Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the Door Edge Guards and the Door Edge Film. I have been unable to find a good photo of the Door Edge Guards. I would think that the Door Edge Guards would offer better protection, but I am concerned about the look. Has anybody had them installed, or have an opinion on them?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am trying to decide between the Door Edge Guards and the Door Edge Film. I have been unable to find a good photo of the Door Edge Guards. I would think that the Door Edge Guards would offer better protection, but I am concerned about the look. Has anybody had them installed, or have an opinion on them?
I bought after-market black door edge guards for my G2. I had used them pretty successfully in my G1, although they sometimes came unglued. On my G2 on the highway and in high heat they were pretty consistently coming off. I removed them and bought the Honda 3M film from one of the discount online dealers. Really looks good and no chance it will come off. Also, my sense is that unless you slam your door into something really hard, the film will work fine.

One problem I've had: On one of the doors where the after market actually stayed on the door, I've got residual glue or whatever I'm having a hard time taking off before I apply the film to that door.

Installing the film is much more time consuming and requires a bit of attention to detail, but it was worth it. Can offer a photo if you want.

After this experience, I'd never go back to the door edge guards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
where did you get those edge guards? Do they stay home n good?
I bought some cheap ones from autozone but they won't stay on. I'm constantly having to adjust them.
Now I'm thinking about ordering some 3m tape/film.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Timely thread......I put door edge guards on my '14 SE 18 months ago. I really like the protection they offer. Yesterday my son managed somehow to hook a garment on the top of the right rear edge guard. I taped it back in place and added few drops of clear liquid silicone to stick it back in place. All is well, except I need to give the girl a wash n wax.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I much prefer the 3M clear door edge tape. In January I bought a 10-yard roll for $15 and applied generous legnths to all four doors on my Ridgeline and our Accord and still have plenty left over to re-do a couple of more doors if I need to. It still looks great and has saved me a few times when the doors have accidentally bumped the cement siding in our garage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017MGPLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a few iPhone shots I just took...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I much prefer the 3M clear door edge tape. In January I bought a 10-yard roll for $15 and applied generous legnths to all four doors on my Ridgeline and our Accord and still have plenty left over to re-do a couple of more doors if I need to. It still looks great and has saved me a few times when the doors have accidentally bumped the cement siding in our garage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017MGPLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a few iPhone shots I just took...
Thx for the info, I'm definitely ordering these. Now I just have to figure out how to clean all the glue residue left behind by the edge guards.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thx for the info, I'm definitely ordering these. Now I just have to figure out how to clean all the glue residue left behind by the edge guards.
Goof-Off and use a microfiber towel. You should not have any issues with damaging the paint with that combo.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Have had OEM door edge guards on my 2010 ,since new. Absolutely NO problems. I just don't think any tapes will protect enough.

SENT from: My KINDLE FIRE HD

·
Registered
83 Posts
My new RTL-E came with door edge film. I promptly removed it as I don't like trying to clean the wax off the edge of it when I wax the vehicle. As my wife pointed out, the only way you're going to get chips on the edge of the door is if _you_ bang it into something. I'm always careful in that regard, so no door edge guard of either type is necessary for me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Door edge guards look cheap and ruin the clean lines of a vehicle IMO. Over the years body gaps have gotten much tighter and cleaner looking and this makes the doors stand out way too much. Unless you routinely hit other cars while opening your doors in a parking lot these are not needed. Many dealers just add these on along with trunk liners, mudflaps, nitrogen in the tires, pin stripes ect. simply as grossly overpriced add ons.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Door edge guards look cheap and ruin the clean lines of a vehicle IMO. Over the years body gaps have gotten much tighter and cleaner looking and this makes the doors stand out way too much. Unless you routinely hit other cars while opening your doors in a parking lot these are not needed. Many dealers just add these on along with trunk liners, mudflaps, nitrogen in the tires, pin stripes ect. simply as grossly overpriced add ons.
^^^^^this^^^^^^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts