Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Ridgeline Touring
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

As with many other people, my front dome lights are not coming on when opening the door (2012 RL Touring), though they both come on when their respective buttons are pressed. The rear dome lights don't come on at all. I haven't checked yet, but I assume burned bulbs in the rear dome lights. They don't come on even when pressed individually.

Reading through the forums here, I found many posts describing the process of taking apart the light area to remove the switches and bend the contacts, but unfortunately a lot of those posts no longer have images. The posts were very old (well over a decade), and so I'm assuming the inline images didn't survive a database or forum software update somewhere along the way. I took pictures along the way to help somebody else in the future. Unfortunately this didn't end up resolving my problem, but I thought I'd write up an updated photo document for the replacement process to help the next person out. As for my problem, another related thread on here mentions the ON/OFF/DOOR switch as a possible candidate. I think I need to remove the instrument panel first to access that, so I'll wait for my service manual that I bought off eBay to get here. Tracking shows it should be here any day now.

Use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry off the map light lenses where they hinge.

Next remove these two screws. Note that they provide the ground for the circuit, so when you want to test your handywork you'll have to screw them back in first otherwise nothing will work. ? After removing the screws, give a gentle tug to remove the assembly.

You won't have much room to work, so remove the connector on the left by pushing in the tab and then unplugging it.

With a flat blade screwdriver, gently pry out the switch.

Here's the switch.

Check the condition of the pins. Mine were in perfect shape. Bend them down ever so slightly in the direction that would be down to the floor as it is normally mounted in the ceiling.

Another view showing the direction to bend the pins.

That's it. Put the switches back in, return the assembly to the ceiling (don't forget to reattach the connector you removed to make more room for yourself), and put the screws in to complete the ground before testing. If all's well, gently put the lenses back in and enjoy your handywork!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
That's the process. Thanks for updating with the new images.

I found that it helps if I spray contact spray in the switches too (where the blade contacts enter).

Reactions: Teeroy78

·
Registered
2012 Honda Ridgeline Touring
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @speedlever for confirming the process as documented here! I don't have any contact cleaner, but I would think I could find some at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi folks,

As with many other people, my front dome lights are not coming on when opening the door (2012 RL Touring), though they both come on when their respective buttons are pressed. The rear dome lights don't come on at all. I haven't checked yet, but I assume burned bulbs in the rear dome lights. They don't come on even when pressed individually.

Reading through the forums here, I found many posts describing the process of taking apart the light area to remove the switches and bend the contacts, but unfortunately a lot of those posts no longer have images. The posts were very old (well over a decade), and so I'm assuming the inline images didn't survive a database or forum software update somewhere along the way. I took pictures along the way to help somebody else in the future. Unfortunately this didn't end up resolving my problem, but I thought I'd write up an updated photo document for the replacement process to help the next person out. As for my problem, another related thread on here mentions the ON/OFF/DOOR switch as a possible candidate. I think I need to remove the instrument panel first to access that, so I'll wait for my service manual that I bought off eBay to get here. Tracking shows it should be here any day now.

Use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry off the map light lenses where they hinge.
View attachment 400555

Next remove these two screws. Note that they provide the ground for the circuit, so when you want to test your handywork you'll have to screw them back in first otherwise nothing will work. ? After removing the screws, give a gentle tug to remove the assembly.
View attachment 400556

You won't have much room to work, so remove the connector on the left by pushing in the tab and then unplugging it.
View attachment 400557

View attachment 400558

Here's the switch.
View attachment 400559

Check the condition of the pins. Mine were in perfect shape. Bend them down ever so slightly in the direction that would be down to the floor as it is normally mounted in the ceiling.
View attachment 400560

View attachment 400561

That's it. Put the switches back in, return the assembly to the ceiling (don't forget to reattach the connector you removed to make more room for yourself), and put the screws in to complete the ground before testing. If all's well, gently put the lenses back in and enjoy your handywork!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Replace the white dome light switch !! No need to bend the pins. Amazon has the dome light switch for just a few bucks.

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
I've replaced the switches with limited success. Bending the pins towards the floor and hitting the switch contacts with contact spray has been the best fix I've found so far.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the pictures of the process.

Any lucking fixing the light issue? I have the same thing going on with my 06 RL and was hoping for a solution!

Hi folks,

View attachment 400555

View attachment 400556

View attachment 400557

View attachment 400558

Here's the switch.
View attachment 400559

View attachment 400560

View attachment 400561

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
Thanks for the pictures of the process.

Any lucking fixing the light issue? I have the same thing going on with my 06 RL and was hoping for a solution!
Not sure what you're asking. This thread is a fix for the light issue. Or at least one of them. Does this not work for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure what you're asking. This thread is a fix for the light issue. Or at least one of them. Does this not work for you?
Speedlever...

I was curious if Teeroy78 was able to find a solution to the lights not coming on when door opens or when using the on/off/door switch. In the post Teeroy78 mentioned "Unfortunately this didn't end up resolving my problem" and so I was checking to see if there was an update on what solved the overhead dome issue.

Since owning my Ridgeline the overhead domes have never worked when opening the door or toogling the switch. However similar to Teeroy78 the push buttons on the driver and passenger side both work with pushed.

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
That sounds very familiar. I replaced switches, bent the tangs that go into the switches, replaced bulbs, etc. Finally held my tongue just right and everything has been working on both my 2006 Pilot and 2008 RIdgeline (very similar vehicles in many ways). The last fix on the overhead light assembly involved removing the switches, cleaning the contacts and spraying contact cleaner into the switch holes the tangs go into. That seems the best and longest lasting fix yet. Maybe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts