Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably pretty dumb, but.......

Does the navi model RL play regular movie DVDs. I've never had one before and don't know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
No, it is actuall illegal in most states (perhaps all) to have a DVD display that a driver could see. Common sense does not always prevail and we need this type of law.

I've read that some people have modified it so that it can play DVDs. Do a search and you might find something about this on this forum. If not, I know it's been talked about on a less impressive forum.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You need to add a DVD player and "switch". Parts and labor are approx. $1,000.00

Quote by "Complex" (on this site):I got ine back today from http://www.besttire.com in Great Neck NY. I had them do following
Navi/DVD Player Conversion
Bullet back-up Camera installed below tailgate rear lock handle
Remote Start on OEM Key
Game/external audio and video input jack with AC Power inverter

They did a clean and flawless job. Backing up in pitch dark was a pleasure and well lit because of the quality camera and backup light illumination. So glad I didnt go for dealer install.
Took a 2 hour drive and my kids enjoyed Spiderman Movie on dash and the factory stereo & Subwoofer killed!
Total cost was under 1500 and well worth it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey NavBlue,

Got any pics of those installs? I've seen other post pics of their dealer installed cameras etc... However I think it would be interesting to see a third party install.

By the way, picking my RTL-Navi up tonight, WAHOOOOooooo.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Congrats Tux, how fun that you'll have it for the Holiday Weekend.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tux, I don't have any pictures. I am having a friend help install the Honda Camera. Also, I will hopefully have a toggle switch added (between the heated seat buttons) to bypass the "reverse feature" if desired. This will allow me to view the camera while in "Drive".

A "third party" suggested mounting a camera lens in the center of my license plate by cutting a hole in the plate. They also suggested mounting the camera directly on top of the trailer hitch receiver. I decided I would just keep my OEM camera and mount per Honda Instructions. No particular reason other than I may like the "camera view/angle" better.

For now, I decided against the DVD player. I figured I would probably have an accident :( looking at it while my wife watched a movie (Satellite TV is also available for about $2,000.00 :D ) They suggested installing the DVD where your "rubber coated ash tray" is in front of the center console.

You could search the forums as Truckin mentioned. "Search: Spiderman" and you will find the original post by "Complex". Maybe "Complex" could post pictures.

The people I talked to liked our Nav unit and were suprised by the way it "hides" the 6-in dash CD player. I also like the dash location of the Nav screen.

Enjoy the truck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
NavBlue,

No problem and understand the safety reasons for not doing the front dvd. I too was thinking about adding a 'bypass' for the camera. It could come in handy and seems like it should be easy to do. Let us know if you get the 'bypass' to work and any suggestions for the rest of us.

-Tux

1 - 7 of 7 Posts