Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Does Motor Trend Know what they are talking about?

11K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  silkiechicken 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Complaints: Although the bed compartment locks, the tailgate does not. The infotainment system features the same horrible Honda interface, and still no audio-volume knob. You cannot manually select gears in Drive. And its drab, retrograde design and similarities to its platform-sharing SUV meant we mistook it for our video crew’s Pilot on several occasions.
Agreed on the infotainment system. Volume knob is not an issue for me due to steering wheel controls. Styling is subjective - I happen to really like it.

When saying it was "basically a Pilot" though, they misses the pieces that are different. I remember seein a Honda video where a lot of the suspension pieces were redesigned specifically for the Ridgeline to be able to handle increased loads. Otherwise, might as well say the Pilot is basically an Odyssey or Accord.

I didn't see anything comparing it to the Taco. What did I miss?

Pete

#4 ·
#5 ·
They said the Ridgeline beat the Colorado in MPG and trounched the Tacoma. They said the Tacoma was quicker, but they didn't specify which Tacoma. Overall I thought it was a good article. I can't speak to their specific performance numbers, but their subjective opinions were pretty spot on I thought.

#7 · (Edited)
I would have thought the RL would have done better on the skidpad given its tech and suspension. We all know the RL is way overpriced (IMO by 3-4k) but that argument can made for midsize pickups in general. This is the argument that was around with the demise of the Ranger. You don't get that much better MPG's or enough of a decrease in price with a midsize truck. I've always thought the RL drives like the 08 Odyssey which I once owned which drove great. I've always said that if it did 0-60 in 6.5 (in other reviews) my Accord V6 was a dragster then.

As a buyer, I wanted a truck that would fit inside a garage with an 8ft wide opening, did not fishtail when accelerating on a turn and could hold 4 people comfortably. The RL was the only option. The problem is that you have to pay up to get this. Right now IMO the only values with Honda are with the big sellers like the Civic, Accord and CRV. As more competition enters the midsize market and if Honda decides to produce more RL's pricing should get better.

#10 ·
It is interesting that their test truck performed so much more poorly than C&D's tests (and it did sound like there was quite a bit of bias against it in the article). C&D pulled 0.80g on the skidpad on their tests.

M/T also mentioned the gear selector was PRND (no mention of D4, L or the different traction modes). I do agree with them that the RIDGELINE has grown too large, and their infotainment system is a bit embarrassing compared to some other trucks. Yes, a volume knob is NOT necessary, and may be totally useless for many people, but you do expect that kind of redundancy on a vehicle in this class - like it or not, it is a Honda fail.

As for pricing, it is overpriced on higher trims, but I think very competitive at the base trims when you compare vehicles of similar trim levels (you can tell folks are biased when they don't compare the same trim levels, e.g. 4wd/awd, four door, v6, etc.).

#12 ·
I don't think the RL is too large, but it is certainly the largest vehicle I've owned.

All Honda vehicles have grown over the years. My first car was a four door mint green (with avocado green interior) 1980 Honda Accord (quite used at the time). It was much smaller than even the civic today.

Not my pic, but same car and color:

2016 Honda Civic:

Pete

#13 ·
I've been researching the Ridgeline and Tacoma for some time now and this article seems a bit off.

For one thing they knock the Ridgeline for the high price... but the Tacoma Limited, which compares with the RTL-E (or even T) still tops out at just over 40K. And about the only thing you get with the Limited (aside from better off-road & towing performance) is a Qi charger. The RTL-E offers more in every other area for about 2K more. And, if you compare a TRD Sport to the RTL-T things even out from a price standpoint.

For example:

2017 TRD Sport DCSB - Auto/4x4/Premium Tech Pkg (no JBL) / Tow Pkg = $38655 MSRP
2017 RTL-T AWD = $38630 MSRP

The TRD Sport wins with: BSM, Sliding Rear Window (now powered), Qi Charging, Moonroof (and the option to go with JBL for more $)
The RTL-T wins with: Leather interior, Power Seats, LaneWatch, CARPLAY, Remote Start (and a host of other things)

I consider the RTL-T to be superior in all ways to the TRD Sport with the exception of off-road, towing and unfortunately, looks....for the same MSRP.

