Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
No. ECON mode has no direct effect whatsoever on VCM operation. The engine will operate on three cylinders under light loads at steady speeds whether ECON mode is on or off.
Does VCM turn-on if one of the AWD modes (snow, mud, sand) is selected?

·
Registered
466 Posts
It hasn't really been practical for me to truly test this but . . .My overall MPG experience with my GenIs seems to be a bit counter intuitive. Best MPG is acheived, not with a soft foot but rather quickly reaching an efficient traveling speed. The theory goes that babying the throttle only keeps the Ridge in its less efficient state longer; it actually uses less gas to quickly get it to cruising speed.

Of course if you are expecting to have to come to a stop for traffic or at the next traffic light in a few moments then above doesn't hold true.
And you basically described what I've been theorizing ever since I bought a 2013 Accord with a CVT. I never did end up testing it, but seeing that MPG meter always get you thinking about it

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Maybe good on a highway, but urban driving I leave it off as pedal delay is dangerous
Obviously a different sense in perception here, the pedal is less "jumpy" in ECO mode, true, but we have not experience anything that can be described as a delay? Also, if the pedal is depressed smartly the vehicle reacts smartly and instantly.

Bill

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,924 Posts
Does VCM turn-on if one of the AWD modes (snow, mud, sand) is selected?
No, they have no direct bearing on VCM operation.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
We are not sure yet whether Econ mode actually saves us on fuel or not..................................
Bill
I am thinking that after putting a few more miles on our Ridgeline we can confidently say that when driving hilly/mountainous highways that ECON mode does little to nothing in saving us fuel. In fact it has become obvious when pulling our trailer that our Ridgeline does better when not in ECON mode. We do not do much city driving with the Ridgeline so we cannot comment on that aspect.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
It was reported by tests in the 1st year of production of the Ridgeline that econ did basically nothing. It's just a "Greenies" button.

Steve

·
Registered
872 Posts
We do 99.9% slow, stop-n-go, in-town driving......tried ECON Mode for one tank of gas.......it‘s as worthless as the hockey puck is.😱🤭

·
Registered
872 Posts
Try it for a tank.......lets us know your real world results. I would gladly trade the ECON button for the safety nannies our ‘17 CRV had.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Please note, I am making reference to the ECON button as being used in hilly and mountainous terrain, how effective it may be over a long distance and relatively flat terrain may be a different story?

Safety nannies? Our current 2017 RTL Ridgeline may very well be the last new vehicle that we will ever purchase new.

Bill

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
On my truck for regular in town driving I see 13L/100km with the Eco on. With it off I see about 9L/100 so not a small change.

This is a hilly small town with lots of twisting roads and steep climbs.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I find that when I use an "economy" mode or have a trip computer displayed, I tend to drive more economically to see how high I can get the fuel economy. When I chose a "sport" mode, I tend to drive aggressively which, of course, lowers fuel economy. It's very psychological.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Safety nannies? Loved ‘em on the ‘17 CRV......miss them on our ‘17 Rigi. You would think Ridgeline and CRV were different subsidiaries of Honda.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I agree that the button has a psychological effect at best. Furthermore, I'll suggest that for most people, their driving style trumps the ECON button. If you are an active semi-aggressive driver, turning on ECON mode won't get you more mpgs. You're just going to push the gas pedal harder to get the engine response you desire. If you are a more passive, patient driver, you are probably already easy on the gas pedal and using ECON mode won't change your mpgs to any noticeable degree.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I do find that on those days I am feeling laxidaizy driving about town, I prefer the softer touch of the accelerator when it ECON button is engaged, but this has absolutely nothing with the fuel economy.

Bill

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I, too, found value in turning ECON on to make "limo starts" easier. I didn't like the reduction in A/C compressor run-time, though, which results in a decrease in cooling and dehumidification.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
24 Posts
To my knowledge Honda does not make any specific milage improvement claims for ECO mode. If there was at least ten percent improvement it would be part of their advertising.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
54 Posts
I agree that the button has a psychological effect at best. Furthermore, I'll suggest that for most people, their driving style trumps the ECON button. If you are an active semi-aggressive driver, turning on ECON mode won't get you more mpgs. You're just going to push the gas pedal harder to get the engine response you desire. If you are a more passive, patient driver, you are probably already easy on the gas pedal and using ECON mode won't change your mpgs to any noticeable degree.
X2 on the driving style comments. When my company began using the Smith System for all our drivers (company cars, refrigerated straight trucks, and tractor trailers) we saw an increase in fuel mileage and a decrease in repair costs. People tended to be easier on the equipment. Most will say they carry it over onto their personal vehicles, too. Sorta like an Econ mode of driving without the button.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts