Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing some shadow lights in my driver door, everything was working just fine and I was in the midst of putting things back together when this very smart person short circuited the wires that run the dome light in the door.

My question for everyone is...
What fuse runs the dome lights in the doors? The only light not working is the driver door all of the other lights along with door lights work. I find it strange that they are all on their own fuse but I'm no mechanic by any means. Any help would be great!

I am also not positive that it is a fuse, I'm just assuming. If you have an idea of what it might be please let me know!

·
Registered
579 Posts
*null
sorry, posted info for 09+

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
It looks like fuse #6 in the under-dash fuse box handles the courtesy lights but, if the other lights are working, I doubt that is the problem. Have you checked/replaced the bulb? If it isn't the bulb, maybe the wiring or the switch in the door got fried when that smart person shorted the circuit.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It looks like fuse #6 in the under-dash fuse box handles the courtesy lights but, if the other lights are working, I doubt that is the problem. Have you checked/replaced the bulb? If it isn't the bulb, maybe the wiring or the switch in the door got fried when that smart person shorted the circuit.
That's the same one showing on the '09+ also.
Here is what its showing on that protected circuit...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't thinking it was a fuse either. i don't think it was the bulb (although i haven't checked yet) because i didn't have the bulb attached to the wiring when it happened. I'm hoping i didn't fry anything because i really don't want to chase wires all day, do you know it there is a secondary fuse that could have blown?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I wasn't thinking it was a fuse either. i don't think it was the bulb (although i haven't checked yet) because i didn't have the bulb attached to the wiring when it happened. I'm hoping i didn't fry anything because i really don't want to chase wires all day, do you know it there is a secondary fuse that could have blown?
I can't say for sure if there is another fuse involved. I was recently watching a youtube video on tracking down electrical problems and the tech said that the first troubleshooting step should be to check all fuses since modern vehicles have so many interconnected systems.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
If you still have incandescent bulbs in the door, use a meter to see if the filament is open. If you don't have a meter, eye balls are a close second. It's doubtful there is a secondary fuse in the circuit - OEMs don't deploy such protection strategies. It's equally doubtful anything was "fried" because shorting the circuit via wiring in the door would have popped the fuse long before anything could fry. The simplest explanation is usually correct. You either have a burned out bulb, or a connection (like in the bulb socket) was somehow mangled during handling.

A fail-safe method of knowing is to pop out the (working) passenger side bulb and stick it in the driver side. If it works, new bulb and you're done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. So far nothing has worked I know it's not the door switch because the map light still comes on. I'm going to try plugging the driver door panel into the passanger door which should tell me if its from the connection to the bulb or connection to the door. Please keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it all figured out! The connection on the passenger door was different so we just used a volt meter and compared our results.

After some investigation we figured out that I must have blown the ground wire off of its connection, which was surprising to me considering its only a 12V circuit.

Anyway we made a new ground and now everything works great and the lights are installed!

If your interested in seeing the lights stay tuned for a tutorial I'm going to post tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts