine coolant, then the heat exchanger transfers heat back to the engine coolant where is dissipated from the radiator.

AWD models also have an auxiliary cooler mounted in front of the radiator down low. You can see it through the lower grille opening.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the info.....much appreciated, lots to learn. Earlier this afternoon, I observed 193F coolant temp and 192F tranny fluid temp (Scangauge II) while sitting in a slow moving drive thru line, facing down wind, 84F ambient and efans roaring.

Can you tell me if this is where the factory HD tranny cooler ties in (below the battery)? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,602 Posts
The hose circled in green is indeed the hose that goes to the 'warmer' (as Honda calls it). It is one of the 4 hoses on the 'warmer', but not sure which one that is (probably the ATF line, from this angle). There are a pair of coolant and a pair of ATF lines going to that heat exchanger. FYI, google the part number I provided and you can see how it actually looks.

The ATF cooler is in front of the radiator and can be seen through the front grill on the AWD models.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This Pilot install on post#2 gives you some good info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts