Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have 2 rescue dogs who are getting a bit long in the tooth and I need a way to help them get in the back seat of my RL. Right now I am boosting them in, but they are pretty big. I have a dog ramp that I used to use for the back of my old Forester (in to the hatchback part), but it is too wide to fit in the opening of my 2009's back door. I measured and the opening, perpendicular to the truck is only about 14" or 15".

Has anyone had the same problem and come up with a ramp that works, or a good alternative?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
We had one we gave away when our goldie passed. We have smaller dogs now. It just worked at an angle, on the rear door sill of the RL. Worked fine for the back of the old CRV.
It folded in thirds, very sturdy, but also very heavy.
I know there are much lighter but still strong ones out there now. Maybe someone can recommend a brand or just check the size of different ones.
You could try a homemade version, but making it fold or otherwise more portable could be a challenge.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Once upon a time my puppies could easily hop into the back of a full sized pickup, now they can't even get into the cab. I recently purchased a ramp (specifically for the RV) for their use ... but they're afraid of it. I foresee the same thing eventually happening to me.

Still, getting old is preferable to the alternative.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Why yes, yes I did.

I too had an old rescue dog. She passed a year ago yesterday at the ripe old age of somewhere between 13 and 16 years of age.

Anyway, I made a quick ramp out of some scrap 3/4-in plywood. I carpeted it with some remnant carpet and had a 2x4 across the front edge so it sat flat on the floor. (the picture doesn't look like it because you can't see the 2x4)

But it sat on the side steps for the ramp. Then once she was in, I slid the ramp onto the backseat floor and she would lay on it. I had made a leash and used carabiners to hook her harness on the floor hook. She could walk around without worrying about her flying through the cab in an accident.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Great solution! I used my side bars too..that doorsill is just too narrow and curved for a decent ramp like that one.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Just use the door sill and a narrower ramp. Instead on laying on the ramp, throw some dog bed pillows back there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is the one I have been using since 2012. I have 2 10 year old labs and it works quite well. Yes, you do have to place it somewhat at an angle but it hasn't been a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I guess the advantage of the plywood route...I only spent $10 (maybe) on everything.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts