Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Does Honda Underrate the 3.5L v6's HP?

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  flyboy76 
#1 ·
0-60 of 6.6 secs and 1/4 trap speed of 93 mph.is really on point for a 4300 lb vehicle with only 262tq. Is this engine closer to 3-310hp? I realize Honda has a stiff final drive ratio, but it is quicker than the colorado which weighs the same and has more hp. And the RL seems to be pulling down much higher mpgs than the GM trucks. More efficient transmission? Aero? Still doesn't explain the noticeably quicker 0-60 time.

#4 ·
My 2008 Ridgeline has 245HP, I just test drove a 2017 with the 280HP, I personally didn't notice that much difference in power. All that being said, I was more interested in all the electronic features and how well I liked the overall vehicle over my 2008. I can tell you, my wife's new 2016 Acura RDX, same engine 285HP will blow the Ridgeline away, it does get up and run.

trainman

#6 ·
It's all got to do with the efficiency of getting the power to the ground. The RL has an efficient AWD system putting power to all four wheels off the line. It's tuned to make use of the torque at lower RPM's, too. Whereas the Canyorado does have more HP, it's torque numbers are similar to the RL's. Plus, being that the driveline loss is likely quite a bit more (and even worse when 4WD is engaged), the thing wouldn't get off the line very quickly. Simply comparing power to weight ratios doesn't give you an accurate picture of what actually happens in real life. If you were to put both trucks on a dyno, I would bet the RL makes and equal amount of hp and maybe 10-15 more tq to the wheels than the GM twins. HP gets you moving faster after you're already moving. Torque gets you off the line. Coupled with better traction and a better transmission = death to Canyorado in the 1/4 mile.

Reactions: imaguestuser2
#8 ·
I test drove both the I4 Diesel (first) and the V6 Colorado... didn't notice a difference in get-up-and-go between the two, and definitely less than the 2017 RL. I was quite disappointed in the V6 Colorado in that respect.

#9 ·
I doubt that 10/15 HP would be much of a factor. Performance in this case is most likely other factors...final drive ratio, as mentioned is huge in the 1/4 mile.
It's best in one category at least. Can't climb rocks. I'm waiting to see snow performance.

#11 ·
Can't climb rocks. I'm waiting to see snow performance.
Wasn't built for that. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the winter traction. As long as your tires are good, the RL is a mountain goat. Mine has always been phenomenal in the snow. With a better rear diff and more intuitive real AWD, I have no doubt the Gen2 is even better.

#14 ·
Yeah I guess that since the Honda is a Sohc and the canyonrado(I like that) are DOHC the twin's motor will breathe better on the top end but lose tq on the low end. Torque is the important thing. I have a lot experience with the 3.6l GM motors they are not torquey I think they peak at 5300 rpms or so. Not where you need it in a heavy vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.