Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not specifically be a question for this section but since I have a 2nd gen I would like to get your input.

I'm looking into tinting my front side windows to get as close (legally) to the backs as I can. I can go with standard tinting but that won't provide any heat reduction. I live in Austin TX so it a little hot here in the summer...well, more than just summer. If I wanted to truly get some protection from the heat I would have to go with ceramic tinting on all of the windows which would be too costly for me.

So I was wondering if ceramic coating on the glass does anything to reduce UV rays from entering the car. If it does then I could just get the fronts done in normal tint and DIY the ceramic glass coating and get some protection for a little less money.

What do you think?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Short answer: Yes. Ceramic coating will reduce UV rays from entering the car. But so will most quality window tint that can be had for 1/3rd the price of a full ceramic wrap. When it comes to heat transfer, UV is not your concern. IR is. Ceramic tint is the only film that is going to drastically cut out on infrared frequencies of light (upwards of 80-90% of felt heat).

Something to consider would be to do ceramic tint on your front windows and windshield, and then do a carbon film in the back windows. This wont be as ideal as ceramic all the way around but will give you fantastic results for less $$.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ceramic coat will wear out over time. A proper high quality ceramic tint will be the best cost effective option for what you want to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a ceramic tint installed on our 2016 Accord. I went as dark as possible in the rear, the legal limit on the driver/passenger window and what they call clear on the windscreen. It does a fantastic job cutting down on the amount of heat in the vehicle and blocks the UV from getting in and causing wear on the interior. You can be in direct sunlight through the window and not get hot. The RL will be going in for a full treatment after the first of the year when I have some time off.

As far as tinting your front window, you notice the tint for a few days as it drys out but once dry, there is no distortion or way to tell that you have a tint on. The other thing you will need to do is invest in a good tint safe window cleaner such as Stoner Invisible Glass. Cleans great with a micro fiber towel and will not turn the tint purple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't even waste your time with it. I had my windshield tinted with 3m Crystalline, 90% (virtually no reduced visibility). Made an incredible difference in the amount of heat buildup in the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What kind of pricing (very general ballpark) does it take to do this to all windows on a Ridgeline? I am not familiar with this at all and wondering if I should even look into it. Blazing hot cars suck. I didn’t even know there was an option to cut that down.

Of course it will vary by location, but are we closer to $10, $100, $1,000, or $10,000?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had another car tinted with not 3m, but FormulaOne Pinnaclet. They charged me 300 bucks for that. I think for a pickup, it'd be maybe 400 dollars, not overly expensive. Add another 100 if you want the windshield done.

Unfortunately now that I live in NH, I can't tint my front windows, and no point in tinting over my rears since it doesn't get that hot here.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Ceramic is the best. It rejects UV's better than regular old metallic tint. It's worth the money. Additionally, you can put no tint or clear ceramic film on the windshield (interior portion) to keep UV's minimal through the windshield. Ironically this is usually $100 for the windshield alone. Ceramic tint can be $500 for your other windows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two years ago I had all my windows retinted. Light tint on the front, dark on the rest. Cost was $50 for each side window, $60 for back window. I opted not to tint sunroof ($60) which was a mistake.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most of these quotes seem unrealistically low to me ( I sold window tint in Texas for 5 years ). I would have quoted (Suntek Ceramic): $200-$220 for windshield. $400 for the rest of the vehicle. Many tint shops will charge a little extra for the 3 piece rear glass and the front side triangle glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts