Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A frustrating week ended with a new truck.

I just wanted to pass it along my success as I know the MSRP Plus conversation is a frustrating one for all. To me, the price you give me is as much about the value that you see in me as a customer as my math. I won't pay MSRP - much less more, but that's me.

Complicating my search is the fact that I wanted the Forest Mist in the RTL-E trim level and that's apparently rarer than seeing houndstooth at an Auburn sorority. Anyway...

I started the Honda dealer where I had gotten my wife a new Pilot last August. They had one on order. Surely wanting to buy a second mid-tier vehicle from the same dealer within a year would warrant a reasonable deal. A vehicle that would be on their lot a day and so they would keep the max hold-back. I would wait. I would sign a contract up front and give them earnest money. Nothing. Nada. They were actually arrogant in explaining how the interest in the Ridgeline was allowing them to charge more than MSRP. Needless to say, I walked after a few, mostly polite words.

Next, I tried a slew of Internet requests - searching for a chink in the armor. Finally a nibble. Dealer has what I want - literally came in that day. Would give me $500 off MSRP because I would have to drive three hours to get to them. But no more than that - the trucks are too popular. I thank them for their willingness to offer a discount, when no one else will, but that I have to be lower to do the deal. I explained that the trim models suck (which they do) and so I have to move up to the "E" to get what I need. Back and forth - calls & emails - they give a little, I do, and so we settle on $1750 off MSRP. Send them my trade info and my trade comes back $1300 over KBB average (which I used for my math), but I gave $700 back of that in their "dealer processing fee" (aka more profit). Still another $600 to the good on my math. Almost a good deal. I wasn't going to push my luck. Locked it in and spent today getting there, going through the process and getting home. I took time while there to thank the GM as he could have stonewalled the deal if he wanted and he didn't.

Anyway, I hope that relaying my experience helps somehow.

Good luck.

Finally, does anyone know how to change my username - cause that Taco is history.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well played. Smart idea flipping Honda's dumb idea pushing the moonroof all the way up to RTL-E trim level.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom & please keep us posted on how the new ownership experience goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the new RL. I don´t understand why dealers act that way, I had a similar experience with Toyota. I got my wife a brand new 2015 Rav4 in May of 2015. 6 months later when the new Tacoma was on their lot I went to get one. They would not even consider any offer besides MSRP. I said really guys, I just bought a car 6 months ago and am returning to get another, no deal. I waited until May 2016 and tried again. 800 off MSRP was the best they could do. Oh, well, there is a reason for everything, and the reasoning none of that worked out is because I was meant to own a ridgeline. I am currently waiting on a reply for a Sport myself. Congrats on getting a deal you are happy with and enjoy the truck. I have seen a few Tacoma converts on here and it makes me smile a little.

Sorry, can´t help with changing your username. If possible it should be in user CP. Maybe a more seasoned member can help with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts