Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Android 11 update coming out soon. Will allow wireless connection for Android Auto to units with 5Ghz wifi.
I'm really hoping this is avail on the 17' Ridgeline RTL-E as Android Auto connection via USB cable disconnects at times when phone or cable gets jostled.

Thanks in advance to anyone with this info...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not gonna happen. Our trucks are all on Android 4.2 (at least my '18 RTL-E is). Highly doubt Honda is ever going to update the firmware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not gonna happen. Our trucks are all on Android 4.2 (at least my '18 RTL-E is). Highly doubt Honda is ever going to update the firmware.
I think it may just require Android 11 on the phone side. But you may be right (i hope not). 4.2 means its never going up to 11 on the unit itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from autoblog.com:
Once Android 11 rolls out, the list of phones that can use wireless Android Auto will grow considerably. Google has updated Android Auto’s FAQ page (as spotted by 9to5Google) to add that almost all devices installed with the upcoming mobile OS will get the capability to connect to compatible in-car entertainment systems without a wire.
The updated page also notes that your phone must support 5GHz WiFi for wireless connection to work. Most modern smartphones can already do that, so you won’t have an issue unless you have an older or a low-end to mid-range device, some of which can only connect to 2.4GHz WiFi. Take note, however, that the EU has additional regulatory requirements when it comes to using 5GHz WiFi in cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question answered on google's FAQ. We should be good to go once android 11 is rolled out to our phones. :)
Android Auto is compatible with the following Honda models.
  • Accord 2016-
  • Civic 2016-
  • Clarity Fuel Cell 2017-
  • CR-V 2017-
  • Fit 2018-
  • Freed 2017-
  • Odyssey 2018-
  • Pilot 2017-
  • Ridgeline 2017-

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
Question answered on google's FAQ. We should be good to go once android 11 is rolled out to our phones. :)
Android Auto is compatible with the following Honda models.
  • Accord 2016-
  • Civic 2016-
  • Clarity Fuel Cell 2017-
  • CR-V 2017-
  • Fit 2018-
  • Freed 2017-
  • Odyssey 2018-
  • Pilot 2017-
  • Ridgeline 2017-
That's a list of vehicles that support wired Android Audio.

"Few automakers offer wireless Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) compatibility, but it is rolling out to more cars for 2021. So far, some Hyundai and Kia models include the software (although it varies by screen size and model), and BMW and Ford have announced wireless compatibility for this year in some of their models."

Honda has made no announcements regarding plans for wireless Android Auto.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Check out AAWireless, there's a 200k Kickstarter that will supposedly allow a wireless adapter.

No idea if it'll work. Will be following closely.

·
Registered
17 Black Edition
1 Posts
By default android hotspot on your phone is set to 2.4GHz. I changed mine to 5GHz and tried searching for it with the infotainment system and could not find it so looks like it's only 2.4

My question is why not support 2.4 though? Honestly how much data could Android Auto possibly require? You only need 15Mbs to stream 4k, and the network is capable of significantly more than that.

AAWireless is an Indiegogo project. I would be more inclined to invest if it were Kickstarter. But even best case scenario, they won't drop till February next year, cost $55USD for a feature our unit should be capable of, and take 30-45 seconds to connect each time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts