Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of removing a cylinder head on a ridgeline. If you ever need to do this your in for a nightmare. I've been working on autos for 30 years, and I've never seen such an over-engineered pos. There's more sensors and wiring electronics in the way than I ever imagined possible. The rear exhaust manifold was wonderful, your in for a treat.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Any pics? Would love to see the inner workings you see.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can't you just pull off the front right tire and pull out the manifold after it's unbolted? Seems to be enough room to me. You might wanna take off the heat shield first, could be easier. (we are talking about the rear cat right? Since the manifolds are integrated into the head).

I've pulled the engine harness off the top of the engine about 4 times in the past year, it's not fun... but after you've broke nearly every connector clip on it, the plugs are quite easy to pull out.... shaved a whole 45 min off my disassembly time.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've pulled the engine harness off the top of the engine about 4 times in the past year, it's not fun... but after you've broke nearly every connector clip on it, the plugs are quite easy to pull out.... shaved a whole 45 min off my disassembly time.
Connector clips...gotta love them. Well, not exactly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't you just pull off the front right tire and pull out the manifold after it's unbolted? Seems to be enough room to me. You might wanna take off the heat shield first, could be easier. (we are talking about the rear cat right? Since the manifolds are integrated into the head).

You mean the heat shield that's has the rusted seized fasteners?

·
Registered
651 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find any engine much newer than a 2000 model year or so that's not just as bad - or much worse.
I've got an 04 Kia Amanti impossible to see the rear manifold, much less remove it. Any belt driven accessory, power steering pump, alternator, etc requires removal of the passenger tire and fender liner simply to see it,
Our 01 Chrysler 300m appears to be worse although I haven't had to do anything major to it yet.
If you want to see something truly intimidating look under the hood of a new Ford diesel!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'd be hard pressed to find any engine much newer than a 2000 model year or so that's not just as bad - or much worse.
I've got an 04 Kia Amanti impossible to see the rear manifold, much less remove it. Any belt driven accessory, power steering pump, alternator, etc requires removal of the passenger tire and fender liner simply to see it,
Our 01 Chrysler 300m appears to be worse although I haven't had to do anything major to it yet.
If you want to see something truly intimidating look under the hood of a new Ford diesel!
Your right all modern vehicles are mechanic unfriendly in some way. This may sound paranoid, but I think by making vehicles more complex (expensive),hard to fix (also expensive), eventually only the rich will have cars. An old timer told me in the sixties he could do three jobs (roofing) and with those earnings buy a brand new chevy pickup. How many jobs would I have to do today for a new chevy?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
An old timer told me in the sixties he could do three jobs (roofing) and with those earnings buy a brand new chevy pickup. How many jobs would I have to do today for a new chevy?
Only one if you do an Oceans 11 or 12. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
An old timer told me in the sixties he could do three jobs (roofing) and with those earnings buy a brand new chevy pickup. How many jobs would I have to do today for a new chevy?
Probably the same considering what wages are now.
Plus you can get a truck with half the fuel consumption and twice the power not mention greater safety and comfort.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Well,maybe not twice the power.
Pretty damn close. The top engine in the 1960 Chevy pickup was the 327. That made about 200hp.... 220 if your carbs were tuned perfect and your engine was in perfect shape.

Just for example... The new Dodge Ram with the Hemi V8, 5.7L (top engine) makes somewhere around 400hp. so yeah, about double.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well,maybe not twice the power.
Pretty damn close. The top engine in the 1960 Chevy pickup was the 327. That made about 200hp.... 220 if your carbs were tuned perfect and your engine was in perfect shape.

Just for example... The new Dodge Ram with the Hemi V8, 5.7L (top engine) makes somewhere around 400hp. so yeah, about double.
Exactly! And even MORE than twice the power, depending on how old the "old timer" was. Just go back far enough & you'll get more than 3x the power. I think 1955 Ford PU was about 115HP. I'm just sayin'........... Things really kicked up in the late 50s & early 60s.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another example, the 350-2 that came in my Buick in 1972 had around 145hp... thats Dodge Neon status right there in a small block V-8.

1972 is a bad example though, simply because thats when the HP ratings were swapped over from net to gross numbers.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Another example, the 350-2 that came in my Buick in 1972 had around 145hp... thats Dodge Neon status right there in a small block V-8.

1972 is a bad example though, simply because thats when the HP ratings were swapped over from net to gross numbers.
Heh! My Grandfather always had antique cars when I was a younger lad. When I was 16 and first got my license he let me drive his model A. WOW What an experience. I think it was a 3-speed (manual of course). THE STARTER WAS A PEDAL ON THE FLOOR! COOL!

Anyways... it had a 3.0L i-4 that made somewhere around 30hp in its modern form. For comparison, my ATV with a fuel injected 420cc single-banger makes about 35hp.

He also had an old 50's Chrysler with a straight 8 that was about 3.5???? liters in displacement, and he was under the impression it made about 100~HP.

In the late 60-70's it seems that they figured out how to get whopping power out of engines by comparison to the old ones, but then the 80's hit and the emissions restrictions kicked in... and the 350 in the corvette made 180hp. A dark day indeed.

·
Administrator
16,015 Posts
In the late 60-70's it seems that they figured out how to get whopping power out of engines by comparison to the old ones, but then the 80's hit and the emissions restrictions kicked in... and the 350 in the corvette made 180hp. A dark day indeed.
I'm still wondering why we feel like we need 200+ HP engines in passenger cars that can easily reach speeds of 110+ MPH when such speeds are not legal in the US and actually utilizing the full acceleration capabilities of many modern family sedans will land you in legal trouble for reckless driving.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm still wondering why we feel like we need 200+ HP engines in passenger cars that can easily reach speeds of 110+ MPH when such speeds are not legal in the US and actually utilizing the full acceleration capabilities of many modern family sedans will land you in legal trouble for reckless driving.
It is a weird one. It is common now for reviews to refer to cars that take 7 seconds to get to 60 as 'slow'. And almost every time the comments that follow include "A Camry would blow you away at a stoplight". Are there a lot of people drag racing Camrys?
And comments about cars that take over 9 seconds for 0-60 always include "That is dangerous! You'd never be able to merge or pull into traffic!" If they aren't capable of planning their moves and calculating where they can fit in traffic they shouldn't be driving; let alone driving a high powered car.
I guess fortunately, most with the overpowered cars are oblivious anyways as I often find myself thinking "get your ultimate driving machine out of the way" as I drive along in my 'slow' 150 hp machine. Or hoping the $100,000 Porsche SUV will finish slowly putting along through the intersection before the light turns red on me behind him.

I remember some time back reading about speeding laws and there was one place in the US that if they clocked you over 90 you spent a night in jail.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I guess we are masochists in a way. We have the need to speed and feel the gobs of torque when starting out. Knowing full well we will never experience the true potential of what we have legally, unless it is on a sanctioned race track.
The auto companies keep feeding that unfulfilled passion. I just read in Pop Mechanics about 3 cars that have company supported mods for even more power:

Honda- Honda Performance Development has a supercharger kit for $5495 to boost the manual shift version of the CRZ from 130hp to 198hp.

Toyota-TRD supercharger to take the 5.7 liter V-8 in the Tundra or Sequoia from 381 hp and 401 ft lb of torque to 504 and 500 respectively, for $3400 plus installation.

Ford- Power Pack $1695 + installation for a new intake, new exhaust, upgraded spark plugs and ECU retune, to take the Focus ST 2 L 4cyl from from 260 ft lbs of torque to 350.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts