Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the extended view mirror installed today (it was a free IOU from the dealer). It's a huge disappointment I'd of really been PO'd if I had paid the $89.00 the dealer wanted for it. :frown:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just got the extended view mirror installed today (it was a free IOU from the dealer). It's a huge disappointment I'd of really been PO'd if I had paid the $89.00 the dealer wanted for it. :frown:
Mind taking a picture to show us what it looks like? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I felt that the extended mirror had no extra value when I first got my 2016 Pilot that had the extended mirror on it. It was helpful in keeping an eye on vehicles in the third lane when merging into traffic. But, I miss it on the 2017 Ridgeline so think I may install one when I can determine how difficult they are to remove the old and install the new.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I felt that the extended mirror had no extra value when I first got my 2016 Pilot that had the extended mirror on it. It was helpful in keeping an eye on vehicles in the third lane when merging into traffic. But, I miss it on the 2017 Ridgeline so think I may install one when I can determine how difficult they are to remove the old and install the new.
The extended view on the Pilot mirror is a lot larger than the one on the Ridgeline. The extended view side of the mirror is only a little over 1" wide. On the Pilot it's at least 2 or 3 times larger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks for your input, have been pondering this mod.
I shall put if off for now.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,331 Posts
Would the Pilot one fit the Ridgeline? It's a Pilot Pickup, I'd think so.

I've never seen either, would you mind posting a few pics...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a Civic rental a few weeks back that had that style mirror and it really messed with my eyes, for whatever reason. I found myself trying to avoid looking at that part of the mirror. Maybe it was just the vertical line, but it was bordering on uncomfortable. Has it bothered anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,331 Posts
Ok, so it's the same mirror with a "convex mirror" on the end but within the same housing.

Got it, Thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ok, so it's the same mirror with a "convex mirror" on the end but within the same housing.

Got it, Thanks
CS(?) I was wondering what it looked like also.

To the OP, it might take a little to get used to using it but your opinion will most likely change after driving a while.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So it's like the mirrors that say "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" type?

Reactions: MJWayne and Carsmak

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh.. so it is similar to the $2.99 blind spot mirror from Walmart, but it's well integrated :p Well, I think it has its value for blind spot considering we cannot fully trust the sensors on the alert when technology fails. LOL. Also, there are scenarios that are useful, say you are going to race on the track OR you want to drive like an axxhole on the road. Basically you disable all the Honda Sensing tech first and of course you don't signal or shoulder check (too slow in high speed)..., in that case the new extended mirror has good value to make that split second decision IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a loaner CRV with it... like OP said it is a waste!...
found a pic online.
If you can see that much of your vehicle in the sideview mirrors, then you're going to have problems anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,781 Posts
Why is it so difficult to adjust the side view mirrors properly?

I use a version of this technique. I like to adjust the side mirrors such that a vehicle overtaking me either on the left or the right will pass from my rear view mirror to my side view mirror seamlessly. IE, as a vehicle approaches from the rear and passes on my left, for example, I have the left side view mirror adjusted so that as the overtaking vehicle's left headlight leaves my rearview mirror, it appears in my left side view mirror, and so forth. It is basically a seamless visual transition from the rear to either side view mirror.

When my side view mirrors are adjusted this way, I cannot see either side of my vehicle in the side view mirrors (unlike the way I used to have them adjusted). But I can see a vehicle in my side view mirrors until they become peripherally visible either side of me.

Reactions: rythmpyg

·
Administrator
16,843 Posts
I felt that the extended mirror had no extra value when I first got my 2016 Pilot that had the extended mirror on it. But, I miss it on the 2017 Ridgeline so think I may install one when I can determine how difficult they are to remove the old and install the new.
I had a loaner CRV with it... like OP said it is a waste!...
I had a Civic rental a few weeks back that had that style mirror and it really messed with my eyes, for whatever reason. I found myself trying to avoid looking at that part of the mirror. Maybe it was just the vertical line, but it was bordering on uncomfortable. Has it bothered anyone else?
Interesting observations and opinions. I had one on the '16 CR-V and found it rather useful. It complimented the Lane Watch camera nicely to give an extended view of both sides of the vehicle. I miss not having both features on the Ridgeline, though I have grown quite fond of the blind spot information system and find it very useful.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,781 Posts
I had that extended mirror on the loaner 2015 Accord for 4+ months. I never saw any value in it as I promptly adjusted my side view mirrors per my above post as soon as I departed the dealership. I think it was maybe an inch or so wide on the Accord too. Perhaps a 2 or 3 inch extended mirror might be more useful, I dunno. Regardless, I like how my adjustment works.

Reactions: MJWayne

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are a couple of pictures of the expanded view mirror. Not easy to see the vertical line is the dividing point of the regular view and expanded view. Like I said I'm not very impressed with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife's 2016 Civic has it and I really like it, but she does not. Says it is weird and distracting. I guess it just depends on the person.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts