Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a teenage driver and 4 cars, I took a peek at the insurance renewal premiums today and noticed that our 15 CRV Touring was no less to insure than my 14 Accord V6. FWIW, my Ridgeline RTS was the lowest by far even though it received the fewest discounts. I called the insurance company and they had no clue about sensing and said that as long as they have the vin# the safety features are being accounted for. I don't know if the person on the other end of the phone was clueless or the industry hasn't accounted for this yet until they see a statistical relation to sensing and claims. I know a year or 2 back I read an article in Businessweek how the industry was fearful that Sensing technology would result in decreased revenue and they were looking for ways to make up for this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Seems like rates are mostly figured from nationwide accident statistics, by model. As I understand it (which is very little..), each vehicle gets a rating number, based on historic accident data, and probably some other indicators. I believe the higher the number, the higher the "risk" of the vehicle to insure & repair.

I think there are also some basic discounts for things like ABS, air bags, etc.. things that have been around for years on just about every vehicle. I don't know if discounts are given for specific features of a model, such as the Honda sensing. I tend to think not. But over time, those may influence the national crash data, and indirectly affect the rating of the vehicle.

Just my $.02. Maybe someone here is in the auto insurance biz, and can provide better clarity.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I went from a 2012 CRV to my 2017 RTL-T. My insurance went up 96 dollars a year. it has a lot to do with the safety features.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It's all going to depend on your insurance company. Mine gives a discount specifically for the sensing safety features and having an alarm system. I'm also in a jurisdiction that doesn't allow for aged based rates. My rate for $200 deductible, $5M liability and full replacement cost was $1152, minus a 28% discount, or $829.44 for the year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My insurance is high side, due to the RL being registered in one of my businesses.

One interesting part of that is that the RL has a "weighted truck" commercial license tag, like it was a concrete truck or construction vehicle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's all going to depend on your insurance company. Mine gives a discount specifically for the sensing safety features and having an alarm system. I'm also in a jurisdiction that doesn't allow for aged based rates. My rate for $200 deductible, $5M liability and full replacement cost was $1152, minus a 28% discount, or $829.44 for the year.
Does your cost there include basic plating from SGI? Just quickly looked at their basic calculator and shows $1431 per year at 0% discount.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My insurance is high side, due to the RL being registered in one of my businesses.

One interesting part of that is that the RL has a "weighted truck" commercial license tag, like it was a concrete truck or construction vehicle.
I guess when registered to a business that automatically gets the commercial license plate. Back in the day here in NY when I had a regular cab (no rear seats) Ford Ranger, you automatically got a commercial tag. I thought no problem but I quickly learned that commercial vehicles are not allowed on the parkways in NY. Upon entering a parkway you would see a sign stating "Passenger Vehicles Only." This proved problematic over the years because Westchester and Long Island are filled with parkways. If you are in the land of interstates, not a big deal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My insurance when up for my RL. The agent said that is was cause the value of the RL was much higher than my old car, which was a 05 Odyssey. Sensing might help a bit on the premiums, but its still a 41K truck. Any truck of that price is going to be expensive to insure. The RTL-e's are not cheap trucks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was actually kind of surprised when we added the RL to our insurance, which breaks down the cost per car. I was expecting it to cost more than my 93 SC300, but nope, it's 120 less per year! So that was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Coming from a 2008 Honda Ridgeline to the 2017 BE.. yes all the safety features got me a slight discount.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My insurance when up for my RL. The agent said that is was cause the value of the RL was much higher than my old car, which was a 05 Odyssey. Sensing might help a bit on the premiums, but its still a 41K truck. Any truck of that price is going to be expensive to insure. The RTL-e's are not cheap trucks.
I don't think anyone is saying your insurance won't go up if you traded an older car or one that was less expensive. It is just considering how expensive these trucks are the insurance is really cheap.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying your insurance won't go up if you traded an older car or one that was less expensive. It is just considering how expensive these trucks are the insurance is really cheap.
That's the weird thing, had I gotten rid of my 24 year old car worth less than 2k as per KBB, my insurance would be 120 less per year with the RL. The brand new RTL is more than 10% less to insure and is worth more than an order of magnitude more.

But I'm sure the overall risk/cost to the insurance company of an 05 Odyssey is less than that of the RL, thus the premium increase, versus the of risk/cost of an old unsafe 2 door RWD sports coupe known for being drifted by kids and smashed on tracks, thus explaining a premium decrease.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's great the the RL is cheap to insure. The point I am trying to make is that if you look at premiums for an E and a BE versus the other trims, I don't think that most insurance companies factor in the Sensing tech they just see a RL with ABS and nothing past that. It works the other way too, I don't think that the insurance company charges a higher premium for my V6 Accord over a 4 CYL Accord.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's great the the RL is cheap to insure. The point I am trying to make is that if you look at premiums for an E and a BE versus the other trims, I don't think that most insurance companies factor in the Sensing tech they just see a RL with ABS and nothing past that. It works the other way too, I don't think that the insurance company charges a higher premium for my V6 Accord over a 4 CYL Accord.
Nope, when I added my RL he went down the list of every potential safety item. Then asked me how I liked it. :) I have never heard of an insurance company not asking what safety features your vehicle has.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's the weird thing, had I gotten rid of my 24 year old car worth less than 2k as per KBB, my insurance would be 120 less per year with the RL. The brand new RTL is more than 10% less to insure and is worth more than an order of magnitude more.

But I'm sure the overall risk/cost to the insurance company of an 05 Odyssey is less than that of the RL, thus the premium increase, versus the of risk/cost of an old unsafe 2 door RWD sports coupe known for being drifted by kids and smashed on tracks, thus explaining a premium decrease.
I would say my RL was valued 4 times what my CRV was, 8 dollars! I think I will grow old, okay older, shocked. I have never had that happen.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts
There was another thread about insurance several months back. I use Amica. My insurance went up $200+ over the Tacoma it replaced that was a couple of years old. I asked Amica to explain why that was the case. They said that the biggest factor was that the purchase price was $5K higher. Sure, the safety features factored in. But with a completely redesigned vehicle that has no real connection to the previous generation from a design perspective, they don't have a lot of historical information to go on. I think each insurance company has its own formula for this and that's the secret sauce of the insurance industry. The Ridgeline does not seem cheap to me to insure; it doesn't seem expensive either. I believe that some of what goes into the pricing has to do with local regulations. Also, I'm insured well over the minimum standard in my state because I don't want to take the risk of liability vulnerability. I guess what I'm saying is: there are a ton of variables to this question.

Reactions: silkiechicken

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, when I added my RL he went down the list of every potential safety item. Then asked me how I liked it. :) I have never heard of an insurance company not asking what safety features your vehicle has.
Did they break it down by line item? Alarm gets x discount, Abs gets y discount, daytime running lights get Z discount. Oops, never mind you don't have a BE or an E.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think each insurance company has its own formula for this and that's the secret sauce of the insurance industry.... I believe that some of what goes into the pricing has to do with local regulations....I guess what I'm saying is: there are a ton of variables to this question.
I think that about sums it all right up! It's like asking across the Entirety of North America "How much does a rambler cost?". Tons of factors come into play.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts