Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting at a red light when all of the sudden a 2004 accord coupe came flying toward me, flew over the median into my truck, door caved in, shattered glass all over me, the airbags did NOT deploy. The car was basically on top of my truck, it turned out to be a drunk driver. He wasn't hurt at all, but I have cuts from the glass and a concussion. My truck is a 2008 Honda Ridgeline with 111,000 miles. Does it look like it may be totaled? I think the body underneath might be okay. The engine bay is fine. The front bumper and left headlight were taken off to see the damage so those are both fine. I know it isn't really a great perspective but I'd really like to keep this truck, it's my first car and id hate to lose it. I think I took really good care of this thing and I'm pretty attached :p. In fact, I had just changed the fluids and waxed it 2 weeks earlier. Anyway I'd really like to get some insight, thanks. (Also I'm suing this guy up the ass ಠ_ಠ) :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow!! Second pic look BAD. But He hit you I would not accept a total. Hope he has Ins.
Demand OEM parts. Insurance company will try and write aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow!! Second pic look BAD. But He hit you I would not accept a total. Hope he has Ins.
Demand OEM parts. Insurance company will try and write aftermarket.

Yeah he has insurance (Liberty mutual), well atleast liability which is good for me, not so much for him

Another thing is it's not even his accord, I think it's his dad's or brothers or something....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing is thank god the airbags didn't go off, they are still those recalled ones that send shrapnel to your face O_O

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Oh, boy . Hope the owner Gave him permission to use car. I they didn't you might be in for a fight. Not sure what state you live in or the ins laws. Here in CT we have no fault. Which basically means if they don't have ins (even though it's the law to have it), yours pays and then your screwed .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already talked to liberty mutual, says he has to contact them to get his side of the story first. Kinda pissed me off since he was obviously at fault, I mean, I was stopped at a stoplight and I just hear some tires spinning, look over at the noise, and here comes this accord heading straight for my driver door, thank god for that median or I'm pretty sure I'd be dead. Anyway this guy hasn't yet proven to be drunk, but he was slurring his words and you could smell it on his breath, it was obvious. I just hope I can get my truck fixed or atleast get a big check if it's totaled

·
Registered
579 Posts
What's your truck's blue book value? I t-boned a dude who pulled out in front of me which pretty much collapsed the first couple of feet of the front end, but didn't harm the engine, save for the radiator. Did some damage on back through the doors, etc. Damage was almost $19K. My truck's value was a little OVER that. Airbags deployed. They did NOT total it. It was very close though. They found a couple of other things later that pushed it over the total #, but they didn't total it. I hope you get to keep your truck. Glad you are OK. Hope they bust the other guy. Make sure to document your injuries, doctor bills, lost work time, travel to and from doctors, all that. Because as dumb as it sounds a medical settlement is in order. If nothing else than just to get your out of pockets and mileage covered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's your truck's blue book value? I t-boned a dude who pulled out in front of me which pretty much collapsed the first couple of feet of the front end, but didn't harm the engine, save for the radiator. Did some damage on back through the doors, etc. Damage was almost $19K. My truck's value was a little OVER that. Airbags deployed. They did NOT total it. It was very close though. They found a couple of other things later that pushed it over the total #, but they didn't total it. I hope you get to keep your truck. Glad you are OK. Hope they bust the other guy. Make sure to document your injuries, doctor bills, lost work time, travel to and from doctors, all that. Because as dumb as it sounds a medical settlement is in order. If nothing else than just to get your out of pockets and mileage covered.
According to kbb.com in good condition the blue book value is $9000-$12000. Kinda pissed me off because I bought the thing a little over a year ago with 97000 miles for $15000. If anything it should increase in value because I took it to get some dents out that the previous owner put in it (got a little more than a few dents now) and touched up the paint and stuff. it's a 2008 rtl with navi and fog lights btw. And man, your 2010 was worth over 19k? Lol only 2 years newer. Anyway, Glad your truck was saved from the scrap heap, hopefully I can save mine too :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh whoops haha I assume it was over 19k a while ago back when it was newer XD

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Glad you are ok, hope you can get the desired result from the incident. But the most important thing is... you are ok.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't agree more, one of the firefighters told me if I had pulled up a few more feet, I'd probably be dead O_O..... I'm very lucky and thankful to have gotten out with minor injuries, could have been much worse......scary

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Firefighter also told me this is his first incident with the ridgeline, said he thought they were pretty cool, practical little trucks. I showed him the magic tailgate and the trunk, said "wow, nice place to put the body" XD

·
Registered
303 Posts
Firefighter also told me this is his first incident with the ridgeline, said he thought they were pretty cool, practical little trucks. I showed him the magic tailgate and the trunk, said "wow, nice place to put the body" XD[/QUOTE]

Or two if they're skinny.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Whether it is totaled or not will probably come down to dollars to fix versus dollar value of truck. The A pillar appears damaged and I think that, coupled with the front end, may push you over.

I feel for you. I was in an accident in 2009 that totaled my black 2008. I think KBB undervalues older RLs. I know if I found a 2008 that was in as good of shape as yours was, selling for $9,000-10,000, it would be a bargain. The all-wheel drive, the utility of the bed and trunk, safety design, built-to-last -- worth more than any other comparable vehicle out there.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I know this won't make you feel any better. And it really won't affect your outcome. Your description of the driver also sounds like a diabetic in what's called hyperglycemia (low blood sugar) which can come up on people. At that point they don't completely know what they are doing..

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
WOW, Glad you are OK!

I'm going to have to agree that damage to the a-pillar is probably going to lead the cost of repair exceeding the BlueBook value.

If the other driver was a diabetic or had other health issues, then I hope his insurance takes good care of you and that he gets the care he needs. If he was drunk, I hope his insurance takes good care of you and he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's totaled

Well..... looks like the truck is a total loss :( It's only half way through inspection and the damage is already over 10k. Life can be ****ty I guess... I maintained this thing perfectly.... oil change with synthetic every 3000 miles, had just changed the timing belt and oil pump a few months earlier, hell... the day of the wreck I had just received the 4 qts of Honda atf dw1 tranny fluid I was going to change when I got home....and bang.... all for nothing. Even though everybody called me "gay" for driving a "minivan Prius truck", I loved it. No, it wasn't exactly made for off-roading but it could get the job done. It isn't exactly the fastest, most powerful vehicle out there but it did what I needed it to do, and it was really good at it. This truck was alway, always, always kept clean on the inside, I vacuumed it out every week. This was my first car, I took my drivers test and drove for the first time alone in this truck. This truck was very much loved. Sometimes I'd just go out and drive it around thinking to myself.... "this is my truck, and it's amazing, this is.. my truck"..... I'm not exaggerating I really did that like last week. And believe it or not, after a big snow here I took it to a manual car wash at night in 20-30 degree weather just to clean all of the salt off of the frame and suspension parts, I actually did that too. I wanted to drive this truck through college and maybe after that. But it's gone.... Rest in peace ole ridgy.... let your spare parts help other ridgelines live on as the fantastic trucks they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear about that -- what a bummer.

I can empathize. We had a '95 Accord V6 with 49K miles on it. It was 9 years old but it was mint -- beautiful britsh racing green with beige interior. That 2.7L V6 was an awesome combo in the Accord.

Anyway, timing belt was supposed to be done at 95K miles OR 6 years. Based on the age, I went ahead and and had it replaced. I then had the vehicle professionally detailed, as this was my wife's car and she wanted to keep it another 10 years. Took care of a few other little things as well - to the tune of about $1K in total expenditures.

The very first day my wife drove it to work after all this attention we gave it, a guy rear-ended her with a pick-up truck. The Accord then caught on fire and burned up. Totaled. Gone. And of course, the insurance company does not care that you just invested all this money in the vehicle -- it makes no difference on the settlement. So trust me, you are not the only one who has been hosed like this. Misery loves company.

Looking on the bright side, why not take the settlement money and go find a 2009 or later Ridgeline? You may have to cough up some cash too, but at least you will end up with a newer vehicle and a little bit of an upgrade (more HP/torque, and other improvements from the "re-fresh")? And best of all you will be back in the vehicle that you really love!

Reactions: coolbob
1 - 20 of 59 Posts