Additionally, EVERY review I've seen shows the RL to be quicker on the 0-60. The guys at TFLTruck even raced them and the RL beat the Tacoma by about a second. I know that this isn't scientific... but here's the link if you haven't seen it.

Also, as mentioned above. Every single automobile sold in the US has gotten (is that a word) bigger over the past 20 years. Why knock the RL for it.

#15 ·
Buy what you like and don't look back. The Honda clearly targets a different buyer than the Tacoma or the Colorado. For those considering an E or BE, take what it's missing in hauling and offroading and then add in heated seats, Carplay, adaptive cruise control, lane keep, autonomous braking, in-bed trunk, speakers in bed, electronic sliding read window, ride on rough pavement and a MUCH more usable cab and it's easy to justify for one who doesnt care as much about towing or offroading.

#16 ·
Interesting differences in 0-60 times by different folks - CR says 7.33 for the RL and 8.23 for the Taco. The difference between C&D and CR is could be at least partially due to road surface & maybe CR takes a bit of a real-world approach to their test versus outright fastest time possible. Of course my BE does it in 6.5. Doesn't everyone's? :wink:

#17 ·
It depends on the buyer. I want a vehicle that my wife will also want to drive. I want a Pilot, but we have only one kiddo, so with 3 in the family, the Pilot makes little sense. The bed that I can put lumber, plants, tools, bikes, skis into makes a crapload more sense for me than more carpeted and seated interior that I will never need. If it is a Pilot with a bed and stiffer suspension, well, that is what I actually want.

Reactions: stantaur
#19 ·
Motor Trend says RL 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, Taco in 7.1 so there are differences everywhere you look. But in the end, regardless of how fast it may be, the RL is an extremely comfortable and very versatile truck that I very much enjoy driving. Then when I feel the need for speed or to cruise on the back roads for a while I put the top down on my Miata. >:)

#24 ·
While the G1 is nice and I like the look of it the more I see it, I still like the look of the G2 better. This is their first take on the G2 so some issues/criticism can be expected. However, I have no regrets getting it and look forward to driving it every time.

#31 ·
Even C&D is a shadow of it's former self. Csaba Csere held it together pretty well after Davis left, but once he quit it's been all downhill. I miss the irreverence of the old days.

#28 ·
well I owned a 16 Tacoma sport 4x4 tech pkg with auto v6 dbl cab. Loved the truck killed my back and legs and sold it 2 months later. Ridgeline wasn't out. Then ordered a Colorado diesel 4x4 crew z71 and have had it since March and now at 23800 miles it has been good truck. Complaints is basically seats are hard and could be softer but for rides pretty good. Tacoma was little better handling and ride was about the same give or take. Test drove the new g2 black edition which I do not want but wanted to drive one with everything because I would want the e and there are none around here. I then test drove the t model 2 times after that and from my opinion having the other two and I took these for a least 20 minute test runs. The g2 is much smoother and faster in my opinion than both these others. Not even close on ride and comfort. I liked it so much I am going to trade my Colorado in first of next year. I had ordered a new E 2 weeks ago and dealer cannot get it still they have no allotment so I canceled today and got my deposit back and will just wait till they are available then go get one. They have a T but I really want an E. My wife does not like the looks of them and I don't think they look great but they are ok to me and the ride and comfort and handling for my uses is hands down the winner.

#38 ·
Ford HD got TOY.
MT editors just gushed over this pick.
Nothing innovative like our RLs just old school "grunt-n-go."
My Greensboro, NC dealer had four; one FWD Black RTL being filled with toys in the showroom, a silver Sport, a silver RTL T AWD, and a blue FWD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.