Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 2019 RDX, when I pulled into the garage, for example, and stopped and the engine shut off due to idle stop, as soon as I shifted to park the engine would restart. I found this logic annoying and seemingly unnecessary.

For the 2019 Pilot and Passport, Honda advertised changes that allowed the engine to remain off.

"Additionally, when in idle stop, the engine remains off after shifting to Park for a more intuitive driving experience."

For those of you with 2020 and 2021 Ridgelines, does the engine remain off when in idle stop when shifting to park?

I was watching a training video on the ZF 9-speed transmission earlier and learned that the parking pawl is actuated via hydraulic pressure as opposed to an electric motor like other shift-by-wire transmissions such as Honda's own 10-speed automatic. I briefly thought that it might have been necessary to restart the engine so that the fluid pump in the transmission could supply the necessary hydraulic pressure to shift to park, but that doesn't explain why the 10-speed does/did it and I also remembered that the 9-speed in some Honda applications no longer does it.

What I don't understand is if the engine remains off during idle stop while shifting to park, how does the transmission shift to park? The training video states the ZF 9HP doesn't have any accumulators to store hydraulic pressure. Maybe it shifts to park during the idle stop procedure just before shutting the engine off?

·
Registered
297 Posts
No. Mine will start up a moment after shifting to P after stopping.

I think the ZF9 is all electrically controlled, not hydraulically controlled, thus it can shift into P or N in certain situations without the engine running and no torque/hydraulic input or power.

·
Administrator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "a moment", do you mean instantaneously or after some day. If after some delay, how long?

I assumed the ZF 9HP used an electric motor to engage the parking pawl, but apparently not - it's hydraulically actuated (as opposed to electrically or mechanically) according to the training video.

·
Registered
297 Posts
After maybe a second or two? Sometimes I'm quick enough to hit the main power and shut the vehicle off before the engine fires up. It's not as instant as lifting your foot off of the brake pedal at a stop light.

·
Registered
206 Posts
As usual, Ridgeline gets the improvements last. The second you shift to park it restarts, which I find particularly annoying in drive-thru lines where I often shift to park to silence the corner sensors, but then I lose idle stop. I suppose I could just shut the engine off myself, but then I lose fan and other functions.

·
Administrator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, it sounds like I should probably just press the "START/STOP" button and let it shift/stay in park or press the "idle stop off" button like I did in my '19 RDX. I had hoped Honda would have changed the logic in the Ridgeline, too. :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, often times when I pull into a parking spot or the garage now and the engine shuts off, I'll just hit the power button while I'm setting the parking brake. That way the engine stays off.

Maybe a software update could fix that... but will Honda bother to do so?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
So, it sounds like I should probably just press the "START/STOP" button and let it shift/stay in park or press the "idle stop off" button like I did in my '19 RDX. I had hoped Honda would have changed the logic in the Ridgeline, too. :(
Are you saying you now (again) own a Honda product?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just hit the stop and let it go to park. Why hit 2 buttons when you can hit one.

I also notice the auto start-stop is not as fast as in most cars. You notice it when you are stopped on an incline. They should disable it for you when stopped on a grade.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I read somewhere that automatic transmissions had to be adapted to accommodate stop start systems. This might well be the reason

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
99 Posts
My 2020 RTL-E stays off when shifting to park after stopping and engine shuts off.
it only comes back on if after some time (several minutes) it needs to restart (low battery voltage?) or if I release my seatbelt. This last one is instinctive to me if I’m going to sit and wait (e.g. in the parking lot for wife, etc). I’m not sure why they need to restart the engine if it’s in park already :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just tested my 2020 RTL-E. When stopped and the engine shuts itself off, placing the transmission in Park does NOT cause the engine to restart. Releasing the foot brake also does not cause the engine to restart. Depressing the foot brake afterwards DOES cause the engine to restart (maybe Honda thinks you are going to drive away?). According to a PDF slide show document I found on the internet (see hopefully attached, slides 29 and 30) the parking pawl is indeed hydraulically activated, but is held in the "engaged" state by a spring so that it is engaged when there is zero fluid pressure, and disengages when fluid pressure is applied. This is why you need a special over-priced gizmo to disengage the pawl if you want to move the truck without starting it.

(Note to Self: You have the info. Build and document a cheap tool made from things readily available at Harbor Freight, and post the How-To up here for everyone.)

EDIT: Ignore slide 31. That is for Chrysler products. The Honda requires you tto get under the hood with a special tool.

Attachments

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just tested my 2020 RTL-E. When stopped and the engine shuts itself off, placing the transmission in Park does NOT cause the engine to restart. Releasing the foot brake also does not cause the engine to restart. Depressing the foot brake afterwards DOES cause the engine to restart (maybe Honda thinks you are going to drive away?). According to a PDF slide show document I found on the internet (see hopefully attached, slides 29 and 30) the parking pawl is indeed hydraulically activated, but is held in the "engaged" state by a spring so that it is engaged when there is zero fluid pressure, and disengages when fluid pressure is applied. This is why you need a special over-priced gizmo to disengage the pawl if you want to move the truck without starting it.

(Note to Self: You have the info. Build and document a cheap tool made from things readily available at Harbor Freight, and post the How-To up here for everyone.)

EDIT: Ignore slide 31. That is for Chrysler products. The Honda requires you tto get under the hood with a special tool.

Your 2020 RTL-E must have different firmware that mine. If I stop and the engine cuts off, then while holding the brake shift to P, the engine starts up in about a second or so. Doesn't matter what I do with the brake pedal. Most of the time I'm holding the brake while setting the parking brake with my other foot, but I'll usually hold the brake until the transmission is in P.

Maybe battery SOC has something to do with it? If it's high enough, the engine stays off, but if it's lower, it starts back up? Maybe a theory to test.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
My 2021 remains off when shifted to park. It can stay off till the computer says to restart. It happens to me all the time in line at a fast food outlet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I noticed today returning from some errands that my engine shut off when I stopped in my garage, so I hit P, and the engine did indeed stay off.... for about 5 seconds. Then it started back up.

When I left the house earlier, the truck did lurch a bit when starting, like seems to happen with the ZF9 sometimes. That made me wonder if I had powered off when I parked from the last time I drove it. Maybe that's a factor in that phenomenon - powering off instead of shifting to park might actually leave the transmission in gear, but engage the parking pawl?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I noticed today returning from some errands that my engine shut off when I stopped in my garage, so I hit P, and the engine did indeed stay off.... for about 5 seconds. Then it started back up.

When I left the house earlier, the truck did lurch a bit when starting, like seems to happen with the ZF9 sometimes. That made me wonder if I had powered off when I parked from the last time I drove it. Maybe that's a factor in that phenomenon - powering off instead of shifting to park might actually leave the transmission in gear, but engage the parking pawl?
My 2021 RL will “lurch” when cold in the morning No matter how I shut it down the evening before.

My 2020 RL did the same.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I noticed yesterday that I can get it to turn pff again in park (drive through line) if I fully release the brake pedal and re-apply it, but it always cranks during the shift.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK, I'm guessing the engine staying off has to be related to battery SOC, just like when stopped at a light, if the battery SOC drops below a threshold the engine starts up again.

I ran some errands again and stopped at a light on the way home, and the engine shut off. So I held the brake and shifted to P, then slowly lifted my foot off the brake, and the engine stayed off for a lot longer. I can't remember if it started back up itself or if it started when I covered the brake to shift to D to drive again.

So it does appear that Auto Start/Stop will engage when shifting to Park, but only for a short length of time likely related to the battery SOC much like when stopped at a light. Lifting off of the brake pedal doesn't cause it to restart either.

I'd suspect the experience from my earlier posts in this topic were due to short trips where the battery SOC may have not been topped up much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts