Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread about excuses used for using your Ridge instead of a 2nd vehicle if you have one, got me to thinking what your attitude is to your partner driving your Ridge. ;) My better half drives a Rav4, and when we both use that I generally drive (I'll admit to being a terrible passenger), but more often than not we use the Ridge for joint expeditions. With just over 3000 miles on the clock, she's driven it once. Half joking, I told her to wait until I've scratched it before she goes out alone in it.:eek: Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Like you, I am a terrible passenger, so I usually drive when we are going somewhere together. However, I did let her drive it partway home on the the day we bought it. She has also driven it a few times since when I wanted to tow the boat, but the RL didn't have sufficient miles for towing, so I borrowed her Windstar and let her have the RL.

L

·
0 Posts
I am from the old school. When you go together, the man drives. I have no issue as Todd is a great driver. HOWEVER....he will be hard pressed to get me to relinquish the steering wheel next weekend!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I have to reverse this as the partner driving HIS Ridge, but thought it might be instructive to see what it's like on the other side of the fence. I love being a passenger in the RL, but there are times when I'd like to drive. . .

In our relationship we have always selected, bought and paid for our own vehicles individually. It's usually the person that "owns" the vehicle that drives. If we go somewhere in the Jeep, I drive. In the Trooper and now in the Ridge, he drives. The exception has been on rare occassions when we've taken my rig on long trip where he prefers to drive and I prefer to be free to snap photos along the way.

Me driving the Ridgeline has been a sore issue on a few occassions. As you regulars know, I am the big fan and cheerleader for the Ridge. Hubby is registered here but has never posted. He relies on me to pass on things I discover at the ROC.

It was my prompting to go take the test drive AND my $9K down payment that got us into it. I was well aware that it was going to replace HIS Trooper and I would keep my Jeep. He promised on the test drive and again a few days later that any time he wasn't using it, I was welcome to drive it.

I hate the concept of asking "permission" and being "allowed" anything in relationships. He's not my daddy and I'm not his mommy. On a couple of occassions I've let him know I had some place I wanted to go in it and wouldn't you know it: He's gotten completely possessive and acted stupid. We've gone the rounds over this and I've had hurt feelings. He's been very sorry for being such an ***, but he tends to react first and think later.

He's made amends a couple of times by coming home from work early and handing me the keys before I head to the office. It's not resolved because he's been so creepy that I hesitate or even refuse to drive it now. It did not have to be a sore subject and I wish he'd have thought it through a bit more before he snapped at me.

His default is to be gruff and ornery. I can't relate, but I've gotten used to his surly side. That does not mean he gets away with it scott free. I do have my limits! I will take him to task.

Maybe this isn't the lighthearted response you were looking for. Perhaps you have a more jovial personality than my hubby does. Maybe your partner doesn't care. But if she or he is like me and would enjoy doing it once in a while or even regularly, are you being fair and resonable? Do you need to reconsider "allowing" your partner to drive YOUR Ridge?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I read this thread to hubby and his response was: "I think of our cars as our Ridgeline and our Accord". I said, "Well, I think of them as both my cars and I let you drive which one I am not driving". LOL. Poor guy.

Seriously, I had to talk him onto buying the Ridgeline and now I am having a hard time getting him out of it!!! At one point he was in a Suburban then went to an Accord and now, wants to be in the Ridgeline all the time! He said he didn't realize how much he had missed sitting up high and being in a larger vehicle. The original plan was 50/50 on each of us driving the vehicles. I can tell you that he is getting much more than 50% on the truck. That's ok, I get my time (fix?) and I love him being happy.

My 14 year old loves Mom driving a truck. He requests what vehicle we take, and of course, it is almost always the truck. I picked him up the other day, while he was standing with a group of his friends. First words out of his mouth were: "You look like a Bad "A" Mom, you are so cool". I'll take it :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My wife loves to drive my truck whenever she gets the chance. But our usual rule of thumb is when we drive in 'her' Odyessy, she drives, and when in my RL, I drive.

If I'm off and she's working, she will occasionally drive my RL to work.

I don't mind the switch-off sometimes because I like to play with the navi system in her van:p

Now as for her driving skills.............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a great thread. What great posts.
My wife has not once said she wants to take my Ridge instead of her Acura. However, she likes to share the driving on the Ridge when we go on road trips. And she really llikes riding in the Ridge. My not getting NAV may be a slight disincentive for her driving the Ridge on her own -- but not much. Hey, but only once have I said I want to take her car instead of my Ridge. I like her car fine, but taking the Ridge is so much more fun for me.
Which takes me back to my absolutely favorite feature on the Ridge: The breeze (without a lot of road noise) from driving with moonroof open and rear window open. The Ridge is an astonishingly good vehicle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Truckin' said:
Me driving the Ridgeline has been a sore issue on a few occassions.
Sorry to here that there is trouble in paradise. Simple solution - dual RL's, its time to trade the Jeep. You deserve a Ridgeline of your very own. :D

·
Registered
964 Posts
The Ridgeline is mine. The husband likes it though, and I'm surprised at that (as I think he is too). He likes playing with the nav while I'm driving. I never thought I'd own a truck, but this is just so much more (AND has a trunk!).

Whenever we go anywhere, we mostly take the Ridge. I mostly drive. That has been the case throughout our relationship. I prefer driving, he likes to read when we go on trips. I cannot read in a moving car, so when he drives, there is not much for me to do (especially since the majority of our trips are to relatives houses, so we go the same routes a lot... not a lot of scenery to take in).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Great thread.
I have on occasion let my wife take the truck and I become very worried when she does. I have never felt so strange about letting someone else drive my vehicle. I will also admit to being an *** at times and saying no because of it. I now have taken the approach of trying to convince my wife to not get a Pilot but another Ridge!!!!! I wonder then if I'll like her's more than mine!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Of course! In return for my having paid for it, and installing a few accessories on it, I've driven it twice since June 30th, and will probably drive it once or twice more before the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Of all the ROC heads on this site I am probably one of the lucky ones because it's just me and my Ridgeline and my Kawasaki ZZ-R1200 (which BTW is also silver!). I don't have a steady in country, yet and my children know better than to even ask to drive it! Actually I think they are intimidated by it! The truck that is. Well, maybe by it's owner as well! Life is sweet! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not if I can help it...my wife has had a small accident with every car I have owned including every car she owns. She either backs into something or cuts a turn too sharp and slaps the rear wheel against the curb to complete a turn...yeesh. You can imagine my anxiety when she borrows my car or truck..... she only drives when it only involves long straight hiways.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
From Truckin' [/B]"Maybe this isn't the lighthearted response you were looking for. Perhaps you have a more jovial personality than my hubby does. Maybe your partner doesn't care. But if she or he is like me and would enjoy doing it once in a while or even regularly, are you being fair and resonable? Do you need to reconsider "allowing" your partner to drive YOUR Ridge?

Wow! I can feel how you both feel and that is unfortunate! Taking the 'right thng to do' point of view, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT, WHEN HE ISN'T USING IT, TO DRIVE THAT RIDGELINE! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU PUT A DOWN PAYMENT ON IT FOR HIM! Forgive me but that is very selfish and I can see why you would not even want to ask him to drive his.

If it were possible, I would trade in the jeep, get my own Ridgeline and pimp it out to look better than his and dare him to ask to drive it! :D Just don't make too big a wave in your relationship over a vehicle that goes to him as well. ;) Honey is also better than Vinegar! Communication is always better than Silence! Good luck to you both on this subject! :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Toobuku said:
Forgive me but that is very selfish and I can see why you would not even want to ask him to drive his.

Honey is also better than Vinegar! Communication is always better than Silence! Good luck to you both on this subject! :) [/COLOR]
Thanks Toobuku and Mr-J for the suggestion that two Ridgelines in the drive would solve the problem, at least that particular problem. Unfortunately, that is not an option. I don't want our budget any tighter than this payment is making it. I've always driven older cars and I've never bought a new vehicle for myself. The depreciation that happens when you drive off the lot is obscene. I like NOT having a car payment.

The kicker that I'm very aware of and that I've pointed out to him is that his brutish attitude is very effective. I avoid riling him and therefore he gets his way. I am not a passive person by any stretch of the word, I just pick my battles. I'm sure I challenge him as much as he does me. We do not punish each other with the silent treatment.

In the grand scheme of things, this is something that we bump heads about but it does not threaten relationship. We are both thrilled to have the truck. I love it for the dogs. I'd just like to drive it once in a while without it becoming an issue.

Hubby is slow on the uptake when it gets into his territorial "ownership." The very first time I told him I wanted to drive it, I prefaced it with a caution to consider his response carefully, that how what he was about to say was important and would set a tone. It did. Even with that heads up, he stuck his foot in his mouth. He's always sorry and can't explain his grumpy default system. At least he's predictable, eh?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Quote:
no:rolleyes:
Come on Ralfiboi, don't beat around the bush. Give us a more direct answer. :D

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great responses guys & gals.
Just for clarification, I have no problem with "her" driving my Ridge (apart from the high blood pressure, anxiety attacks and nervous twitches that I will suffer), it's just that I wouldn't want her to be the first to christen it with a scratch or dent. That honor should be left to me (and it ain't never going to happen :) right?) She's never crashed any car that I'm aware of, so all the worry is just in my head.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Absolutely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Since my wife is only 4'10" and can barely see over the dashboard let alone the steering wheel I don't think I have to worry about sharing. Mine! Mine! Mine! All MINE!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts