Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various threads on the changes wrought in the 2020 model. I'm somewhat interested in trading up my 2018 RTL-E, with 40K on the clock, for a 2020 RTL-E. Mainly because I trade vehicles often (40K is an old vehicle for me) and I think it's a good time to trade. But I like my current Liner so much that I'm loathe to go elsewhere. I flirted with the idea of a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon because I need something truckish, but did not like it's road manners. And a Rubicon would be off-road overkill for me. And it's kinda ugly/handsome in a brutish way. And smaller inside. Anyway.

I drove a 2020 RTL-E today. The 9-speed feels much more seamless in operation that the 6 speed. Other changes seem pretty insignificant but I was struck by how much quieter the 2020 seems. My 2018 has always seemed to have a clunky sounding suspension on rough surfaces. I explore country roads a lot that frequently have washboard surfaces. I purposely drove some crappy city streets in the 2020 and then later drove them in my 2018 and there was a distinct difference. I have not seen any lists of changes for 2020 that identify additional sound dampening.

My imagination?

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s typical to see cost cutting in later model years or trading a less visible feature to add a more visible one without increasing cost, so I would more likely believe the 2020 has less sound deadening or the same. The chances they added some are pretty low.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Some of the off-gassing that produces "new car smell" also deadens your hearing so that you think the vehicle is quieter. 😁 But seriously, if Honda did add more sound-proofing to the 2020 RL, they would surely be bragging about it. We've seen no such claim in promotional materials for this year's model.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having one myself and driven a '19 as a test run, it hasn't changed in any sound dampening material that I know of; being a new vehicle, the bushings not worn or cracked and all parts freshly lubed, I'm sure it wasn't all your imagination but simply a new vehicle vs the one you own now, while a small portion is always seeing greener grass across the road. But I definitely love the ZF9 and only know that the truck is so quiet that I only notice the rear sliding window creaking over uneven surfaces - perfect ride in every other respect.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I second the tires comment. Suspension may also be tighter. Weather seals on doors and windows wear over time (dress them with Shin Etsu grease).

·
Administrator
14,911 Posts
Worn or different tires on the 2018.
Bingo.

Tires work-harden and get louder over time, but it's so gradual we don't notice it until we get new ones and instantly feel and hear the difference. It's kind of like looking at ourselves in the mirror every day and thinking we don't look much different than we did ten years ago...then we see a ten year-old photo of us. :)

When my 2019 RTL-E was 3,000 miles old, I installed new Black Edition wheels and tires and put the original wheels and tires aside. I put 14,000 miles on the Black Edition wheels and tires then reinstalled my original wheels and tires before heading to the dealer to trade it in. The immediate improvement in smoothness and quietness was unexpected - it felt brand new again.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
11 Posts
They changed the rear door checkers, I believe, so the rear doors open wider... You can get a kit and a UTube DIY video to make the change yourself on the 2107-2019s... The video makes it look pretty easy and the really discounted the price. Both R & L door checkers were total $26.26... that is everything shipped to me. Service was super fast and there is a video.. I would imagine getting a baby seat in the back would be tight...these OEM replacement door checkers from Honda open the door 5". I will probably install tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts